E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Advice on audio wiring... too many posts - too confusing

08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
MrRee
Rep
Drives: 325 e91

Advice on audio wiring... too many posts - too confusing

Hi All,

After a stint away from the marque since I sold my old 328i E36 Coupe 4 years ago I've always missed it. So this time when car renewal time came around I purchased a very low mileage 2006 325i E91 (for compatibility with the small child that forced the sale of the previous 328i coupe) and I'm again enjoying BMW ownership.

My question relates to installation of a parrot bluetooth car kit. I already have a CK3300 kit which I've had fitted in a number of cars below (the 3300 is identical to the 3100 except it has an additional GPS antenna which I no longer need and can easily be removed).

I've read so many posts on numerous forums talking about numerous configurations of equipment on E9X and most relating to retrofitting the original bluetooth (which I'm not interested in - quite happy with my parrot thanks) and I'm finding it very difficult to find a straight answer due to not being able to see the wood for the trees.

So the question I want to know the answer to is, where is the best location to intercept the speaker wiring to make a suitable connection loom for the parrot? This would be a straightforward question if I had a regular stereo head in the car but my model is auto (don't know if that makes any different) fitted with iDrive with a CCC(?) and doesn't have an amplifier in the boot (not that I can find anyway - though I found a slot that looks like it might be for one).

So before I start trying to pull the dashboard to pieces to try and locate somewhere to splice into the wiring can anyone point me in the right direction and save me a lot of potential aggro? If I were to just dive in I would probably start by trying to remove the CCC to see if is effectively also a head unit without display and buttons...

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Do you have tweeters in the plastic covers on the back of the wing mirrors? (If you have them the plastic cover will be perforated, if you don't then it will be solid plastic).
No tweeters means no amplifier

Assuming you don't have an amp as you believe probably your easiest option is to send a PM to user Technic on this forum. You want the harness he's talking about In This Thread.

This will allow you to intercept the speaker signals without chopping into the stock wiring.
You will probably need to alter the Parrot wiring to hook it up to the connections on the harness

PS you are correct, the CCC unit is the headunit. Technic's harness will plug between it and the car loom the same as the iso speaker adapters you're probably familiar with
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
MrRee
Rep
Drives: 325 e91

Thanks two-oh-five, I don't have tweeters in the interior mirror covers - your post was very helpful as I've now successfully extracted the CCC and determined exactly what I need to do.
Appreciate 0