E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 335i Rough Idle/Misfire and No CEL

07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
speedwheels
speedwheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

N54 335i Rough Idle/Misfire and No CEL

Folks,
I spent a good hour searching through the forums on what my symptoms could mean (search yielded coils, vacuum leak and/or plugs) so I have not been lazy before I posted this. I was hoping to get some feedback on what my car symptoms could be.

I have a 2007 BMW N54 335i Sedan with 115k miles on it. About a couple of months ago, my car began having a rough misfiring idle (like it was going to stall) when I started my car. I am pretty sure the rough idle happens everytime I start my car after it has sitting for 3-4 hours. Engine might still be pretty warm in 3-4 hours so I dont know if this is classified as a cold-start condition but those are the parameters under which this occurs. If I give it a little gas (rev past 2k rpm), the engine completely smooths out and once I get driving the rough idle/misfire goes away completely. Power on the highway is normal and after the car has been running for a few minutes, I can idle the car just fine. The problem happens only during start.

Another thing to note: NO Check Engine light.

My plugs were replaced last year and have less than 10k miles on them so I am reasonably confident the issue is not with my spark plugs especially because the misfire does not happen under load.

There is no hesitation during the actual starting of the car (it fires right up to a rough idle) so I am tending to think this is not a HPFP issue. My HPFP was last replaced 2 years ago with the latest BMW part number.

Right now I am thinking clogged/bad injectors(i did run the car to nearly empty on the fuel tank once) or coils (not been replaced for a few years) or perhaps my battery. My battery is on it's last legs and it is possible it is losing charge in the few hours the car sits before I start it and once the car gets going the alternator is able to power the coils (this is a wild guess as I am not sure how effective the alternator is at idle speeds).

I have not pulled codes using a BMW reader, although I did buy an INPA USB-OBD2 cable. The software setup seems very time consuming just to read diagnostic codes (i don't ever plan to code the car).

Does anyone have suggestions on what it could be. I know eventually I will have to take it to someone in the baltimore area to get it scanned but I am trying to have a reasonable understanding of the problem.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
vb7200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2007 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [9.00]
1992 BMW 318i  [10.00]
I've also been experiencing rough starting. I'm thinking it's because of a fuel leak. I've noticed when it's sitting, if I don't let the pumps prime the lines, It will long crank/idle rough when it starts. I've gotten myself into the habit of locking/unlocking the car as I'm walking to it to let the pumps run a little bit, and then it starts fine.
tisdrew97.50
      07-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchilaka View Post
Folks,
I spent a good hour searching through the forums on what my symptoms could mean (search yielded coils, vacuum leak and/or plugs) so I have not been lazy before I posted this. I was hoping to get some feedback on what my car symptoms could be.

I have a 2007 BMW N54 335i Sedan with 115k miles on it. About a couple of months ago, my car began having a rough misfiring idle (like it was going to stall) when I started my car. I am pretty sure the rough idle happens everytime I start my car after it has sitting for 3-4 hours. Engine might still be pretty warm in 3-4 hours so I dont know if this is classified as a cold-start condition but those are the parameters under which this occurs. If I give it a little gas (rev past 2k rpm), the engine completely smooths out and once I get driving the rough idle/misfire goes away completely. Power on the highway is normal and after the car has been running for a few minutes, I can idle the car just fine. The problem happens only during start.

My plugs were replaced last year and have less than 10k miles on them so I am reasonably confident the issue is not with my spark plugs especially because the misfire does not happen under load.

There is no hesitation during the actual starting of the car (it fires right up to a rough idle) so I am tending to think this is not a HPFP issue. My HPFP was last replaced 2 years ago with the latest BMW part number.

Right now I am thinking clogged/bad injectors(i did run the car to nearly empty on the fuel tank once) or coils (not been replaced for a few years) or perhaps my battery. My battery is on it's last legs and it is possible it is losing charge in the few hours the car sits before I start it and once the car gets going the alternator is able to power the coils (this is a wild guess as I am not sure how effective the alternator is at idle speeds).

I have not pulled codes using a BMW reader, although I did buy an INPA USB-OBD2 cable. The software setup seems very time consuming just to read diagnostic codes (i don't ever plan to code the car).

Does anyone have suggestions on what it could be. I know eventually I will have to take it to someone in the baltimore area to get it scanned but I am trying to have a reasonable understanding of the problem.

