E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoking Issue

06-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Smoking Issue

I've had a smoking issue on my n54 when it idles for a couple of weeks now. I tested compression and they all came back between 168-177 so I know that's good. So my next step was maybe it was the low side PCV system since my high side is VTA. So I ordered a catch can and set that up a week ago and I figured that would solve it but it's still smoking on and off and the longer it sits the worse it gets.. Car still hits boost without issues and it doesn't misfire or have idle issues, no codes either.

I have a Speedtech Borgwarner bottom mount kit fyi.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post
I've had a smoking issue on my n54 when it idles for a couple of weeks now. I tested compression and they all came back between 168-177 so I know that's good. So my next step was maybe it was the low side PCV system since my high side is VTA. So I ordered a catch can and set that up a week ago and I figured that would solve it but it's still smoking on and off and the longer it sits the worse it gets.. Car still hits boost without issues and it doesn't misfire or have idle issues, no codes either.

How 'bout commenting on where the smoke is coming from? If its from your tail pipe, then its all good (lol). If its from engine compartment, high probability that you may have a leaking valve gasket cover, or turbo seals are failing. Does the smoke have a burnt oil smell?
      06-27-2022, 05:38 AM   #3
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Quote:

How 'bout commenting on where the smoke is coming from? If its from your tail pipe, then its all good (lol). If its from engine compartment, high probability that you may have a leaking valve gasket cover, or turbo seals are failing. Does the smoke have a burnt oil smell?
Oh sorry I thought I mentioned that. It's coming out of the tail pipes and it does smell like burning oil. I have a tiny bit of oil on the valve cover but no oil in the cylinders themselves. Zero smoke in the engine bay. This is my 2nd n54 so I have some a good amount of knowledge with them but this issue has confused me lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:30 AM   #4
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Quote:

Oh sorry I thought I mentioned that. It's coming out of the tail pipes and it does smell like burning oil. I have a tiny bit of oil on the valve cover but no oil in the cylinders themselves. Zero smoke in the engine bay. This is my 2nd n54 so I have some a good amount of knowledge with them but this issue has confused me lol
I'm guessing you have oil leaking into the exhaust system through the seals in the turbos. The minor oil leak in the engine bay is prob the VCG, which sometimes drops oil which will smoke from the engine bay.
      06-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #5
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3, 2007 335i e92

Does it only smoke when the oil is say 210 or higher and at very slow speeds/idling?

I've got a similar issue (stock turbos), just did a new VC/VCG, OHFG, have a low side OCC and upgraded PCV.

It smokes so much it's quite embarrassing once the oil gets over 210 at idle speed.

We may both be looking a rings, stem seals, or Turbo seals. I also had great compression #'s, 175-180.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubieman View Post
Does it only smoke when the oil is say 210 or higher and at very slow speeds/idling?

I've got a similar issue (stock turbos), just did a new VC/VCG, OHFG, have a low side OCC and upgraded PCV.

It smokes so much it's quite embarrassing once the oil gets over 210 at idle speed.

We may both be looking a rings, stem seals, or Turbo seals. I also had great compression #'s, 175-180.
LOL add me to the smokey boi list. I have smoke through the exhaust. It's getting embarassing. Mostly my left tailpipe while at idle/traffic lights. I burn about a quart in 1k miles. Great compression on the motor, no codes,new vcg, I've got low and high side catch cans, but some non oem unknown turbos that I assume are failing. I'm on a JB4 and make the requested 14 psi. I may just go some Viv 17ts and keep it under 20 psi and I don't drive my car a ton so maybe the turbos will last a longer time.

