E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

09-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #287
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

correct, they should replace the antenna first and then if that does not fix the issue they need to replace the unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #288
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (E92)

ok some update for anyone that is interested on my GPS issue

Car Vision that I purchased the unit have been very supportive and their response is always great. The feedback from Dynavin is that there are 11 GPS issues cases reported out of the 3k sold and it seems that they recognise the issue and will be sending out some GPS antennas from other vendors to try out.

Hopefully, next wknd we will know if this is a GPS antenna issue or we will need to replace the HU also. I asked for a standby HU if the antenna swap does not fix the issue

will keep you updated after the issue is resolved
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #289
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasman View Post
1. No glitches with Radio presets AS LONG AS the unit is correctly wired in a fuse slot that does not sleep, or directly to the battery
2. I believe the steering wheel controls do not manage the Phone Applications but will try later for you and let you know
3. The car did not have a Bluetooth connection so I am using the mic from Dynavin and is placed in the same location as Jeff proposed, from the little use so far no issues
4. So far no major issues

The issues that I have noticed with my unit are:
1. There is no Rewind button when watching movies or video clips, only Next/Previous and FF
2. There is no “More” option as shown in the manual when watching movies (or video clips) and hence no option to enable subtitles even though there is an associated .srt file with the clip
3. Not all movies/clips are playing (unsupported video comes up or skips to the next) even though a file of the same format (mkv, avi etc.) can play. This was resolved by transcoding everything to mp4 and now everything works
4. Even though the USB media and SD card are always present in the unit, when I try to open the Artists or Albums view the unit always take time to read the card like trying to read it from scratch. This seems to take place every time the device is activated after the car has been parked/stopped for some time. But it does remember the last video and song that was playing and this comes up straight away as soon as I enter the key in slot. Very fast and impressive
5. I now have issues with my Navigation. Also clock timestamp as the unit cannot pick up satellites. I “think” this appeared after upgrading the iGO Primo maps but even now that I restored the Navi SD to the previous version I still have no Satellites picked up. THAT’S SOMETHING I NEED TO SORT OUT ASAP

So for anyone else out there could it be that the GPS antenna is faulty or not connecting to the unit? Would I receive that message looking for satellites or should I expect a different message like GPS antenna not connected?
Update on the test I promised, the Up/Down steering wheel controls will also control the content of the iPhone Apps like Spotify and Tune In. I used A2DP but I assume this is the same case with iPod. So that's great, was not expecting it if I am honest
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:50 AM   #290
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
ok some update for anyone that is interested on my GPS issue

Car Vision that I purchased the unit have been very supportive and their response is always great. The feedback from Dynavin is that there are 11 GPS issues cases reported out of the 3k sold and it seems that they recognise the issue and will be sending out some GPS antennas from other vendors to try out.

Hopefully, next wknd we will know if this is a GPS antenna issue or we will need to replace the HU also. I asked for a standby HU if the antenna swap does not fix the issue

will keep you updated after the issue is resolved
Well, good luck on the antenna swap - as I stated, in my case Jeff sent out a new GPS antenna of the same kind as originally supplied - it did not solve the problem.

Yet after the new HU swap - all was good with both the new antenna AND the old antenna (I tried the old antenna just for S&G) - so the antenna was NOT the problem..
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #291
burnerg81
Rep
Drives: 320i Exclusive Edition

Quote:
Update on the test I promised, the Up/Down steering wheel controls will also control the content of the iPhone Apps like Spotify and Tune In. I used A2DP but I assume this is the same case with iPod. So that's great, was not expecting it if I am honest
thanks vasman. that's good to know. I'll see how you now get on with your current gps issue and decide whether to go ahead with the install.

I'm waiting on John confirming if my DAB module and antenna can be used in the dynavin, rather than purchasing the official dynavin versions of both.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #292
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Well, good luck on the antenna swap - as I stated, in my case Jeff sent out a new GPS antenna of the same kind as originally supplied - it did not solve the problem.

