E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Another BLuetooth, Phone craddle, USB install

08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
if your car does not come with 6FL from factory, chances is there is no USB hub installed. you'll need to get the hub as well cos the OEM harness uses the hub as the connection point between the USB/Aux in plug and the MULF. of cos, you can bypass this if you decide to do some wire splicing and joining.

take a look at page 19 of the PDF for how the wires are actually joined between the devices.
I doubt you need the USB Hub. All the hub does is split the USB signal, if all I want to run is one USB connection point then there is no need for the hub. I shouldn't have to splice any wires either. The hub plays no other role, just a splitter. The connection cable that was posted above can connect the USB part of the USB/AUX socket directly to the MULF, bypassing the hub all together
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
A5 and A6 are power for the USB hub. if you look at the connection diagram and table, you'll see A2 has the same signals as A5 and A6. So this means that A5 and A6 are drawing power from the MULF to supply power to USB hub which is connected by A2.

the power supply for the MULF should be P6 and P7

P6 and P7 are only for cars that DO NOT have the SA640 pre-wire option, they are also the same wires as A5 and A6 coming from a different location.

I'll look for those two wire colors on my white TCU plug and test them for power and ground. If I have them then good, if not I can pull power and ground from somewhere else.

When my parts arrive I will do a large write up with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
I doubt you need the USB Hub. All the hub does is split the USB signal, if all I want to run is one USB connection point then there is no need for the hub. I shouldn't have to splice any wires either. The hub plays no other role, just a splitter. The connection cable that was posted above can connect the USB part of the USB/AUX socket directly to the MULF, bypassing the hub all together
yes. if the plug on the harness for USB fits into the socket for USB/Aux in, then there's no need for the hub at all. if the harness is not long enough or the plug don't fit the socket, then you'll need wire splicing.

I do not have the uninstalled hardware for me to check so you are in a better position to guage what you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
P6 and P7 are only for cars that DO NOT have the SA640 pre-wire option, they are also the same wires as A5 and A6 coming from a different location.

I'll look for those two wire colors on my white TCU plug and test them for power and ground. If I have them then good, if not I can pull power and ground from somewhere else.

When my parts arrive I will do a large write up with pictures.
my bad. P6 and P7 are wrong.

looking at WDS wiring for the MULF, power and ground should be on pins 36 and 17 of the MULF connector.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
yes. if the plug on the harness for USB fits into the socket for USB/Aux in, then there's no need for the hub at all. if the harness is not long enough or the plug don't fit the socket, then you'll need wire splicing.

I do not have the uninstalled hardware for me to check so you are in a better position to guage what you need to do.
You can buy various factory cables for the USB connection, two of them are listed in the original post in this thread. I chose the black one so I knew I had enough length, its longer. Apparently all you have to do is shave off a tab to make USB/AUX socket connection fit with the MULF USB connection.

I ordered all the parts today, so when they arrive I will install them ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Yup I can confirm pins 36 and 17 as being the power to the MULF. If you guys read the OP's post, you'll see we didn't bother with the USB hub. Its a straight connect from the USB/AUX socket to the MULF and the MULF was connected to the bluetooth antennae and microphone. I really didn't mess with the bluetooth wiring, I just confirmed that they were all there. Again, this is because my car has SA 640, so I am hoping that the car was correctly wired for bluetooth from the factory. The only wiring I did was the FAKRA cable from the MULF to the USB/AUX socket and pins 4,5, 22,23 from the MULF to the USB/AUX socket.
      09-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Yup I can confirm pins 36 and 17 as being the power to the MULF. If you guys read the OP's post, you'll see we didn't bother with the USB hub. Its a straight connect from the USB/AUX socket to the MULF and the MULF was connected to the bluetooth antennae and microphone. I really didn't mess with the bluetooth wiring, I just confirmed that they were all there. Again, this is because my car has SA 640, so I am hoping that the car was correctly wired for bluetooth from the factory. The only wiring I did was the FAKRA cable from the MULF to the USB/AUX socket and pins 4,5, 22,23 from the MULF to the USB/AUX socket.
We are on the same page then. My car has the SA640 option and I am doing exactly what you are. Just waiting on parts to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #30
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

