E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cannot fix rough idle, rpms surginging just above 550!

08-23-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
DanielMuro
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Exclamation

Hello Bimmer fam I need your help!!! I bought a 2006 330i 149k miles as a project car knowing that it was going to have problems. Has a terrible rough idle, the car shakes and I have to give it gas for it to run if I don't it stalls out. when I rev it to 2k and then let off the gas it will drop idle down to 500-600 and the car shakes and the rpms just surge up and down then it eventually stalls. Don't know much about the history of the car because the guy I bought it from got it at auction and he fully disclosed to me it was having idling issues. He bought it with the same intentions of me, it being a project car but he just got a new home and didn't have time to mess with it anymore. Me being pretty mechanically inclined thought I could fix it up and be another daily for me. I figured it was just a bad coil or needed new spark plugs. I have replaced all spark plugs and gapped them correctly. Brand new coils, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, Camshaft sensors, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, pre cat O2 sensors, battery, oil change, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks leading to the throttle body, and the guy before me replaced the fuel pump. I have Bavarian technic that I use to do my diagnostics and I've reset the things I've replaced and its still has a terrible rough idle. Codes telling me both my pre and post cat lambda of bank 1 and 2 are overheating. Please help me what could it be???

Last edited by DanielMuro; 08-23-2019 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
Blocked cats ?
Maybe remove the downpipes and inspect ( endoscope ) or
Maybe borrow / buy some downpipes . ( not mmp )
Or you can take them off and ( cough ) destroy the internal substrate.
Would give you a chance to look at the hot side wheels of the turbos also.

Just a thought
This is probably a good step based on all the things the OP described but there aren’t any turbos on this car...
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMuro View Post
...2006 330i...terrible rough idle, the car shakes and I have to give it gas for it to run if I don't it stalls out. when I rev it to 2k and then let off the gas it will drop idle down to 500-600 and the car shakes and the rpms just surge up and down then it eventually stalls.
I have replaced all spark plugs...coils, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, Camshaft sensors, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, pre cat O2 sensors, battery, oil change, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks leading to the throttle body [HOW was that determined/ tested?] and the guy before me replaced the fuel pump.
I have Bavarian technic that I use to do my diagnostics and I've reset the things I've replaced and its still has a terrible rough idle. Codes telling me both my pre and post cat lambda of bank 1 and 2 are overheating.
Welcome to the Forum!

(A) Please list ALL Fault Codes, with any Definitions, Details, & Freeze Frame Data, related to (1) Faults NOW present, and (2) Fault Codes you previously read, which are NOT now present.

(B) Please list ALL tests or diagnostics of any kind done since you got the vehicle and results of same.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

(A) Please list ALL Fault Codes, with any Definitions, Details, & Freeze Frame Data, related to (1) Faults NOW present, and (2) Fault Codes you previously read, which are NOT now present.

(B) Please list ALL tests or diagnostics of any kind done since you got the vehicle and results of same.

George
this.

all of this.

You've already parts shotgunned a ton of money at this, stop.

but my first suspect would be ESS things, as that seems to be what they do when they start failing.
can the bavaria scanner read the ESS angles in real time?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!

George
this.

all of this.

You've already parts shotgunned a ton of money at this, stop.

but my first suspect would be ESS things, as that seems to be what they do when they start failing.
can the bavaria scanner read the ESS angles in real time?
Quote:
Quote:
...2006 330i...terrible rough idle, the car shakes and I have to give it gas for it to run if I don't it stalls out. when I rev it to 2k and then let off the gas it will drop idle down to 500-600 and the car shakes and the rpms just surge up and down then it eventually stalls.
I have replaced all spark plugs...coils, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, Camshaft sensors, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, pre cat O2 sensors, battery, oil change, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks leading to the throttle body [COLOR="Red"][HOW was that determined/ tested?][/COLOR] and the guy before me replaced the fuel pump.
I have Bavarian technic that I use to do my diagnostics and I've reset the things I've replaced and its still has a terrible rough idle. Codes telling me both my pre and post cat lambda of bank 1 and 2 are overheating.
Welcome to the Forum!

