E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Broke one of my shocks on the way home yesterday

07-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Broke one of my shocks on the way home yesterday

I was on my way home yesterday and it made a clunking sound each time I hit a manhole cover, pot hole, ect.

On the highway it felt like I was driving in an old hooptie.

The next day there was a puddle underneath so I think I broke one of the shocks.

View post on imgur.com

I've spent all day trying to get my head around what I need to do.

My understanding is that there are shocks in the rear and struts in the front.

The videos I've seen of the shocks seem pretty straight forward but the struts seem a little daunting. I might have a shop do the fronts.

I have the 2009 328 X drive.

I think this kit has everything I need:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ing-19135021kt

My main question is, do you think this can be done on jackstands ? The videos i've watched they always use a lift but it seems like I can do it jackstands.

Any tips? The best one i've seen so far is to have ratcheting box wrenches.

Also, how often should the shocks be changed? I read somewhere 70k but I never saw that before. The car has 99k but it is 10 years old. I've never replaced shocks or struts on any other cars i've owned so I was wondering if they are wear items or just maintenance items.

Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilarskica View Post
I was on my way home yesterday and it made a clunking sound each time I hit a manhole cover, pot hole, ect.

On the highway it felt like I was driving in an old hooptie.

The next day there was a puddle underneath so I think I broke one of the shocks.

Rattling and banging noise you hear is due to the top shock mount failure. The shock is pushed through the opening and it's hitting the hole.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  124.7 KB

The oil is another indicator that the shock is blown.

You must have bottomed out your rear end.

Job can be done on jack stands. Did mine without any issues.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 07-18-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Volasko696.00
      07-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Pilarskica
Private
Rep

All,

I got the trunk trim out. The shock didn't come through, but it will make the noise when I wiggle it from the top.

The question I have is when I put the new shocks on I saw one video that said to raise the suspension to ride height and another said:

Assemble new or old shock bump stops and protective cover onto new shock in order shown. Install shock in vehicle, install lower portion of shock first with fasteners finger tight. Then jack on swing arm to raise shock back into trunk. Then install washer with nut and tighten. Then tighten lower shock fastener. Reinstall trunk trim carpet and test drive vehicle.

My question is how far up do I jack the control arm before I tighten it down? Until the shock clears the bottom of the wheel well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Those are both saying to bring it to ride height. You can either measure from wheel hub to fender while the car is on the ground or you can jack the control arm up slowly until the car starts to lift off the jack stand ever so slightly. You could also get everything pretty tight and then put the car back on the ground for final tightening. I don't think it has to be exact here.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Pilarskica
Private
Rep

I was able to do it in about 3 hours thanks to the kit from FCPeuro:

View post on imgur.com

The rear is like night and day. I've bought the fronts to have my indy do it. Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352338.50