E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Do Rear Toe Arms Pivot at Subframe Connection?

07-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Do Rear Toe Arms Pivot at Subframe Connection?

Stupid question but just replaced my rear toe arms and am unsure if there is something wrong with my install process.

If you were to leave the bolt to the hub disconnected and have the bolt at the subframe connected, should the arm pivot up and down from 5oclock to 1 smoothly(Assuming looking from the back on the rear right)?

Mine seems to be very difficult to move up and down and was wondering how this may impact suspension geometry when going over bumps or imperfections.

Thaks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

It is a rubber bushing so it will flex not pivot around because is not a bearing. It will move but not as much as from 1 to 5 o'clock as you discribe it. If it moves like that either the bushing is busted or the eccetrical bolt is not tighten correctly. You need to instal both ends of the toe arm and torque the bolts when the suspension is loaded.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

It moves very little, more or less twisting the rubber bushings than rotate.

Remember to torque it down with the suspension loaded so you don't add any artificial spring rates.
Appreciate 0