E90Post
 


Coby Wheel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 rear shock absorbers OEM SACHS replacement



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #1
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

E92 rear shock absorbers OEM SACHS replacement

I'm kind of lost while trying to choose right shock absorbers for the car.
Decided on SACHS and want to confirm part number to be 100% sure.

Car is '07 e92 330xD 170KW (xDrive without M package).
I checked springs on car - C3 (standard suspension).
Realoem shows following part number for shock absorber: 33 52 6 779 985
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
1976
Rep
3,338
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

BMW Shock Absorber - Sachs 311-409

BMW Part Number: 33526779985
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
BMW Shock Absorber - Sachs 311-409

BMW Part Number: 33526779985
Thanks, 100% sure? I literally have Sachs catalogue in front of me which states: 311-410
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
1976
Rep
3,338
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
Thanks, 100% sure? I literally have Sachs catalogue in front of me which states: 311-410
Nothing in life is for sure.

I checked the bmw part number on realoem.com with your car year and model. I then entered that number in fcpeuro.com and got the Sachs part number.

Edit:
On realoem.com it shows that 33526779985 is superseded by 33526796469 which shows up on fcpeuro as Sachs 311-410

Someone on fcp asked this:

Question Posted by a customer
What is the difference between these Sachs 31–409 and the blue label Sachs 311-410?
Answer (Posted by FCP Euro Products Team)
311-409 is for vehicles with a standard suspension and 311-410 is for vehicles with a sport suspension.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...35i-311-409#qa

Last edited by Wolf 335; 06-07-2022 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
czrny4.50
      06-08-2022, 04:09 AM   #5
bmw_solid
Second Lieutenant
bmw_solid's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red
Join Date: May 2020
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Beware - In UK SACHS does not do a Standard (Non M Sport) rear shock. I did this mistake and later ended up selling them and putting on Bilstein B4s Standard OEM non m sport shocks.
Appreciate 1
czrny4.50
      06-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Beware - In UK SACHS does not do a Standard (Non M Sport) rear shock. I did this mistake and later ended up selling them and putting on Bilstein B4s Standard OEM non m sport shocks.
Which part number did you get (shocks?)
I'm in EU went through Sachs catalogue - they have only 311 410 shocks matching to my VIN. Contacted two sellers and they say these are OK.

I pretty much decided on following:
Sachs 311 410 Shocks
Sachs 900 126 Wheel Suspensions (900 127 are for sport suspension)

I may end up buying Bilstein B4s just to be sure. What a mess.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3351976.00
      06-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
edycol
Major
911
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Get B4. Better shock. Or even better, get B6.
Appreciate 1
czrny4.50
      06-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #8
whyzee125
Colonel
878
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

I think you're overthinking this. A lot of part numbers get superseded, replaced, updated, etc.

If it shows it's for your model, that's the shock to get. Bilstein B4 is probably not a better shock but is an equivalent shock so that'll work too.
Appreciate 1
jacbo56.00
      06-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #9
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I think you're overthinking this. A lot of part numbers get superseded, replaced, updated, etc.

If it shows it's for your model, that's the shock to get. Bilstein B4 is probably not a better shock but is an equivalent shock so that'll work too.
You might be right but getting work done on car is getting difficult at place where I live so want to get this right first time.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3351976.00
      06-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #10
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Get B4. Better shock. Or even better, get B6.
I'm hearing good things, B4 being stiffer than OEM / Sachs. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #11
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

I went with Bilstein B4s and supports from Sachs. Here's list of parts for reference. Thanks guys.

19-135021 Bilstein B4 absorbers
900 126 Sachs covers and stops
802 547 Sachs bottom strut mount
802 548 Sachs top strut mount
802 549 Sachs top strut mount

Last edited by czrny; 06-09-2022 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3351976.00
      06-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #12
bmw_solid
Second Lieutenant
bmw_solid's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red
Join Date: May 2020
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
I went with Bilstein B4s and supports from Sachs. Here's list of parts for reference. Thanks guys.

19-135021 Bilstein B4 absorbers
900 126 Sachs covers and stops
802 547 Sachs bottom strut mount
802 548 Sachs top strut mount
802 549 Sachs top strut mount
Good choice - I dont get why people think B4s are not good! Bilstein is by far the best German OEM for BMW and Mercedes etc. B4s are not some 'universal' dampers for all makes and models - they are the OEM equivalent and tuned for the specific requirements of the model. B8, B12s etc are the 'better than OEM' solution according to my research? Anyone know more about this topic?

