E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bimmerlabs 328-to-330 MSV80 Winkfp Install -- Help Please

10-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
bpalmer7440
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Glad you found the problem, For the sake of others, Does your original CAN cable set up read the DME properly through INPA or did you need to modify/switch your DCAN cable. Sounds like my old Z4, Pin 7 and Pin 8 needed to be bridged for the cable to work correctly.
rjahl, yes each of the three unmodified D-CAN cables allow for INPA to communicate with the vehicle, including exercising the DISA valves, and resetting errors. None of them were able to reprogram the DME, which was obviously reprogrammable using other tools. We have never needed to bridge pin 7 and 8 to get the diagnostic part to work. I honestly don't have any idea how the underlying communication with the DME is occurring (perhaps though the JBE?).

All this being said, we do not plan to attempt to reprogram the transmission via his ODB2.

I would really like to know if this in fact was our problem since there are likely more cars out there with the 6-wire ODB2 connector.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #24
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer7440 View Post
We got the DME reprogrammed by BimECU for a very reasonable price. These guys provided very quick communications and service and installed the Bimmerlabs 328-to-330 software on the DME. These guys went above and beyond and we are super happy with their service. When we got the DME/CAS/key back we simply installed these components, cycled the engine a few times and now it is running great. This also allowed us to test the DISA valves using INPA. We really appreciate the hard work of hassmaschine , Terraphantm , rjahl , Levanime for developing the tune and for helping us get it working on this car.

We believe that our primary problem with performing the coding ourselves was due to the ODB2 connection on this particular 2007 328i *not* having CAN bus connections. This is something that we discovered by taking the footwell cover off and inspecting the wiring going into the ODB2. The image below is of the back of our ODB2 plug. The wiring for this ODB2 connection is discussed in this post: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=17
that's not unusual. the 2006 325i/330i doesn't have CAN to the DME either, despite supporting it. It uses K-line only. But still, that shouldn't really matter for most D-CAN cables.
Appreciate 0