Free mhd app would be quite suitable and very easy to read codes, uses the cable but needs usb to micr usb adapter.
      07-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
speedwheels
speedwheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Free mhd app would be quite suitable and very easy to read codes, uses the cable but needs usb to micr usb adapter.
Oh. Didn't know about the MHD app. I assume the free version can read codes. I happen to have an OTG cable. Will try it out. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
speedwheels
speedwheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb7200 View Post
I've also been experiencing rough starting. I'm thinking it's because of a fuel leak. I've noticed when it's sitting, if I don't let the pumps prime the lines, It will long crank/idle rough when it starts. I've gotten myself into the habit of locking/unlocking the car as I'm walking to it to let the pumps run a little bit, and then it starts fine.
This is a different problem than what I am having. My car fires right up, it just hiccups after starting. The symptoms you describe (long crank plus rough idle) are the ones I had when my HPFP went out.. You might want to scan as well..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
makethiscardriveable
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Reviving some old stuff here but I have almost the same rough idle issues. Vacuum lines done, Index 12 injectors, hpfp replaced, spark plugs and coils done. Not sure what else to do
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

It's not coil packs. If it were, you would get hesitation during WOT and higher rpms.
      06-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethiscardriveable View Post
Reviving some old stuff here but I have almost the same rough idle issues. Vacuum lines done, Index 12 injectors, hpfp replaced, spark plugs and coils done. Not sure what else to do
My car does this also. I've done all the same things you did in addition to cleaning the intake valves. It only seems to do it when the car is first started. Mostly the first 30 seconds while the car is running rich. Although, I'm not too worried about it. The car runs great once it's warm.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

Sounds like I have a similar if not the same issue (albeit different engine n43 2.0i). Car starts up easily, then runs a bit rough at idle. It runs very rough and lumpy for the first 5 mins of driving then runs and idles totally fine. Don't want to hijack your thread but would be great to know if you solve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #10
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Have any of you guys walnut blasted the intake? It sounds very similar to clogged intake ports. When it gets bad the idle is affected big time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Sure, could be you need a walnut blast but in my experience, idle issues related to carbon buildup at the intake ports don't go away after 5 minutes of running.

Why don't you log/monitor during startup and initial running? I'd suggest looking at VANOS values actual versus commanded but of course, there could be many explanations for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #12
cmh269
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi 6spd Manual JB4

Hoping to revive this thread. I'm having very similar symptoms on my 08 535. I'm really suspecting something to do with the VANOS or possibly O2 sensors for a couple reasons:
1) Problem disappears once oil temp has warmed up.
2) The misfire is so inconsistent. When first starting engine idles at around 1200rpm...no problem. Gradually makes its way down to about 700....no problem. Then for the final drop down to 600rpm, you actually feel a very noticeable shudder and BAM, rough idle at around 600-650rpm. This eventually settles down as the car warms up. If I wait 5 mins (more in the Canadian winter) before driving everything is normal. If I try to drive right away, I feel a loss of power and a lot of studdering, fluttering feel to the engine. The AFR seems ok, so I'm suspecting something to do with VANOS....

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh269 View Post
Hoping to revive this thread. I'm having very similar symptoms on my 08 535. I'm really suspecting something to do with the VANOS or possibly O2 sensors for a couple reasons:
2) The misfire is so inconsistent. When first starting engine idles at around 1200rpm...no problem. Gradually makes its way down to about 700....no problem. Then for the final drop down to 600rpm, you actually feel a very noticeable shudder and BAM, rough idle at around 600-650rpm. This eventually settles down as the car warms up. If I wait 5 mins (more in the Canadian winter) before driving everything is normal. If I try to drive right away, I feel a loss of power and a lot of studdering, fluttering feel to the engine. The AFR seems ok, so I'm suspecting something to do with VANOS....

Any thoughts?
Assuming you have MHD

Try adjusting Idle rpm to 700 or 750rpm

I've set mine (335i) to 750rpm and it's smooth as butter at idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

For all you guys having right idling issues after startup.....you have checked for leaky injector(s) right? Very common issue that causes rough idleing right after startup.

Fuel leaks out of the injector as the motor sits for a while...runs right down to the tip of the sparkplug. It takes a while to burn that excess fuel off of the plug right after startup...so you get rough idleing and/or misfires.

It's easy to check for leaking injectors. Pull the spark plugs out in the morning before you start the car for the first time. If any are wet or even smell like fuel, that cylinder has a leaky injector. Replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 06:27 PM   #15
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwheels View Post
Folks,

Have an '07 335i too with the exact same issue. Did anyone pinpoint a solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #16
Klos
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh269 View Post

Any thoughts?

Have you figured out the problem yet, mine is exactly the same
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:53 AM   #17
AZM40i
Silver Bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makethiscardriveable View Post
I was in the same boat except the hpfp. I had a rough idle with random misses. Replaced valve cover housing as the gasket was rolled. Replaced coils and plugs. Installed new to me injectors with lower miles and no previous issues. Still had rough idle. Stutters idle. You could tell it was missing in idle but it was hard to mark it happen under load. Sixth gear. Floored to the resistance point. Still no miss. So finally me and my buddy started switching stuff from his car to mine. He has a n54 with no missing. Threw his Ngk step colder from a n20 in and the problem went away. Idle is smooth and no misses. BMW part # 12-12-0-039-6641002D $105 for 6. You should try it.
Appreciate 0