Either that or I'll pull the turbos out and see if I can replace the seals etc with a turbo Labs kit or something but for all the effort and $300 kit cost I might just go the china turbo route for $800.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Mine smokes after it's been idling for about 5+ minutes or so. Once it warms up fully then it starts to smoke a lot more. Im thinking either my high side pcv flapper is going bad possibly or maybe the turbo seals are bad since the turbo is getting to be 3 years old pretty soon. But it's a pita to get off so I'm trying to narrow it down before I take it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
Quote:

LOL add me to the smokey boi list. I have smoke through the exhaust. It's getting embarassing. Mostly my left tailpipe while at idle/traffic lights. I burn about a quart in 1k miles. Great compression on the motor, no codes,new vcg, I've got low and high side catch cans, but some non oem unknown turbos that I assume are failing. I'm on a JB4 and make the requested 14 psi. I may just go some Viv 17ts and keep it under 20 psi and I don't drive my car a ton so maybe the turbos will last a longer time.

Either that or I'll pull the turbos out and see if I can replace the seals etc with a turbo Labs kit or something but for all the effort and $300 kit cost I might just go the china turbo route for $800.
Yeah, You probably have failing turbos from what it sounds like. I've heard the Chinese turbos gotta stay under 20 psi or else they fail pretty quickly after that
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have a question, what would cause the smoking ONLY after the oil is >210F°?

I would think valve stem seals and/or piston rings would smoke immediately however as we know oil thins out as it gets hot and can find it's why through smaller passages than when the oil was cold.

I had a hose from my charge pipe blow off last week, no boost but also no smoking. However due to the lack of the turbos the oil temp didn't quite make it to where it generally starts to smoke at temperature wise.

The PO of my vehicle put brand new Dorman brand turbos on, they have less than 300miles on them, I'd like to point the finger at non-OEM turbos but not so sure. I have massive amounts of oil in the intake tract constantly however pointing at the new Dorman turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
If you're ok taking a gamble, you can try Blue Devil stop smoke. I'm ready to part with my car but want to drive it for a few more months so I tried it as band-aid, working so far and smoke in engine bay, blue smoke after sitting for a while (valve stem seal symptom) and oil pan gasket leak has stopped for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjm7 View Post
If you're ok taking a gamble, you can try Blue Devil stop smoke. I'm ready to part with my car but want to drive it for a few more months so I tried it as band-aid, working so far and smoke in engine bay, blue smoke after sitting for a while (valve stem seal symptom) and oil pan gasket leak has stopped for now.

So what about white smoke after sitting for a while?

Also, wouldn't valve stem seals smoke immediately or does the oil not seep through the seals until its thinned out (hot)?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
So what about white smoke after sitting for a while?

Also, wouldn't valve stem seals smoke immediately or does the oil not seep through the seals until its thinned out (hot)?
From what I know - valve stem seal leak is a slow drip into the cylinders so it will accumulate on top of the piston over time. So starting up after a few days would smoke this accumulation out and create smoke out the tailpipes
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #13
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjm7 View Post
From what I know - valve stem seal leak is a slow drip into the cylinders so it will accumulate on top of the piston over time. So starting up after a few days would smoke this accumulation out and create smoke out the tailpipes
I somehow typed the wrong question, what I meant to ask was:

What would cause white smoke only after the car is up to temperature?

In my case the car only seems to have significant quantities of smoke during very low RPMs, like idling.

I did find oil on top of a few pistons indicating possible valve stem issues and/or ring issues on those cylinders, I have something allowing oil to build up in the intake as well, buts let's say it's the turbos blowing oil into the intake, I would think that all cylinders would have at least some oil on top and not just a few.

I may have multiple issues going on unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #14
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
I somehow typed the wrong question, what I meant to ask was:

What would cause white smoke only after the car is up to temperature?

In my case the car only seems to have significant quantities of smoke during very low RPMs, like idling.

I did find oil on top of a few pistons indicating possible valve stem issues and/or ring issues on those cylinders, I have something allowing oil to build up in the intake as well, buts let's say it's the turbos blowing oil into the intake, I would think that all cylinders would have at least some oil on top and not just a few.