George
I am at work right now I will get all of what you guys asked and report back today!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
I figured it was just a bad coil or needed new spark plugs. I have replaced all spark plugs and gapped them correctly. Brand new coils, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, Camshaft sensors, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, pre cat O2 sensors, battery, oil change, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks leading to the throttle body, and the guy before me replaced the fuel pump. I have Bavarian technic that I use to do my diagnostics and I've reset the things I've replaced and its still has a terrible rough idle. Codes telling me both my pre and post cat lambda of bank 1 and 2 are overheating. Please help me what could it be???
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff to replace blindly chasing the issue. I think changing plugs and maybe even coils on a newly acquired high mileage car is OK, but I wouldn't mess with any of the other stuff until you get a better understanding of what the specific problem is.

What are the specific codes? I'm not aware of any codes for an overheating lambda probe (O2 sensor), however there is a heater circuit for those sensors and if it fails with the sensor heater not working you'll get a code for that. It's possible you just have bad upstream sensors causing the rough running, but the specific codes should be able to point you (and us here who may help with the diagnosis) in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Quote:
I figured it was just a bad coil or needed new spark plugs. I have replaced all spark plugs and gapped them correctly. Brand new coils, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, Camshaft sensors, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, pre cat O2 sensors, battery, oil change, fresh gas, no vacuum leaks leading to the throttle body, and the guy before me replaced the fuel pump. I have Bavarian technic that I use to do my diagnostics and I've reset the things I've replaced and its still has a terrible rough idle. Codes telling me both my pre and post cat lambda of bank 1 and 2 are overheating. Please help me what could it be???
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff to replace blindly chasing the issue. I think changing plugs and maybe even coils on a newly acquired high mileage car is OK, but I wouldn't mess with any of the other stuff until you get a better understanding of what the specific problem is.

What are the specific codes? I'm not aware of any codes for an overheating lambda probe (O2 sensor), however there is a heater circuit for those sensors and if it fails with the sensor heater not working you'll get a code for that. It's possible you just have bad upstream sensors causing the rough running, but the specific codes should be able to point you (and us here who may help with the diagnosis) in the right direction.
Current Fault Codes

2C9C:
2C9C Lambda probe heating in front of catalytic converter, input signal
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Signal or value below threshold

2C9D:
2C9D Lambda probe heating in front of catalytic converter 2, input signal

2C9E:
2C9E Lambda probe heating behind catalytic converter, input signal

2C9F:
2C9F Lambda probe heating behind catalytic converter 2, input signal

Footwell module (FRM)for vehicles up to 09/2006

Current Fault Codes

9CBD:
Communication with stepper motor box left left defective
Error will not cause a warning light
Timeout

9CBE:
Communication with stepper motor box left right defective
Timeout
Footwell module (FRM)for vehicles after 09/2006

Current Fault Codes

9CBD:
Communication with stepper motor box left left defective
Timeout

9CBE:
Communication with stepper motor box left right defective
Timeout
Junction box

Current Fault Codes

A6D5:
Relay ZV lock

A6D4:
Relay ZV unlock

A6D7:
Relay ZV lock (driver)

A6D6:
Relay ZV secure

Longitudinal dynamic management

Current Fault Codes

62D6:
0x62D6 - shut down because of Brake ECU
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have not been completed

Here are all the codes hopefully this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

ALL FOUR (4) of your O2 Sensors have LOW HEATER CIRCUIT, as in NO voltage due to an open circuit or blown fuse. Those Four Fault Codes are the ONLY Fault Codes that you list as NOW PRESENT in the DME.

Has your vehicle had the Breather Heater Recall performed on it? Have you checked Fuse F04 (in the E-box, NOT the JB Fuse Panel) per the following TIS circuit diagram, and Installation Location for F04:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...4-fuse/uM1qAq9
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-330i-lim/SNEe0ZE

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the O2 Sensors for your vehicle. You can click on a Blue Component ID# and then select "Installation Location" or "Connector View":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/otwHfc8

I would get the four O2 Sensor Heaters working (you MAY have to disconnect the Breather Heater Electrical Connector if it has shorted out and blown the fuse. THEN clear the four codes you show and try to run the engine for 10 minutes to see if any other DME Fault Codes appear, OR if the SES light comes on. EACH of those 4 O2 Sensor Heater Faults cause SES light to come on.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I concur with george.

check for power at the 02 sensors, and in addition to his comment I would advise you to closely inspect all of the o2 wiring.
a bundle of burnt wires on a manifold does things.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
ALL FOUR (4) of your O2 Sensors have LOW HEATER CIRCUIT, as in NO voltage due to an open circuit or blown fuse. Those Four Fault Codes are the ONLY Fault Codes that you list as NOW PRESENT in the DME.

