E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need suggestions on coilovers

04-26-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i Coupe

Need suggestions on coilovers

I'm in the market for coilovers, I've looked at ohlins, kw and Broadway static. Ive read ohlins don't go that low and don't have rear adjustable dampening. Broadway static won't answer my calls or message and I haven't looked too hard into kw awful much. Any other options I can look into. I have blown OEM paired with h&r springs on the car now

Last edited by Ryan E92 335i; 04-26-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

If your goal is to go low, just remove the springs and ride the bump stops.

If you want a great setup with better performance, look Ohlin or KW.

If you're happy with your existing drop and on a budget, get Koni Yellows with your current springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
If your goal is to go low, just remove the springs and ride the bump stops.

If you want a great setup with better performance, look Ohlin or KW.

If you're happy with your existing drop and on a budget, get Koni Yellows with your current springs.
I'm cool to spend the money on ohlins or kws. I'm just wanting feedback/opinions on more options before I drop 3k. Worried the ohlins won't keep the car the same height and I won't be able to adjust the rear dampening
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
Will335i
The Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [1.00]
Does your e92 have the ZSP option? Are you currently on the stock suspension? It is hard to comment on how the options you are looking at will compare height wise.

The next thing is what are your goals? Are you just wanting coilovers for the look? If so I would push you to BC Racing. You want DD that performs better than stock then yes Ohlin or KW. Pure track toy, then JRZ or Moton.

IIRC none of the coilover options are going to sit higher than stock at their highest and I think they are all at the ZSP height or lower.

On the Ohlins just be aware there are two kits out there for our cars. You want the newer one with the updated springs BMU-MI01. Or if you want to spend a little more get the kit that 3DM offers with the swift springs, custom valving and Vorshlag camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
Does your e92 have the ZSP option? Are you currently on the stock suspension? It is hard to comment on how the options you are looking at will compare height wise.

The next thing is what are your goals? Are you just wanting coilovers for the look? If so I would push you to BC Racing. You want DD that performs better than stock then yes Ohlin or KW. Pure track toy, then JRZ or Moton.

IIRC none of the coilover options are going to sit higher than stock at their highest and I think they are all at the ZSP height or lower.

On the Ohlins just be aware there are two kits out there for our cars. You want the newer one with the updated springs BMU-MI01. Or if you want to spend a little more get the kit that 3DM offers with the swift springs, custom valving and Vorshlag camber plates.
To be completely honest I'm not sure what suspension the car has on it other than stock. All I know is a PO put h&r springs on and they blew the struts. It's not a DD I want to have fun with the car in corners n some straight line pulls on the weekends. Im not sure if I want to track build it or drag strip build. Leaning to drag build as I want an e92 m3 and that's already more of a track car. For now a solid coilover set is wanted. I'll give JRZ and Moton a look thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan E92 335i View Post
To be completely honest I'm not sure what suspension the car has on it other than stock. All I know is a PO put h&r springs on and they blew the struts. It's not a DD I want to have fun with the car in corners n some straight line pulls on the weekends. Im not sure if I want to track build it or drag strip build. Leaning to drag build as I want an e92 m3 and that's already more of a track car. For now a solid coilover set is wanted. I'll give JRZ and Moton a look thank you
I am actually a BC racing dealer but really just focus on a few non BMW applications. I can order the BMW BC coilovers if you are interested. There is a fixed price set by BC so all dealers are supposed to charge the same price...

Just realize that coilovers are quite different than a stock suspension. They have less travel (usually only about 5" total with 2.5" up and down) and linear springs that are usually at a higher rate than stock. Because of less travel and higher spring rates they have a different feel for daily driving.

The big advantage of a true coilover like a BC is that when you lower the car the shock travel remains centered because the adjustment is in the bottom mount. This isn't the case for all coilovers, some just lose downward travel the same way that lowering a stock suspension by changing springs or cutting coils without changing the struts does.

-Rich
      04-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #7
Will335i
The Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan E92 335i View Post
You can use a vin decoder to see what packages were included on the car.

JRZ and Moton are OVERKILL for a drag car. LSD, wide tires and subframe bushing are probably your best spent dollars if you are looking at a drag build.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You can use a vin decoder to see what packages were included on the car.

JRZ and Moton are OVERKILL for a drag car. LSD, wide tires and subframe bushing are probably your best spent dollars if you are looking at a drag build.
I was gonna have my dealership friends get me window stickers of my cars. And yeah I'm kinda over it and might just get kw v3s. The clubsports look nice but not wanting to spend more than 3k
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Just got the options list and it says code 0ZSP sport package
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

honestly bc coilovers are pretty decent value for the price with camber plates and especially if you plan to go super low anyways. for under 3k I probably go with bilstein and camber plates, with plates that be over 3k with ohlins as my other choice
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I've recently become aware of the ST XTA coilovers. They seem to be a great value.

Basically a KW V2 in a galvanized housing, with clubsport linear front springs and camber plates for like $1400. Not a bad middle-tier out of the box setup for pretty cheap!
Appreciate 0