I may have multiple issues going on unfortunately.
Sounds like turbo seal?. Maybe not hot enough/enough oil flowing in when cold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #15
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well fwiw I pulled my down pipes and found 0 evidence of oil in my turbos, at the least the hot side.

I did pull the inlet on the rear turbo (the bank that smokes the most) and it looked clean as well.

How could oil end up in my intake as far away as the turbo outlets if it's not comming from the turbos themselves?

It's SO bad when it smokes and smells like burnt plastic, nasty shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #16
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Quote:
Well fwiw I pulled my down pipes and found 0 evidence of oil in my turbos, at the least the hot side.

I did pull the inlet on the rear turbo (the bank that smokes the most) and it looked clean as well.

How could oil end up in my intake as far away as the turbo outlets if it's not comming from the turbos themselves?

It's SO bad when it smokes and smells like burnt plastic, nasty shit.
n54 has a low side and high side pcv, high side(under boost) is what goes into the rear inlet. The low side( vacuum) is done through the valve cover. Oil vapours are dumped through the head ports right before the valves. Google n54 pcv head port plug kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #17
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
I have the same type of smoking now, it is not consistent and I believe it is a turbo seal. I get oil smelling gray smoke at idle (usually at a stop light so that I can smoke out the car behind me).

It seems to happen at idle shortly after startup and when I ran some boost on the previous run. I do always make sure to let the car run for a bit before shutting down but I think it then still leaks some oil into the downpipes which burns off the next time I start the car. I am still working to determine if that is the consistent pattern...

My plugs have stayed clean so it seems like it is a leak after the engine.

I have the RBturbo external PCV kit with catch can and also the boost side catch can (boost side never seems to catch much though).

I will probably be looking at new turbos in the next couple of months...

-Rich
      07-08-2022, 08:31 PM   #18
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

How many miles on your turbskis? Has the VCG ever been done? PCV? Are you losing oil between changes?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 12:21 AM   #19
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
How many miles on your turbskis? Has the VCG ever been done? PCV? Are you losing oil between changes?
Turbos (Dorman brand) have less than 500miles on them, just did a new VC/VCG, RB internal PCV, low side catch can. Haven't had the car long enough to see how much oil it looses over time unfortunately. I've got an oil pan gasket leak and even with that I don't seem to be losing much oil, but I don't drive the car that often.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #20
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Turbos (Dorman brand) have less than 500miles on them, just did a new VC/VCG, RB internal PCV, low side catch can. Haven't had the car long enough to see how much oil it looses over time unfortunately. I've got an oil pan gasket leak and even with that I don't seem to be losing much oil, but I don't drive the car that often.
Oh I think I replied on your other thread, didn't realize it was the same person.

Are you sure it's oil and not fuel? What index are your injectors?

If it's most definitely oil, it's likely your turbos or valve stem seals. Are you catless?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 11:44 AM   #21
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Oh I think I replied on your other thread, didn't realize it was the same person.

Are you sure it's oil and not fuel? What index are your injectors?

If it's most definitely oil, it's likely your turbos or valve stem seals. Are you catless?
Index 11's, it's catless, thinking stem seals as well..thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #22
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Index 11's, it's catless, thinking stem seals as well..thanks for your help
I deal with dorman parts on a daily basis... I would be much more likely to believe it is the dormans and not the valve stems. Did you do the install? You would have noticed a valve stem seal leak if it were the issue at that time. If it's only happening at higher oil temps, i'd be even more inclined to believe it is the turbos. I have warrantied/returned so many god damn garbage dorman seals in my life it isn't funny. Failed turbos will look clean for awhile when checking the exhaust if it's not too bad, this is because it's leaking when hot and everything is burning off/traveling down the exhaust. I know this because when my rear failed, I checked every 2 weeks for 4 months, nothing in the exhaust. It was a very slow failure. Month 6 when I finally replaced the turbos, there was a very small amount of oil on the exhaust side of my rear turbo. Smoking issue has never come back.

Valve stems usually only smoke on startup as well.