FYI, regarding the hub usage. There's the availability of 2 USB ports, one in the glove compartment and the other in the center armrest. The hub becomes the router switch for these two ports. We are not installing the second USB port, so there's no need for the: hub,cable attachments, or power.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 09-02-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
farms5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hi guys, I have '07 with bluetooth, navi and I drive. I have the aux input but not the usb. I would like to add this to the center armrest and not sure what I need.
can anyone give me a list/eplaination of the parts need for the retro.
appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farms5 View Post
Hi guys, I have '07 with bluetooth, navi and I drive. I have the aux input but not the usb. I would like to add this to the center armrest and not sure what I need.
can anyone give me a list/explaination of the parts need for the retro.
appreciate the help.
Since you have the S609A navigation system and possibly BMW's SOS Assist (TCU), you might want follow forum member's Lazd method:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=bluetooth+tcu

If you don't want to purchase the SOS Assist feature from BMW, then you'll need to change to the MULF2 High SVS or MULF2 High. The SVS indicates the Voice Control feature. Then Vehicle Order(VO) is added during coding. If not, then use and order the MULF2 High model.

In any of the module change (TCU, MULF2 High SVS or MULF2 High), your final step is coding. for this, you'll need to find yourself the nearest "coder" in your area. Dealership's and service agent's do not like to perform this task due to time and cost. Let us know to your direction.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 09-02-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

FYI Guys,
Forum member Jre90330 is selling RARE retrofit kit part # 84 64 0 398 229. If your car is: pre-wired and you do not have Bluetooth, looking retrofit your car to have bluetooth, all the key parts are in this kit. If not pre-wired, you'll need a different kit

Link for sale:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739294

Here's the install manual PDF link
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1124553149

Double or triple check if this system works for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #34
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Just an update to those following this thread. My bluetooth is now working and the USB is semi working. Semi-working = I can plug in an ipod and it will charge the ipod/iphone, but there is no option in the Radio for USB/iPod. Not sure what I'm missing, we added $644, $6fl to the VO. I may have to flash the radio itself, as mine is really old, I think its an early 07 build date. But I can make phone calls via the bluetooth now.

Happy that we have progress.

BTW, if anybody follows the diagram in the bluetooth retrofit pdf, but very careful with the MOST distribution block part. I ended up tearing my trunk apart only to find out that the original configuration is on my car is correct. So before you do that part, do yourself a favor and grab a flash light and shine it into the corresponding wire to the MULF. I ended up swapping as per the instructions and nothing worked. Then I found out that the original config was correct.
      09-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #35
heartpumper77
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru STI/335i coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Since you have the S609A navigation system and possibly BMW's SOS Assist (TCU), you might want follow forum member's Lazd method:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=bluetooth+tcu

If you don't want to purchase the SOS Assist feature from BMW, then you'll need to change to the MULF2 High SVS or MULF2 High. The SVS indicates the Voice Control feature. Then Vehicle Order(VO) is added during coding. If not, then use and order the MULF2 High model.

In any of the module change (TCU, MULF2 High SVS or MULF2 High), your final step is coding. for this, you'll need to find yourself the nearest "coder" in your area. Dealership's and service agent's do not like to perform this task due to time and cost. Let us know to your direction.
I also have 07 I drive with BT and SOS assist ( dont have subscription) and aux port in the armrest but no USB. I am wondering what parts we need to add the USB connector to the armrest? Obviously my car is already wired and in working order for the options except USB.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartpumper77 View Post
I also have 07 I drive with BT and SOS assist ( dont have subscription) and aux port in the armrest but no USB. I am wondering what parts we need to add the USB connector to the armrest? Obviously my car is already wired and in working order for the options except USB.

Thanks for the help
Like I said before, you still would need to change (swap) the electronic unit (TCU, MULF2 high, or MULF2 High SVS) and add cable/s because there an additional FAKRA molex port which connects to the USB/AUX unit located in the center armrest and/or possible USB port located in the glove compartment (then you'll would need the USB hub unit and associated harness).