Has your vehicle had the Breather Heater Recall performed on it? Have you checked Fuse F04 (in the E-box, NOT the JB Fuse Panel) per the following TIS circuit diagram, and Installation Location for F04:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...4-fuse/uM1qAq9
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-330i-lim/SNEe0ZE

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the O2 Sensors for your vehicle. You can click on a Blue Component ID# and then select "Installation Location" or "Connector View":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/otwHfc8

I would get the four O2 Sensor Heaters working (you MAY have to disconnect the Breather Heater Electrical Connector if it has shorted out and blown the fuse. THEN clear the four codes you show and try to run the engine for 10 minutes to see if any other DME Fault Codes appear, OR if the SES light comes on. EACH of those 4 O2 Sensor Heater Faults cause SES light to come on.

George
Got into the ebox in the ECM and replaced all the fuses, started the car up and it was running the same. Rpms jumped and stalled out. Opened up the fuse box and it's either #2 or number #4 out of the 5 that are in there that keeps blowing. It's the one 2nd from the left of the box. Replaced the fuse started the car and it blew again. No the car has not had the breather heater recall done on it. Just looked at other forums, saw that other people are having this same issue. Made an appointment Wednesday to take it in to get the breather heater recall performed hopefully that fixes my problem. I'll keep you fellas posted I appreciate it greatly!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I concur with george.

check for power at the 02 sensors, and in addition to his comment I would advise you to closely inspect all of the o2 wiring.
a bundle of burnt wires on a manifold does things.
Good thinking I checked the wiring everything seem to check out well, I'm betting it's the PCV valve that has shorted and has burnt that is causing my fuses to blow.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
Blocked cats ?
Maybe remove the downpipes and inspect ( endoscope ) or
Maybe borrow / buy some downpipes . ( not mmp )
Or you can take them off and ( cough ) destroy the internal substrate.
Would give you a chance to look at the hot side wheels of the turbos also.

Just a thought
This is probably a good step based on all the things the OP described but there aren't any turbos on this car...

Oops let me delete .. totally missed that
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #13
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Well fellas I finally figured it out, man will it be an expensive fix. It is the fuel pressure controller module. I used Bavarian technic and looked deeper into the fuel pump section and found the fuel pump controller said it's activated but there is no delivery. I activated the fuel pump controller so there would be delivery with the car running like crap and immediately it idled with steady rpms and after 10 seconds of the activation wearing off it went back to rough idle. Activated it again and same story the Rpms went back to a normal steady idle. So to replace the module I have to take it to bmw for them to replace it and they have to PROGRAM it to the car. Hints why it will be an expensive. UPDATE: just found you can use pre owned ones that once were operating in other vehicles of that same model. Will give that a shot first.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #14
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

Quote:
Well fellas I finally figured it out, man will it be an expensive fix. It is the fuel pressure controller module. I used Bavarian technic and looked deeper into the fuel pump section and found the fuel pump controller said it's activated but there is no delivery. I activated the fuel pump controller so there would be delivery with the car running like crap and immediately it idled with steady rpms and after 10 seconds of the activation wearing off it went back to rough idle. Activated it again and same story the Rpms went back to a normal steady idle. So to replace the module I have to take it to bmw for them to replace it and they have to PROGRAM it to the car. Hints why it will be an expensive. UPDATE: just found you can use pre owned ones that once were operating in other vehicles of that same model. Will give that a shot first.
Any idea how can this be diagnosed with INPA or ISTA+?
      09-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...It is the fuel pressure controller module. I used Bavarian technic and looked deeper into the fuel pump section and found the fuel pump controller said it's activated but there is no delivery. I activated the fuel pump controller so there would be delivery with the car running like crap and immediately it idled with steady rpms and after 10 seconds of the activation wearing off it went back to rough idle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
"Fuel pressure controller module" is WHAT exactly?
I'm aware of the Fuel Pump Control Module (EKP) behind the rear seat squab, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator which is in the tank. Either of those? Also when you say "it's activated but there is no delivery, WHAT is "it"?

Well, first report was just four O2 Sensor Heater Circuit codes in DME, and NO codes in EKP (Fuel Pump Module). BEFORE swapping out ANY parts, maybe should make SURE you are using/ interpreting BT correctly.

Be aware that the DME sends a signal to the EKP to activate the Pump, and the EKP controls the pump directly. If the Pump is NOT operating at sufficient speed or duration to supply proper fuel pressure at the Fuel Rail, but it DOES operate properly, at least at idle, when BT is used to "Activate" the pump (need to understand exactly WHAT is being activated through WHICH Module), then there is a fault SOMEWHERE in the control circuit. We don't yet know WHERE the fault is in the control circuit based upon info provided to date.

So the questions arise:

1) WHAT Module is BT connected to when you are "Activating" the Fuel Pump?
a) You can Activate the pump via the DME, OR
b) You can Activate the pump via the EKP (bypassing the DME control)

Reason you can test BOTH ways with INPA (presume you can with BT as well) is to determine if the EKP is getting signal from DME.

2) What Fault Codes are you reading in DME Memory?

3) What Fault Codes are you reading in EKP Memory?

4) INPA will let you read "Memory History" (HistorySpeicher) in BOTH DME and EKP. Will BT let you do that, and if so, what code information is in EACH related to Fuel Pump?

Memory History retains the fault codes, Definitions and Details, including mileage, when a certain fault occurred, even after it is cleared from Fault Memory (FehlerSpeicher).

So far, we know there is a fault SOMEWHERE in the Fuel Pump Control, between the DME, EKP, and Fuel Pump Connections to the EKP. Diagnostic equipment, either INPA, ISTA or BT, used correctly, SHOULD allow you to determine what to test next (wiring, connectors, or Modules) to correctly identify the issue.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
...It is the fuel pressure controller module. I used Bavarian technic and looked deeper into the fuel pump section and found the fuel pump controller said it's activated but there is no delivery. I activated the fuel pump controller so there would be delivery with the car running like crap and immediately it idled with steady rpms and after 10 seconds of the activation wearing off it went back to rough idle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
"Fuel pressure controller module" is WHAT exactly?
I'm aware of the Fuel Pump Control Module (EKP) behind the rear seat squab, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator which is in the tank. Either of those? Also when you say "it's activated but there is no delivery, WHAT is "it"?

Well, first report was just four O2 Sensor Heater Circuit codes in DME, and NO codes in EKP (Fuel Pump Module). BEFORE swapping out ANY parts, maybe should make SURE you are using/ interpreting BT correctly.

Be aware that the DME sends a signal to the EKP to activate the Pump, and the EKP controls the pump directly. If the Pump is NOT operating at sufficient speed or duration to supply proper fuel pressure at the Fuel Rail, but it DOES operate properly, at least at idle, when BT is used to "Activate" the pump (need to understand exactly WHAT is being activated through WHICH Module), then there is a fault SOMEWHERE in the control circuit. We don't yet know WHERE the fault is in the control circuit based upon info provided to date.

So the questions arise:

1) WHAT Module is BT connected to when you are "Activating" the Fuel Pump?
a) You can Activate the pump via the DME, OR
b) You can Activate the pump via the EKP (bypassing the DME control)

Reason you can test BOTH ways with INPA (presume you can with BT as well) is to determine if the EKP is getting signal from DME.

2) What Fault Codes are you reading in DME Memory?

3) What Fault Codes are you reading in EKP Memory?

4) INPA will let you read "Memory History" (HistorySpeicher) in BOTH DME and EKP. Will BT let you do that, and if so, what code information is in EACH related to Fuel Pump?

Memory History retains the fault codes, Definitions and Details, including mileage, when a certain fault occurred, even after it is cleared from Fault Memory (FehlerSpeicher).

So far, we know there is a fault SOMEWHERE in the Fuel Pump Control, between the DME, EKP, and Fuel Pump Connections to the EKP. Diagnostic equipment, either INPA, ISTA or BT, used correctly, SHOULD allow you to determine what to test next (wiring, connectors, or Modules) to correctly identify the issue.

George

George,
Yes that is what I'm referring to the EKP module. So yes we had codes for o2 sensors. The pcv shorted and it kept popping fuses in the ebox for the o2 sensors. Got the pcv replaced and changed the fuses that issue is fixed now. Cleared all the codes and started the car. Still ran like crap and ran BT to pull any new codes. Now I'm getting code 6292 in the fuel pump section. As my findings were yesterday I'm having my issue in the fuel delivery system of things. I have replaced all the fuses in the fuse box so I know it's not something there but I'm thinking it's the relay for the fuel pressure/EKP module. You have asked lots of questions I don't know the answer to yet I will dig deeper to report back with those answered. Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
DanielMuro
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
FIXED!!!

Yup the EKP module was bad. Replaced it with a pre owned one of that car and it starts and idles perfectly!!! I'm so happy to have it fixed thank you everyone that has helped me!
Appreciate 0