Yet after the new HU swap - all was good with both the new antenna AND the old antenna (I tried the old antenna just for S&G) - so the antenna was NOT the problem..
Thanks mate, and this is what worries me, that I also do not feel positive that it is 100% the antenna, so learned from your experience and I asked for a standby HU when we go to change the antenna. I do not want to spend more time troubleshooting the unit or taking it in/out
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #293
bacardi198
Yolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EBII

Finally got my N6 and MOST adapter ordered...hopefully I'm home from Afghanistan next month to enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #294
fvermeulen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Hi, i hope someone can help me. i bought the dynavin n6 for my 2006 BMW E90 330d. installation was quick. the problem is i don't hear anything when using the PDC and the voltage and oil temp under OBC is wrong and doesnt update. the steering wheels controlls work, speakers work, GPS works, water temp and outside temp works. fuel stats work... only thing that doesnt work is no sound when using PDC, voltage shows 60Volt which is wrong and oil temp shows like 280 degrees C. i have unplugged and replugged everything and dynavin can't help me. any tips what i can try? is there a possibility that my modules in my car needs updateting? . very happy with the radio thus far, just needs the last 3 things fixed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #295
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvermeulen View Post
Hi, i hope someone can help me. i bought the dynavin n6 for my 2006 BMW E90 330d. installation was quick. the problem is i don't hear anything when using the PDC and the voltage and oil temp under OBC is wrong and doesnt update. the steering wheels controlls work, speakers work, GPS works, water temp and outside temp works. fuel stats work... only thing that doesnt work is no sound when using PDC, voltage shows 60Volt which is wrong and oil temp shows like 280 degrees C. i have unplugged and replugged everything and dynavin can't help me. any tips what i can try? is there a possibility that my modules in my car needs updateting? . very happy with the radio thus far, just needs the last 3 things fixed
I answered your PDC question in the other thread you also just posted in...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #296
fvermeulen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I answered your PDC question in the other thread you also just posted in...
thank you, but it didnt work. either my car modules are outdated or theres something wrong with my dynavin n6. is the canbus box i got with just for the steering wheel controls?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #297
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
no, not just wheel controls, but also PDC, warning gong, the OBC data - anything that uses data pulled from CanBus

have your installer or seller try swapping in a new CanBus box and see if that solves the problems - it translates the CanBus data into useful info for the N6
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #298
jeffb335
Rep

fvermeulen, you have the wrong canbus box OR its got the wrong programming on it OR its damaged in some way..... contact your dealer to swap it out for you.

In the future just post your question in one thread....posting it multiple places can be confusing to future readers of these threads.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #299
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dynavin flac bug

I know Dynavin does not say anywhere it supports flac files so I was not expecting to play it but was not also expecting the device to crash the whole USB functionality that could not even be restored after a factory reset. What I did was only to point in the folder the flac file was stored and I wanted to try and play. The screen as you can see from the video below cannot move to a different screen (other folder, or root folder or Photos, Videos, Music) whatever you do, move to SD and back to USB, unplug/plug USB or restore the whole unit does not fix it. The only way I managed to restore the USB functionality was by unplugging the USB and deleting in my PC the whole folder that the unit was trying continuously to play.

After a week's play I have to say although the unit is very powerful and stunning, in terms of the music functionality part it misses some nice to have functions especially taking into account there is no CD meaning all of your music is SD/USB stored and accessed, so focus should be on that. Some examples below:

1. The genre categorization is missing
2. When you have 90GB of music in one (well two better say USB+SD) location is very difficult to remember where you have everything stored in order to find what you want to hear. A search functionality is missing as the current keyboard only looks for the first letter
3. Every time you switch from SD to USB and vice verca it starts to read the whole media that takes too long if you have loads of files. What is weird is that even though the unit remembers the last song played before switching USB/SD media or powering off the unit/car (or most amazingly of all before/after HW reset) it does not cache anything so everytime it indexes everything from scratch and takes 20seconds
4. There is no option to add songs (i.e. create a playlist)

I am not sure if I am asking too much, I feel is nothing more than what iPod already offers. Maybe this is the 1st SW version and they will fix all the above in coming releases.

UPDATE: It seems that Dynavin can play flac files (that was a good surprise) but not all, the specific flac Album/songs causes the unit to crash the USB functionality, but other flac files play ok

Last edited by vasman; 09-26-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #300
jeffb335
Rep

I have a lot of customers using FLAC files with the N6...many people exclusively using FLAC (its discussed extensively over on the E39 forum on bimmerforums)...so I dont know what is going on with that file you have but obviously something is not compatible if it locked up your unit like that but once deleted everything went back to normal. Now we DO know that at this time the dynavin does not read the tagged info from a FLAC file, it just displays the file name, thats being worked on, but thats not what you are seeing.

Ive seen A LOT of these as you can imagine....and Ive not seen one do that but I have seen random files on the SD cause all kinds of issues. Keep in mind programs like itunes stick "digital booklets" music videos and all kinds of other junk in the file directory, so if anything odd is in there it could be causing issues....not to mention SD card formats, file formats, etc.... lots of variables here...

The USB and SD interfaces are identical.....not sure what you are talking about.....did you press the down button to see the folder directory or am I not understanding what you are talking about?