If I recall correctly, USB capabilities came during the 2008 model year. So any vehicle made before 2008 will need to update all components, systems, and add coding.

So for your usage, I would continue with the TCU route. Your part list includes: new TCU, cables, possible 54 pin plug (white), USB/AUX port unit, and coding. I would converse with Lazd because he's more familiar which TCU kit and process would be best for you rather than me. Or can anyone else chime in?

For example, pictured below are the MULF with and without USB capabilities.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thumperx; 09-03-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
heartpumper77
Private
Rep

Quote:
Like I said before, you still would need to change (swap) the electronic unit (TCU, MULF2 high, or MULF2 High SVS) and add cable/s because there an additional FAKRA molex port which connects to the USB/AUX unit located in the center armrest and/or possible USB port located in the glove compartment (then you'll would need the USB hub unit and associated harness).

If I recall correctly, USB capabilities came during the 2008 model year. So any vehicle made before 2008 will need to update all components, systems, and add coding.

So for your usage, I would continue with the TCU route. Your part list includes: new TCU, cables, possible 54 pin plug (BLUE), USB/AUX port unit, and coding. I would converse with Lazd because he's more familiar which TCU kit and process would be best for you rather than me. Or can anyone else chime in?

For example, pictured below are the MULF with and without USB capabilities.
Great thanks for the info, I will look at my trunk and see which Mulf2 I have..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great thanks for the info, I will look at my trunk and see which Mulf2 I have..
Yours should look like the picture since you have the SOS Assist feature . This is the TCU unit. (pix is from hasselboxster)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
heartpumper77
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yours should look like the picture since you have the SOS Assist feature . This is the TCU unit. (pix is from hasselboxster)
Thanks..hopefully I have the mulf hi, which would make it much easier. It looks like I would only need 2 cables and the console port..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So for your usage, I would continue with the TCU route.
from what i understand, TCU is only for BMW assist. for USB/aux in functions, one would need a MULF.

TCU and MULF can coexist in the same car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks..hopefully I have the mulf hi, which would make it much easier. It looks like I would only need 2 cables and the console port..
you won't have the MULF
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #42
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
from what i understand, TCU is only for BMW assist. for USB/aux in functions, one would need a MULF.

TCU and MULF can coexist in the same car.
So many modules. Yes this is correct, so you'll need the MULF2 High or MULF2 High SVS electronic unit. Thanks Snooze

Last edited by Thumperx; 09-03-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Just an update to those following this thread. My bluetooth is now working and the USB is semi working. Semi-working = I can plug in an ipod and it will charge the ipod/iphone, but there is no option in the Radio for USB/iPod. Not sure what I'm missing, we added $644, $6fl to the VO. I may have to flash the radio itself, as mine is really old, I think its an early 07 build date. But I can make phone calls via the bluetooth now.

Happy that we have progress.

BTW, if anybody follows the diagram in the bluetooth retrofit pdf, but very careful with the MOST distribution block part. I ended up tearing my trunk apart only to find out that the original configuration is on my car is correct. So before you do that part, do yourself a favor and grab a flash light and shine it into the corresponding wire to the MULF. I ended up swapping as per the instructions and nothing worked. Then I found out that the original config was correct.
Let us know as soon as you get the USB/iPod issue worked out. All my parts are on order and will be here in a week or so. It would be awesome to simply hook it all up and it work the first time.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #44
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let us know as soon as you get the USB/iPod issue worked out. All my parts are on order and will be here in a week or so. It would be awesome to simply hook it all up and it work the first time.
Yeah will do. I think the missing key for me now is that I need to get the Radio updated, the firmware on there is from Jan 2007 (5+ year old firmware). As far as I can tell the MULF is working fine because when I connect my iPhone to the usb socket, it charges. My problem now is, the guy who is doing the programming for me is on his way to NYC for a while, so I'll have to work around his schedule.

I'm not sure what options your car came prewired for, but seriously, do yourself a favor and map out your MOST bus distribution block, and make sure its the MULF thats connected. That was pretty much the major stumbling block for me. If the MULF isn't connected to the MOST bus, the car will not see it.