E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2007 335D Chasing fuel pump not running

01-16-2024, 06:48 PM   #1
MR OHNOZ
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport 2007, 335d 2011

2007 335D Chasing fuel pump not running

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to revive a non-running gift 335d (2011 194K miles). I've repaired a bunch of mechanical issues (small turbo, timing chain, deletes). After getting it back together, I started on trying to start it. Its still a non-starter.

Issues found and fixed.

It had a missing battey cable, the smaller diameter one that connects the battery distribution box to one of two terminal in the battery compartment that powers the DDE. So, DDE wasn't powering up. Installed the cable, and DDE powered up.

The shifter cable wasn't attached to the transmission shifter lever. So, no matter what the shifter showed on the shifter console, the dash display always showed neutral. Popped the shifter cable ball clip on the transmission's shifter lever ball, and the dash indicator and shifter console positions match up.

Current issue is the electric fuel pump. It isn't getting power and isn't running.

Earlier, before I figured out the DDE wasn't powering up due the missing connection with the battery; the fuel pump would power up and run continuously whenever the car was turned on. Diesel was flowing out of the leak off harness (had to repair the harness). So figured it was priming the injectors.

Now, after get the DDE to power up. The fuel pump won't run. Cracked open the retainer nut on the #1 injector, nothing. No diesel is pumping into the injector when the cars is on, or cranking.

Tested the two connectors (red/white power, brown ground) that supply power to the fuel pump. I found no power when the car was turned on, cranked.

Checked the fuses in fuse box and computer box (again), they were good and matched fuse/amp/position card that came with the car.

Per ISTA powered up the fuel pump from fused independent power source. The fuel pump ran.

What has me baffled is that the pump was running and now it is not.

My next steps will be to:
1) disconnect the power to the DDE to see if the fuel pump starts running,
2) check the brown ground wire that grounds the fuel pumps power circuit, 3) dig around in ISTA D to see if there is something that needs to be set/reset.

At this point, if anybody has had a problem like this, I'd greatly appreciated any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MR OHNOZ; 01-16-2024 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Added needed info
Appreciate 0