E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC unit differences

11-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
damirj79
Rep
Drives: E91 325d

CIC unit differences

Hi,

i am trying to perform upgrade from CCC unit to CIC or even NBT. But browsing through ebay I found that F series also had CIC unit. Now the question is, what is the difference, if any, between CIC from E90 and F30, for example. Can use CIC from F30 in E90? If I would want to go NBT route, can I use NBT unit from any series or is there only one particular model which I would have to buy?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
You cannot use F series CIC in an E-Series CIC retrofit.
      11-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
damirj79
Rep
Drives: E91 325d

I thought so, thanks. What about the NBT units, is there any caution I need to take care before going that route except eNBT adapter?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
hooligan
Rep
Drives: E92

It is not possible to install CIC from F-series in E-series.
I also consider the NBT retrofit. I did many research, one company bimmer retrofiters from canada sell this product named eNBT Adapter, and they give me many information about what needed for NBT retrofit for my car using VIN. My opinion is that this upgrade kit is very new, and precise answers are very needed! Now I lookin who can do installatiions for me here in my town.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It is not possible to install CIC from F-series in E-series.
I also consider the NBT retrofit. I did many research, one company bimmer retrofiters from canada sell this product named eNBT Adapter, and they give me many information about what needed for NBT retrofit for my car using VIN. My opinion is that this upgrade kit is very new, and precise answers are very needed! Now I lookin who can do installatiions for me here in my town.
What's the difference between F-series CIC and NBT?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
PhreakShow
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
You cannot use F series CIC in an E-Series CIC retrofit.
Of course you can, it just depends on the effort you are willing to put in it. I did a retrofit of an F series NBT to a volvo.
However, without knowledge of CAN busses, a retrofit of F series hardware is quite difficult.

The NBT is the successor to the CIC, which includes a newer GUI, some new functions, usually bigger screens (but not necessary). The resolution is the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreakShow View Post
The NBT is the successor to the CIC, which includes a newer GUI, some new functions, usually bigger screens (but not necessary). The resolution is the same.
I'm a little confused. I have a 2010 E90 LCI w/ CIC (2nd gen i-drive).

The other day, I had a F-series loaner car: 2014 335i w/ navigation; is this the F-series CIC or the NBT?

I'm asking because I see the NBT retrofits into the E-series cars (using the eNBT adapter) but I see references being made to the F-series CIC, which I thought was the same as NBT.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreakShow View Post
Of course you can, it just depends on the effort you are willing to put in it. I did a retrofit of an F series NBT to a volvo.
However, without knowledge of CAN busses, a retrofit of F series hardware is quite difficult.

It requires more then just knowldge of CAN busses to retrofit an F series CIC into an E series car (which is a waste of money anyway since E-Series CIC headunits go for the same or less).

The problem, as is the same with NBT is the faceplate. You need some kind of converter to get the E9X faceplate to work on F series headunits. The faceplate is not canbus.

So yes, if you want to be an ass and insist its possible then you'd be right. But once you spend $500 on the converter that lets you use the faceplate then you would have to realize you just spent 500 more then you needed to to retrofit an F-Series CIC even though there is no different functionally then an E-Series CIC.

Of course you can technically put an NBT into a volvo. The same way you can run an NBT on a bench. You just need to tap power and CAN. But I'm sure the vehicle info and settings pages were useless.
      12-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I'm a little confused. I have a 2010 E90 LCI w/ CIC (2nd gen i-drive).

The other day, I had a F-series loaner car: 2014 335i w/ navigation; is this the F-series CIC or the NBT?

I'm asking because I see the NBT retrofits into the E-series cars (using the eNBT adapter) but I see references being made to the F-series CIC, which I thought was the same as NBT.
F-Series CIC is the same as E-Series CIC but the headunit itself connects a little different.

What you saw was NBT.
      12-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
F-Series CIC is the same as E-Series CIC but the headunit itself connects a little different.

What you saw was NBT.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Other than the connection differences, are there any benefits to the F-series CIC vs the E-series CIC? Just curious.

The NBT system in the 2014 loaner that I had was a marked improvement over my E-series CIC.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Thanks for clearing that up.

Other than the connection differences, are there any benefits to the F-series CIC vs the E-series CIC? Just curious.

The NBT system in the 2014 loaner that I had was a marked improvement over my E-series CIC.
Nope. Not a single difference.
      12-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

Quote:
Nope. Not a single difference.
Scott you know so much
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is not possible to install F-series CIC into E-series vehicles without a lot of background work. Theoretically, it can be possible, but it will be very far from plug-and-play, and will require a lot of effort, rewiring and ECU replacement. And to honest why would you do this? CIC in F-series and E-series is roughly the same; there may be some minor differences in vehicle settings which are related to the chassis differences in E and F-series.

In general, the multimedia functionality of E and F-series CIC are equally the same. Another difference is display size: CIC display in E-series is 8", but can be 10" in some models of F-series BMW.

It is possible to install NBT into E-series vehicles, because we have developed a special adapter, eNBT Retrofit Adapter, which converts all required protocols to for correct operation of NBT in E-series. Realistically, there is no reason to develop an adapter for installing F-series CIC into E-series, since there are no major differences between these systems and it is just not worth it. We never looked into this possibility, especially because CIC is now discontinued.

NBT, on the other hand, is top of the line and is worth the effort.
It's been quite a project, but it was totally worth it!

Hope this clarifies everyone's questions about CIC differences
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

If anyone is considering either a CIC retrofit or NBT retrofit, you may find the following thread useful: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9#post17048219

It provides a direct comparison of CIC and NBT retrofits in terms of functionality, effort and pricing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #15
jockyw2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e36, e39, e88

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
It requires more then just knowldge of CAN busses to retrofit an F series CIC into an E series car (which is a waste of money anyway since E-Series CIC headunits go for the same or less).

The problem, as is the same with NBT is the faceplate. You need some kind of converter to get the E9X faceplate to work on F series headunits. The faceplate is not canbus.

So yes, if you want to be an ass and insist its possible then you'd be right. But once you spend $500 on the converter that lets you use the faceplate then you would have to realize you just spent 500 more then you needed to to retrofit an F-Series CIC even though there is no different functionally then an E-Series CIC.

Of course you can technically put an NBT into a volvo. The same way you can run an NBT on a bench. You just need to tap power and CAN. But I'm sure the vehicle info and settings pages were useless.
Well I want to be an ass

The OEM CIC in my E88 does not have DAB+ tuners. I purchased a F-series CIC (not a NBT) which has 2 DAB+ tuner modules. I am looking for a solution to get this unit to work in my car. Apparently the v850 gateway controller will not talk to the JBE (central gateway) in my car, but instead only talks with a ZGM which is built in F-series cars. Do you know a way to flash the v850 bolu and app? or is there some kind emulator solution?
Flashing the sh4 application processor and activation are no problem.

Best,
JockyW
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #16
lintdrummer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

Hi all. Hope you are all well in these strange times we live in! I saw the title of this thread and thought my question would be answered but unfortunately not.
I have a 2006 E92 and my CCC has apparently succumbed to the dreaded overheating issue and is stuck in a boot loop.
I've decided to take the opportunity to install CIC as a cost effective upgrade.
I'm confused by a few things. First browsing local listings here it seems there are a number of different CIC units being sold as E9x units. Some are double DIN, some single. What are the differences?
Secondly, I have seen a complete F23 X5 iDrive CIC unit for sale at a very reasonable price. Would I be able to retrofit this in my E92?
I intend to DIY everything and code myself. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #17
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintdrummer View Post
Hi all. Hope you are all well in these strange times we live in! I saw the title of this thread and thought my question would be answered but unfortunately not.
I have a 2006 E92 and my CCC has apparently succumbed to the dreaded overheating issue and is stuck in a boot loop.
I've decided to take the opportunity to install CIC as a cost effective upgrade.
Quote:
I'm confused by a few things. First browsing local listings here it seems there are a number of different CIC units being sold as E9x units. Some are double DIN, some single. What are the differences?
Double din are the PRO units, the single din are not, these are a cut down version of the pro, so the map is different and there are some differences in the function, And the screen is smaller.

Dont bother with the single din.

Quote:
Secondly, I have seen a complete F23 X5 iDrive CIC unit for sale at a very reasonable price. Would I be able to retrofit this in my E92?
No, it's not worth the agro and wont work, just go for the unit from an e90,e91,e93 or e93.

Quote:
I intend to DIY everything and code myself. Thanks in advance!
Go for e series parts then, it makes it easier.

Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
lintdrummer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Double din are the PRO units, the single din are not, these are a cut down version of the pro, so the map is different and there are some differences in the function, And the screen is smaller.

Dont bother with the single din.

No, it's not worth the agro and wont work, just go for the unit from an e90,e91,e93 or e93.

Go for e series parts then, it makes it easier.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #19
lintdrummer
Registered
Rep

One more thing. I'll be in the US next month for work. E90 CIC units are more widely available and cheaper over there. Can a US CIC be coded to work in my Irish car?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #20
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, but not by coding.....

You would need to flash the cic with EU firmware (you need an icom too, dont try it with a d-can lead, that will brick it).

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #21
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintdrummer View Post
One more thing. I'll be in the US next month for work. E90 CIC units are more widely available and cheaper over there. Can a US CIC be coded to work in my Irish car?
lintdrummer Sure will. All US spec CIC components including headunit, Combox, controller, screen will work fine in for EU spec car.
Only difference between them is the last buttons 7/8 see https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=37
So a US spec headunit will be fine there is no extra steps coding wise that needs to be done. Just make sure you get the newest CIC headunit possible as it will have the C1A firmware already try getting a 2013+

I have a US spec CIC from a e84 X1 in my Australian (EU) spec e92
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 02:27 AM   #22
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

As long as you don't want to use the radio.....

US spec cars don't use the same radio frequencies as the UK/EU, so it skips half the frequencies when doing searches.

It's why the US have a different firmware than the UK/EU (it has the same deployment number, but is not the same).

Also Most US spec CIC have a pink satellite fakra on the back, flashing the firmware to UK/EU will disable this.

I'm not saying don't buy one, go for it, just make sure you know what you need to do to get it to work correctly, you will still need to vin code it and FSC to get the navigation working too. so its just 1 extra step to get it working.

Good luck

Appreciate 2