E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 shakes at low rpms in first gear

06-21-2022, 09:55 PM   #1
s54fanatic
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N5

N54 shakes at low rpms in first gear

Hi I have an E90 n54 rwd with about 180k kms or 112k miles. Recently it started shaking at lower rpms in first gear when im taking off from a complete stop and it will misfire in wide open throttle. if I press my throttle about 25% it wont really shake but if I go half way or wide open i feel my car shaking and it I feel it coming from my rear wheels. I don't get any engine code or anything from the stutters at lower rpms. I did however have a similar issue when I had my mhd Stage 1+ tune. if I applied more than half throttle under load I would feel the engine stutter and my rear wheels would shake. I would also get a code and specifically cyl3 would be misfiring so I'd pull over clear the codes and all good. I figured I shouldnt have any stage tune if I havent finished all my preventative maintenance so I took the tune off and it'd no longer misfire. Its been about 4 months now and it shakes at lower rpms in first gear and also wide open throttle. I believe the sparks were done by the previous owner at 130k or 140k kms. Could it just be my sparks? or could it be something else? I've tried to look in other forums but couldnt find anything. someone mentioned that sometimes the misfire will be felt in the form of a shake from the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 03:40 AM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s54fanatic View Post
Hi I have an E90 n54 rwd with about 180k kms or 112k miles. Recently it started shaking at lower rpms in first gear when im taking off from a complete stop and it will misfire in wide open throttle. if I press my throttle about 25% it wont really shake but if I go half way or wide open i feel my car shaking and it I feel it coming from my rear wheels. I don't get any engine code or anything from the stutters at lower rpms. I did however have a similar issue when I had my mhd Stage 1+ tune. if I applied more than half throttle under load I would feel the engine stutter and my rear wheels would shake. I would also get a code and specifically cyl3 would be misfiring so I'd pull over clear the codes and all good. I figured I shouldnt have any stage tune if I havent finished all my preventative maintenance so I took the tune off and it'd no longer misfire. Its been about 4 months now and it shakes at lower rpms in first gear and also wide open throttle. I believe the sparks were done by the previous owner at 130k or 140k kms. Could it just be my sparks? or could it be something else? I've tried to look in other forums but couldnt find anything. someone mentioned that sometimes the misfire will be felt in the form of a shake from the wheels.
So the spark plugs were changed over 40k miles ago?

They are due for a change, you can leave MHD installed with Stage 0 stock. map. Misfires don't go away if tou just clear codes. They are typically caused by plugs/coils or injectors. Start with the cheapest plugs and coils, swap to q different cylinder to help identify which is failing. Personally at that mileage I'd change all 6 plugs and Coils.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #3
s54fanatic
Registered
Rep

Yeah the sparks were overdue tbh. But is it normal that the rear wheels shake n jitter in first at lower speeds? Like are the misfire causing that?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the sparks were overdue tbh. But is it normal that the rear wheels shake n jitter in first at lower speeds? Like are the misfire causing that?
No its not normal, have you read the codes using MHD, Protool or INPA?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
s54fanatic
Registered
Rep

Well if im in first gear taking off from a complete stop the rear wheels kinda make a vibration but it doesnt throw any codes. If i do a pull; wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd thats when it throws a code:
29CF-DME: combustion misfires, cylinder 3.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
s54fanatic
Registered
Rep

Also I dont know if this has got anything to do with it cuz like i said i never got any vibrations from my rear wheels at any point previously but im still on my winter sets 225’s all around.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well if im in first gear taking off from a complete stop the rear wheels kinda make a vibration but it doesnt throw any codes. If i do a pull; wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd thats when it throws a code:
29CF-DME: combustion misfires, cylinder 3.
Swap plugs/coils to another cylinder and see misfire follows, if it doesn't next do the same for injectors, replace the injector seals whilst your at it.
Appreciate 0