The "search" is not a search in the google sense....its not meant to be, its a "quick jump" to the letter you are looking for so you dont have to scroll when dealing with larger libraries.

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-26-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #301
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Jeff, I checked few more flac files and looked inside all folders to clean them up. You were right, N6 can play flac files but as you say not all. Even though the folder is clean some flac files cause the USB function to crash, not sure what is the difference with the ones that work

I also updated my initial post so as not to confuse people or cause any misunderstanding

Thanks

Last edited by vasman; 09-26-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #302
Tomy_D1
Rep
Drives: E90

Exclamation OBC malfunction

Hi,

I also have same problem as fvermeulen. Just that my PDC are working.

Jeff can you please check with Dynavin what could be the problem?

Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #303
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy_D1 View Post
Hi,

I also have same problem as fvermeulen. Just that my PDC are working.

Jeff can you please check with Dynavin what could be the problem?

Thank you
Did Jeff sell you your N6? AFAIK, He is only a dealer in the U.S. & does not sell outside U.S.

You need to contact the dealer you purchased your N6 from in your country to handle your problems.

Jeff is busy enough with his own customers...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #304
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
So its my turn for problems, so my backup camera was working fine before i rewired the wires through the holes and such, after i did all that it stopped working. There was no lines on my screen so no need for a relay. Anyway can someone explain how to wire it to make im not doing something wrong. The red cable connects to the number 4 of the backup cameras and other lights connectors. Pic:

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #305
Tomy_D1
Rep
Drives: E90

Well... I'm sorry for asking.

But if it is a known problem... then I THINK that the fix should be also, regardless who sell the unit.

Last edited by Tomy_D1; 09-28-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #306
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

But if it is a known problem... then I THINK that the fix should be also, regardless who sell the unit.
Well, I was merely saying that Dynavin needs to hear about problems from it's individual dealers in each country, and going thru your local dealer is the only way of getting your problem solved - that's the way warranty repairs are handled...

> Jeff is solely U.S. dealer/installer & cannot handle warranty hardware repairs/returns for other countries. AFAIK, he is not even permitted to sell N6 in other countries.

> Yes, he can give you advice on what he thinks the problem may be thru this forum, but in the end, you have to contact your local dealer to have them diagnose the problem, return the defective part, & give you warranty replacement.

> So whatever the problem may be, having Jeff advise Dynavin of reported problems in other countries is not going to get your problem solved, as he cannot properly diagnose the problem overseas, nor would he be able to take care of your hardware warranty replacement...

> Your dealer will then get credit for the returned parts - Jeff would not - and it certainly would make no sense to have you ship parts to U.S. that you think are failed, then have Jeff send you new parts from U.S. that he would not get credit for thru Dynavin.

As far as to whether this is a 'known' problem - Direct quote from Jeff to the one (1) other person that reported a similar problem:

Quote:
fvermeulen, you have the wrong canbus box OR its got the wrong programming on it OR its damaged in some way..... contact your dealer to swap it out for you
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #307
mikey G
Sloppy Seconds
United_States
Rep
Drives: E28/ Tiguan

This thread has been very helpful and I believe i'm now going to purchase the N6. I do have a few questions reguarding installation and integration of current features.

1) For someone with very limited knowledge on any sort of headunit installation/ wiring is this a job that can be accomplished relatively easy? The general consensus seems to be that it is rather easy, however, time consuming.

2) I also purchased a 10" sub w/ amp. Does the N6 require anything more then me running the ground/ power for the amp and then the sub to the Headunit?

3)Is the N6 100% plug and play? I have the Logic 7 so I understand I will need to purchase the MOST module as well.

4) From my understanding I will regain steering wheel button functionality, however, will I keep the functionality of the OEM Auxiliary port inside my arm rest?

Again i'm sure this is covered somewhere but it's possible I missed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #308
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:

its not a "known problem", my advice is the same as the other guy, there is probably something wrong with the canbus box, contact your dealer for assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamPT View Post
So its my turn for problems, so my backup camera was working fine before i rewired the wires through the holes and such, after i did all that it stopped working. There was no lines on my screen so no need for a relay. Anyway can someone explain how to wire it to make im not doing something wrong. The red cable connects to the number 4 of the backup cameras and other lights connectors. Pic:
Anytime something is working, you take it apart and put it back together, and then its not working......time to go back and check your work, something got screwed up somewhere....

the camera is powered by the reverse light, the E9X reverse trigger is done via the canbus box (so you dont have to do anything there) and there is a video cable between the camera and the dynavin. The dynavin has a reverse setting in the system settings menu that needs to be set depending on your setup. Thats it.

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-28-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0