E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RB Hotside Silicone Outlets

02-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #67
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

yup agreed but I guess what i was indicating was that perhaps it wont be worth my while my do 2-3 kits for other guys if they have niggly fitment issues.. id be doing r&d soaking up time and $ for no gain potentially?

should know more by the time i do mine i guess to determine if a few more sets can be done!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #68
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i DCT

[QUOTE=DR-JEKL;22779701]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Trnsfmr View Post

Yeah I'll be doing a hardpipe outlet. Ive had my VTT GC Lites since Dec 17 been waiting for the fkn VRSF Race FMIC to ship since then (they reckon this week it'll ship from the usa) Once the FMIC arrives the turbo install will commence!

What turbos and FMIC do you have?

My fabricator said its kinda impossible to quote how much 2-3-4 sets will be he'll know once he does mine what the cost will be and if its worthwhile to replicatea few more sets.

The other complication is everyone will have different FMIC options and a hardpipe kit is less forgiving in terms of fitment so this could be an issue also to start doing kits?
I have a PSP 750c (2.5" angled) on its way here now, and I'm just about to order VTT 2+ turbos, and probably MMP inlets.
My stockers are smoking like a biatch so I'm really needing to sort out this outlet situation so I can do it all at the one time. I don't think I can drive my car any more due to the smoke, so it's getting urgent now.
As has already been mentioned, if the outlets finished where the stock ones do each person could use a coupler specific to their individual ic.
Dusty's outlet looks great and we only really need to address the rear outlet/steering shaft area. The rest (from washer pipe forward) should be same as LHD.
I'm wondering whether the rear turbo connection can be cut off his one and reconfigured for our needs, or we start from scratch.
I spoke with him a few days ago and he said he would try to get hold of an oem RHD pipe and see what he can do. If a few of us got together perhaps he may make up a run for us. That's another possibility.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #69
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=N54Trnsfmr;22780310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Quote:

Yeah I'll be doing a hardpipe outlet. Ive had my VTT GC Lites since Dec 17 been waiting for the fkn VRSF Race FMIC to ship since then (they reckon this week it'll ship from the usa) Once the FMIC arrives the turbo install will commence!

What turbos and FMIC do you have?

My fabricator said its kinda impossible to quote how much 2-3-4 sets will be he'll know once he does mine what the cost will be and if its worthwhile to replicatea few more sets.

The other complication is everyone will have different FMIC options and a hardpipe kit is less forgiving in terms of fitment so this could be an issue also to start doing kits?
I have a PSP 750c (2.5" angled) on its way here now, and I'm just about to order VTT 2+ turbos, and probably MMP inlets.
My stockers are smoking like a biatch so I'm really needing to sort out this outlet situation so I can do it all at the one time. I don't think I can drive my car any more due to the smoke, so it's getting urgent now.
As has already been mentioned, if the outlets finished where the stock ones do each person could use a coupler specific to their individual ic.
Dusty's outlet looks great and we only really need to address the rear outlet/steering shaft area. The rest (from washer pipe forward) should be same as LHD.
I'm wondering whether the rear turbo connection can be cut off his one and reconfigured for our needs, or we start from scratch.
I spoke with him a few days ago and he said he would try to get hold of an oem RHD pipe and see what he can do. If a few of us got together perhaps he may make up a run for us. That's another possibility.
That would be great, he was pretty arrogant and totally not interested when i contacted him re modding his pipe to fit. he basically said nup wont fit and didn't really respond to RHD modded pipe.

Does he have pics of a rhd outlet at least?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #70
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DR-JEKL;22780327]
Quote:
That would be great, he was pretty arrogant and totally not interested when i contacted him re modding his pipe to fit. he basically said nup wont fit and didn't really respond to RHD modded pipe.

Does he have pics of a rhd outlet at least?
He was quite helpful when I spoke with him a couple days ago. I sent him lots of pics of the piping and steering situation. So only as good as you can get whilst it's still on the car.
I don't know how serious he was at this stage.
They know that there won't be hundreds of RHD customers, so we're not too well catered for.
I guess we could buy his LHD and mod it here. I know it adds to the expense but maybe cheaper than reinventing what has already been R&D and tested on LHD vehicles.
He also sent me horror pics of melted inlets/outlets, ones worn through from rubbing, and a few cross sections showing major flaws (90% occluded). They are all made in China I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #71
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=N54Trnsfmr;22780383]
Quote:

He was quite helpful when I spoke with him a couple days ago. I sent him lots of pics of the piping and steering situation. So only as good as you can get whilst it's still on the car.
They know that there won't be hundreds of RHD customers, so we're not too well catered for.
I guess we could buy his LHD and mod it here. I know it adds to the expense but maybe cheaper than reinventing what has already been R&D and tested on LHD vehicles.
He also sent me horror pics of melted inlets/outlets, ones worn through from rubbing, and a few cross sections showing major flaws (90% occluded). They are all made in China I believe.
Sounds good!

I reckon the FMIC portion of the outlet would be fine, this was a part I asked if he would sell separate (I was thinking the y merge would be somewhat tricky to fabricate and could save some $ by just modding other pipes and silicon joiners to accomodate the PSP MMP style outlet to fit RHD..

