E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cheap way to extend valve seal life?

10-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
ianoob
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Cheap way to extend valve seal life?

I was starting to get smoke on cold start and excessive oil consumption (½qt every 500 miles). I have a 6MT and just replaced my CCV, so I started looking up valve seal replacement with a MILV upgrade while I was in there, but time and money were against doing it right away. I tried this product and it seems to be working, no more smoke or consumption, may be a worthwhile additive for others looking at the dreaded BMW valve seal replacement lol.
https://barsleaks.com/product/oil-se...k-repair-os-1/
Appreciate 3
gT-BMW203.00
steifan31.50
lab_rat394.50
      10-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I really doubt it's your valve seals. Most likely, it's the CCV system. I don't think I've ever heard of valve seals being a big issue on the N52.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
ianoob
Rep

Yeah, that is why I replaced the CCV first.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
konner412
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i msport

If you have the magnesium cylinder head cover; Did you replace the hose the drains the oil from the CCV back into the oil pan? There is a check valve that only allows flow into the pan. Over time that valve will get stuck causing oil build up which gets burned up (collected) in the intake manifold.
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      10-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianoob View Post
I was starting to get smoke on cold start and excessive oil consumption (½qt every 500 miles). I have a 6MT and just replaced my CCV, so I started looking up valve seal replacement with a MILV upgrade while I was in there, but time and money were against doing it right away. I tried this product and it seems to be working, no more smoke or consumption, may be a worthwhile additive for others looking at the dreaded BMW valve seal replacement lol.
https://barsleaks.com/product/oil-se...k-repair-os-1/

I also have the same issue. im contemplating just replacing the engine because mine is currently at 190k miles. i had to replace the entire 6spd manual transmission and clutch around 170k miles. I see others getting more miles out of there engine/trans. Just the luck of the draw i guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I really doubt it's your valve seals. Most likely, it's the CCV system. I don't think I've ever heard of valve seals being a big issue on the N52.
Quote:
Originally Posted by konner412 View Post
If you have the magnesium cylinder head cover; Did you replace the hose the drains the oil from the CCV back into the oil pan? There is a check valve that only allows flow into the pan. Over time that valve will get stuck causing oil build up which gets burned up (collected) in the intake manifold.
I have a 325i that consumes oil 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles depending on how it's driven (well not mine anymore but given to a family member and I still service it). I already replaced the CCV along with ALL hoses including the one that drains back to the oil pan. It still burns oil.

I'm thinking valve guide seals or the oil control rings, but I'm aware that neither of these are common failures, at least for the N52B30. There's ZERO visible smoke however, so the oil just stays topped up as needed whenever the +1qt message appears.

This car got neglected by its previous owner late in its life. It was driven in a hot dry and dusty desert environment the last few years before I got it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner didn't change the air filter or got lazy with oil changes - just adding as needed instead of replacing on a schedule.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
ianoob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konner412 View Post
Yes, I did replace all the hoses when I replaced the CCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
I also have the same issue. im contemplating just replacing the engine because mine is currently at 190k miles. i had to replace the entire 6spd manual transmission and clutch around 170k miles. I see others getting more miles out of there engine/trans. Just the luck of the draw i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I have a 325i that consumes oil 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles depending on how it's driven (well not mine anymore but given to a family member and I still service it). I already replaced the CCV along with ALL hoses including the one that drains back to the oil pan. It still burns oil.

I'm thinking valve guide seals or the oil control rings, but I'm aware that neither of these are common failures, at least for the N52B30. There's ZERO visible smoke however, so the oil just stays topped up as needed whenever the +1qt message appears.

This car got neglected by its previous owner late in its life. It was driven in a hot dry and dusty desert environment the last few years before I got it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner didn't change the air filter or got lazy with oil changes - just adding as needed instead of replacing on a schedule.
My car had no visible smoke, but does have carbon on the exhaust tips. My assumption is that the oil is being burnt while engine braking. Try out this product, $20 is much cheaper than $2000. I do not use high milage oil, can't find a full synthetic 0w-40, so I'm thinking I'm basically making my own. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #8
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

Pretty good idea, I mean if the valve stem seals are dry and you soften them up a bit to create a better seal.. why not?

325i '06, 323Ci '00, A3 2,0TDI Q '10, 740 GLT 16V '88
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Could also do a compression check to see if any rings are maybe sticking. I've seen videos before of people leaving fuel cleaners in the cylinder overnight and then blowing it out and taking the car for an Italian tune up and it restores compression and reduces oil consumption