E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Aftermarket FMIC install screws needed

11-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Aftermarket FMIC install screws needed

I have a VRSF FMIC which comes only with screws, the kind that look like wood screws, which have to be removed anytime I need to remove the FMIC. I'd much rather have the screw/bolts like those in the picture below because because removing/installing the regular screws will eventually wear the holes or risk cracking them. Those in the picture allow the screws to stay in place and simply loosen the nut to remove. This would also make reinstalling the FMIC easier to align.

And no I'm not constantly removing the FMIC but I've had to remove or loosen it several times in the 4 years I've had it for various reasons like turbo outlet install, fixing a boost leak. Now I'll be replacing the turbo and will be removing/reinstalling it again.
Attached Images

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Just get hanger bolts instead. I had VRSF screws and they didn't last in the plastic. Hanger bolts is working well right now.
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      11-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Why do you need to remove your IC so often? I've had no issues with the wood screws.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We have thousands of intercoolers installed using the supplied hardware without issue and I can personally back that claim up with the experience we've had removing and installing the many revised versions of this intercooler on our shop car
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Why do you need to remove your IC so often? I've had no issues with the wood screws.

"And no I'm not constantly removing the FMIC but I've had to remove or loosen it several times in the 4 years I've had it for various reasons like turbo outlet install, fixing a boost leak. Now I'll be replacing the turbo and will be removing/reinstalling it again."

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Just get hanger bolts instead. I had VRSF screws and they didn't last in the plastic. Hanger bolts is working well right now.
"Hanger bolts", that's exactly what I needed to know. I see Lowes carries them and will be hitting them up this weekend when I do my PS2 upgrade. Thanks!

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #7
glocknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We have thousands of intercoolers installed using the supplied hardware without issue and I can personally back that claim up with the experience we've had removing and installing the many revised versions of this intercooler on our shop car
I used the supplied hardware with your intercooler. It works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsontryn View Post
I have installed hundreds of intercoolers using the supplied hardware without any issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknick View Post
I used the supplied hardware with your intercooler. It works great.
Do VRSF still use a normal Philips screw or they now include bolts and hanger screws?

I had no issues installing it with the Philips screw hardware it's just over time when you remove it and reinstall it the normal screw looses it's hold. One time my screw just completely fell out and my intercooler was hanging on one side.

But with the threads of hanger bolts, those bit into the plastic much better and stronger and is definitely a more secure and longer solution compared to just a screw. The plastic threads doesn't get damaged since you just remove the nut that is on the metal threads of the hanger bolt and the plastic thread is untouched.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
glocknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Do VRSF still use a normal Philips screw or they now include bolts and hanger screws?

I had no issues installing it with the Philips screw hardware it's just over time when you remove it and reinstall it the normal screw looses it's hold. One time my screw just completely fell out and my intercooler was hanging on one side.

But with the threads of hanger bolts, those bit into the plastic much better and stronger and is definitely a more secure and longer solution compared to just a screw. The plastic threads doesn't get damaged since you just remove the nut that is on the metal threads of the hanger bolt and the plastic thread is untouched.
The 7.5 VRSF intercooler I bought in 2020 came with regular screws.
Appreciate 0