The B4 and SACHS are both the OEM solution...B4 is not a non-OEM solution...

From what research I did couple of years back, I usually found people really hated the SACHS dampers and some people said LCI E9x models had their suspension made by Bilstein also and co-incidentally the LCI drove better...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
edycol
Major
911
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Get B4. Better shock. Or even better, get B6.
I'm hearing good things, B4 being stiffer than OEM / Sachs. We'll see.
Yes, genera agreement is 10%. I was thinking to go, but I occasionally track car. I drive daughter to daycare every day, take car to ski. It is my DD. I put around 25k minimum every year. Got B6 and never looked back! Not harsh (I don't have lowering springs), and I even have M3 wishbones in the back, stiffer mounts and polyurethane bushings.

But, if you go B4, go Monroe lower mounts in the back. Cheap, BIG upgrade!
Appreciate 1
czrny4.50
      06-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
But, if you go B4, go Monroe lower mounts in the back. Cheap, BIG upgrade!
Interesting, wondering how mounts can make substantial impact on handling both Monroe and Sachs look solid.

Last edited by czrny; 06-10-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #15
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Good choice - I dont get why people think B4s are not good! Bilstein is by far the best German OEM for BMW and Mercedes etc. B4s are not some 'universal' dampers for all makes and models - they are the OEM equivalent and tuned for the specific requirements of the model. B8, B12s etc are the 'better than OEM' solution according to my research? Anyone know more about this topic?

The B4 and SACHS are both the OEM solution...B4 is not a non-OEM solution...

From what research I did couple of years back, I usually found people really hated the SACHS dampers and some people said LCI E9x models had their suspension made by Bilstein also and co-incidentally the LCI drove better...
Have to admit I never was too happy with back handling so, again, will try out Bilstein.

BMW OEM's price is 3.5 times and you don't know what you get - like you said it's either SACHS or Bilstein from what I hear.

PS. current shocks passed inspection and were in good condition until one of them started leaking week ago
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #16
edycol
Major
911
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
But, if you go B4, go Monroe lower mounts in the back. Cheap, BIG upgrade!
Interesting, wondering how mounts can make substantial impact on handling both Monroe and Sachs look solid.
Monroe are solid rubber unlike OE or OEM. Spongy ones are designed to mitigate RFT effects.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
edycol
Major
911
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Good choice - I dont get why people think B4s are not good! Bilstein is by far the best German OEM for BMW and Mercedes etc. B4s are not some 'universal' dampers for all makes and models - they are the OEM equivalent and tuned for the specific requirements of the model. B8, B12s etc are the 'better than OEM' solution according to my research? Anyone know more about this topic?

The B4 and SACHS are both the OEM solution...B4 is not a non-OEM solution...

From what research I did couple of years back, I usually found people really hated the SACHS dampers and some people said LCI E9x models had their suspension made by Bilstein also and co-incidentally the LCI drove better...
Have to admit I never was too happy with back handling so, again, will try out Bilstein.

BMW OEM's price is 3.5 times and you don't know what you get - like you said it's either SACHS or Bilstein from what I hear.

PS. current shocks passed inspection and were in good condition until one of them started leaking week ago
SACHS are OE.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #18
whyzee125
Colonel
878
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
You might be right but getting work done on car is getting difficult at place where I live so want to get this right first time.
I feel that, impossible to get anything done right here too lol
Appreciate 1
czrny4.50
      06-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #19
edycol
Major
911
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

By the way, change ALL four dampers!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #20
czrny
New Member
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: e92 330xD
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrny View Post
I went with Bilstein B4s and supports from Sachs. Here's list of parts for reference. Thanks guys.

19-135021 Bilstein B4 absorbers
900 126 Sachs covers and stops
802 547 Sachs bottom strut mount
802 548 Sachs top strut mount
802 549 Sachs top strut mount
Got this changed today. With these parts (top mounts and stops) new dampener is lengthwise is 1:1 vs OE.

Currently body sits 7mm-10mm higher than before replacement - either rubber mounts were so beaten (they were visibly but nothing terrible) or suspension needs to settle in.

Car feels stiffer in the back when cornering and going on power out of corner.
Unfortunately I'm unable to tell whether Bilstein is 10% stiffer than Sachs / OE but happy with current handling.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST