E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Take a look at log please. Finally got rid of boost leak

01-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #1
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Take a look at log please. Finally got rid of boost leak

2007 335i sedan, N54, 134.5k miles, MHD Stage 2+ FBO, 93oct

https://datazap.me/u/kazbek1/first-r...-9-10-11-13-18

So I think I finally fixed my boot leak. After I replaced my valve cover gasket the other day, I finally logged a run without getting a check engine light or 30FF code. So happy!

Hoever, I did have a misfire on Cyl 1 on the first startup after replacing the gasket. I replaced the coils and spark plugs about 2 weeks ago without issue but after removing the coils temporarily to replace the VCG the other day, I got the Cyl 1 misfire (confirmed on MHD). I let the car run a little bit, then took the coil out cleaned the connection, put it back in, and the rough idle seemed to gradually go away after restarting it a couple times. Then I logged the run.

Anyways, I wanted to see if you guys could check my log out and see if there's anything I should be concerened with. Is Cyl 1 still misfiring a little? Does it look like my boost leak is gone?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbek1 View Post

So I think I finally fixed my boot leak. After I replaced my valve cover gasket the other day, I finally logged a run without getting a check engine light or 30FF code. So happy!

Hoever, I did have a misfire on Cyl 1 on the first startup after replacing the gasket. I replaced the coils and spark plugs about 2 weeks ago without issue but after removing the coils temporarily to replace the VCG the other day, I got the Cyl 1 misfire (confirmed on MHD). I let the car run a little bit, then took the coil out cleaned the connection, put it back in, and the rough idle seemed to gradually go away after restarting it a couple times. Then I logged the run.

Anyways, I wanted to see if you guys could check my log out and see if there's anything I should be concerened with. Is Cyl 1 still misfiring a little? Does it look like my boost leak is gone?

Thanks in advance!
I am no log expert but your boost leak seems to be Gone. You reached boost target with low wgdc. Low pressure fuel pump looks fine too.
You do have some timing corrections on cylinder 1... not sure why.
Could be injector related or maybe in need of a walnut blast ?
      01-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I am no log expert but your boost leak seems to be Gone. You reached boost target with low wgdc. Low pressure fuel pump looks fine too.
You do have some timing corrections on cylinder 1... not sure why.
Could be injector related or maybe in need of a walnut blast ?
Thanks for the response! Glad it's confirmed that my boost leak is gone. When looking at the log, which WGDC value should I be looking at (WGDC after pid, bank 1, bank 2, etc?) and what's a good number to be at?

Cylinder 1 is definitely acting funky as I had mentioned before with the misfire. The injectors are a bit old (Index 8's) so maybe it's on it's way out. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of that but happy that the leak is at least gone and the LPFP is looking good.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response! Glad it's confirmed that my boost leak is gone. When looking at the log, which WGDC value should I be looking at (WGDC after pid, bank 1, bank 2, etc?) and what's a good number to be at?

Cylinder 1 is definitely acting funky as I had mentioned before with the misfire. The injectors are a bit old (Index 8's) so maybe it's on it's way out. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of that but happy that the leak is at least gone and the LPFP is looking good.
I was looking at the bank1/2 for WGDC. The lower the number the less your turbos are working to reach target. Small boost leaks wont throw a code but the WGDC will be higher to make up for the pressure being lost. Yours look good.

Does the car start a little rough if it has been sitting for a day or 2?
I would let to car sit for a day if you can. Then WITHOUT starting it, pull out that #1 spark plug. See if the tip looks wet with fuel. This would prove a leaky injector.

It would be good to have at least index 11 or 12. I know they cost a lot so its good to make sure that is the issue first. Only index 11 can be mixed with index 12.

When is the last time you had a walnut blast done? I doubt that's the issue but you never know. You seem only be getting those corrections once your at full boost.
      01-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Your WGDC is hitting 80+% up top, also your off boost target almost 2 psi, its likely you still have a boost leak

Ideally you want WGDC around 50-55%

Stage2+ can reach 60+ but 80+% means turbos working very hard, especially since your almost 2 psi off boost targets at top of the rev range.

Have you replaced all your vacuum lines?

Checked charge pipe connections, vacumn cannisters, Diverter valves/BOV?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at the bank1/2 for WGDC. The lower the number the less your turbos are working to reach target. Small boost leaks wont throw a code but the WGDC will be higher to make up for the pressure being lost. Yours look good.

Does the car start a little rough if it has been sitting for a day or 2?
I would let to car sit for a day if you can. Then WITHOUT starting it, pull out that #1 spark plug. See if the tip looks wet with fuel. This would prove a leaky injector.

It would be good to have at least index 11 or 12. I know they cost a lot so its good to make sure that is the issue first. Only index 11 can be mixed with index 12.

When is the last time you had a walnut blast done? I doubt that's the issue but you never know. You seem only be getting those corrections once your at full boost.
It usually doesn't start rough. The other day when that misfire happened was the only time I noticed it starting rough.

Yea, I'm trying to hold off on getting new injectors but I'll give it a day or 2 wiithout starting the car and check the spark plug.

I walnut blasted the car about 2k miles ago so it's been pretty recent.I'll keep ya updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Your WGDC is hitting 80+% up top, also your off boost target almost 2 psi, its likely you still have a boost leak

Stage2+ can reach 60+ but 80+% means turbos working very hard, especially since your almost 2 psi off boost targets at top of the rev range.

Damn, alright. Since I'm not seeing a 30FF code and the check engine light hasn't been popping up, I thought it was gone. Maybe it's reduced a little so it's not popping up?

I changed all of my vacuum lines, replaced the boost solenoids, checked and rechecked the intercooler piping and charge pipe/BOV and they all seem to be good. I guess I'll try to perform a smoke test one of these days to try and narrow it down.

Theoretically, if I completely fix the boost leak, the WGDC should decrease to 60ish% with Stage 2+? Should my boost leak also match target once that gets fixed? 2 psi doesn't seem to bad to me!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Damn, alright. Since I'm not seeing a 30FF code and the check engine light hasn't been popping up, I thought it was gone. Maybe it's reduced a little so it's not popping up?

I changed all of my vacuum lines, replaced the boost solenoids, checked and rechecked the intercooler piping and charge pipe/BOV and they all seem to be good. I guess I'll try to perform a smoke test one of these days to try and narrow it down.

Theoretically, if I completely fix the boost leak, the WGDC should decrease to 60ish% with Stage 2+? Should my boost leak also match target once that gets fixed? 2 psi doesn't seem to bad to me!
Just to be clear, 1-2 psi isn't the end of the world,

It will likely not trigger a 30FF code, but it does look like some sort of small boost leak issue is still present top of the rev range.

Yes to your questions, WGDC should reduce significantly as turbos will find it easier to hit boost targets, you won't necessarily be completely on target, but likely within 1 psi or close to it.

The thing you want to focus on is reducing WGDC,

Attached is a guide for MHD Datalog analysis.

You could also try running v7.1 stage 2+ and log to see if it makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Interpreting MHD Datalogs.pdf (198.5 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to be clear, 1-2 psi isn't the end of the world,

It will likely not trigger a 30FF code, but it does look like some sort of small boost leak issue is still present top of the rev range.

Yes to your questions, WGDC should reduce significantly as turbos will find it easier to hit boost targets, you won't necessarily be completely on target, but likely within 1 psi or close to it.

The thing you want to focus on is reducing WGDC,

Attached is a guide for MHD Datalog analysis.

You could also try running v7.1 stage 2+ and log to see if it makes a difference.
Ok cool. With previous logs, I was like 6 psi off so it's an improvement.

Good call on the v7.1. I thought I switched from v9 to v7 but I guess not. I'll try that out. Is there any reason why a different version would reduce WGDC or a boost leak? Sorry for all the questions; still trying to learn about data logging but I appreciate the datalog analyisis! That should come in handy!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Wow nice catch. Mad I missed that. Viewing logs on cell phone doesn't work that great!
      01-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Do you have factory style intercooler connections? Those black and green O rings do need replacing from time to time. I was also getting a leak from the Stupid sensor on the charge pipe, the little o ring was pinched.
      01-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok cool. With previous logs, I was like 6 psi off so it's an improvement.

Good call on the v7.1. I thought I switched from v9 to v7 but I guess not. I'll try that out. Is there any reason why a different version would reduce WGDC or a boost leak? Sorry for all the questions; still trying to learn about data logging but I appreciate the datalog analyisis! That should come in handy!
V7.1 map has lower boost targets and timing, WGDC should be lower as a result.

No worries
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow nice catch. Mad I missed that. Viewing logs on cell phone doesn't work that great!
I agree, viewing Datalogs on phone is pain in the butt, lol.

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-18-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have factory style intercooler connections? Those black and green O rings do need replacing from time to time. I was also getting a leak from the Stupid sensor on the charge pipe, the little o ring was pinched.
I just installed the intercooler about 4 months ago but it wouldn't hurt to check the black and green o rings as well as the tmap sensor on the charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #15
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
V7.1 map has lower boost targets and timing, WGDC should be lower as a result.

No worries
Nice, I'll try that out. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0