Yeah unfortunately it seems relatively common to have outlet failure, but according to RB the failure rate is very low (I cant believe that or either they're all too new and once in service a few years will start degrading from the constant heat cycling and will start to fail then)

When will you be installing your turbos do ya reckon?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #72
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I would +1 a RHD full metal outlet solution. Would need to work with TFT inlets, not that I think that's an issue, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #73
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I would +1 a RHD full metal outlet solution. Would need to work with TFT inlets, not that I think that's an issue, just saying.
That would be an issue

The TFT inlets for RHD go around the back of the steering shaft. Any larger outlet solution (with the exception of an unsquashed pipe) for RHD will most likely wrap around the back of the steering shaft as well.
      02-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #74
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
That would be an issue

The TFT inlets for RHD go around the back of the steering shaft. Any larger outlet solution (with the exception of an unsquashed pipe) for RHD will most likely wrap around the back of the steering shaft as well.
Do 1M's have the M3 reduced dia steering shaft? (just curious not indicating this would be a solution)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #75
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Do 1M's have the M3 reduced dia steering shaft? (just curious not indicating this would be a solution)
Yes they do
      02-14-2018, 12:12 AM   #76
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Hmm thats a good point there. I think an unsquashed stock-route outlet will have to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #77
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Hmm thats a good point there. I think an unsquashed stock-route outlet will have to do.
I think once a custom set that fits RHD is made from aluminium and perhaps using an oval profile in critical areas to maintain clearance but also flow it could be easily duplicated and would definitely have a niche market...
      02-14-2018, 01:50 AM   #78
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

Guys,

Having personally witnessed some cool things like am m54 turbo which started as an after hours fUc$ around turn into a full custom everything build making 245rwkw on 6psi stock motor with almost 300k (might be an e46,36 and 30 product for under 10k) or as far as I know the words first r34 with complete vr38 and 4wd conversion in literally 2weeks, I had the pleasure to witness some of the finest fabrication I've ever seen.

For the n54, some of the lengths you guys go to is quiet amazing. But the fact is we should not have to. Silicon touching rubbing everything, having to cable tie shit around steering shafts wondering when it will fail, bashing things out with mallets etc, anyway you catch my drift. Personally most of these products seem backyard in standard with little to no science and everything seems to be a compromise of sorts or simply just rubbish. I know there is a custom turbo project going on for our market various other bits and bobs which is awesome and im sure the end results will be great. There really needs to be more of that. To make these hard pipes work is totally doable if the demand is there. Il probably do myself one in the future and put it out there, not sure. Making a setup with a various multi fit is probably doable also, I don't see the big deal. Anyway if anyone is keen and we get a group together we could easily make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:51 AM   #79
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

Forgot to mention if anyone needs m3 intermediate shaft, I've got 3 or 4 lying aroud.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #80
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsd View Post
Forgot to mention if anyone needs m3 intermediate shaft, I've got 3 or 4 lying aroud.
I'll definitely get one of those depending on how much you want for it. Wanting all the space I can get down there.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #81
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll definitely get one of those depending on how much you want for it. Wanting all the space I can get down there.
new they would be ridiculous, not sure. pm me a reasonable offer.
as the other chap already described they are allot thinner.
it seems to me bmw went no compromise with the s65 headers and given its na, probably couldn't not afford to but it does not explain why the 1m unit is the same as the m3. perhaps there is also some other science behind it, who knows. il take a photo of my own unit to show you guys fitment / clearance. give me a little
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:22 AM   #82
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DR-JEKL;22781050]
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good!

I reckon the FMIC portion of the outlet would be fine, this was a part I asked if he would sell separate (I was thinking the y merge would be somewhat tricky to fabricate and could save some $ by just modding other pipes and silicon joiners to accomodate the PSP MMP style outlet to fit RHD..

Yeah unfortunately it seems relatively common to have outlet failure, but according to RB the failure rate is very low (I cant believe that or either they're all too new and once in service a few years will start degrading from the constant heat cycling and will start to fail then)

[QUOTE=DR-JEKL;22781050]
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good!

I guess realistically it will be about 1 month away. I'm getting ceramic coating which takes a few weeks, then assembly and shipping from U.S.

That y merge is beautiful and as you say we can use the front piece, and have the rear piece fabricated to go behind the steering column. We could do that part here.
MMP stage 3 require silicon joiners, while most other hybrids can use the v band as supplied in the PSP kit (correct me if I'm wrong).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:55 AM   #83
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good!

Sounds good!

When will you be installing your turbos do ya reckon?[/QUOTE]

This is a cross section of a popular silicon outlet (not RB) you can see that it is almost totally occluded from manufacturing defect. So there's that plus melting, cracking, bursting, popping off rear turbo, which is inconvenient when out driving...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #84
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
We've been selling these for about 2.5 years and we have sold well over 150 sets including all models (and stock style/evo styles). We have seen 1 (yes 1) failure in the silicone... and it was from one who opted from using the heat shield. We have had COUNTLESS purchasers coming from other vendors outlet products who went through them in short amounts of time, all we can say is that you get what you pay for there...

All this said we do not claim these will last forever and they will NOT have the longevity of say aluminum or steel, obviously. But they have done REALLY well all things considered, and unfortunately the competitors products seem to be doing the talking when really it is apples and oranges between ours and theirs.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 02-15-2018 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #85
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=Rob@RBTurbo;22787250]
Quote:

We've been selling these for about 1.5 years and we have sold well over 150 sets including all models (and stock style/evo styles). We have seen 1 (yes 1) failure in the silicone... and it was from one who opted from using the heat shield. We have had COUNTLESS purchasers coming from other vendors outlet products who went through them in short amounts of time, all we can say is that you get what you pay for there...

All this said we do not claim these will last forever and they will NOT have the longevity of say aluminum or steel, obviously. But they have done REALLY well all things considered, and unfortunately the competitors products seem to be doing the talking when really it is apples and oranges between ours and theirs.

Thanks,
Rob
To be clear, can your product be installed on a rhd platform with total clearance around everything? If installed correctly according to whatever your specs does it physically touch anything that the oem setup does not?

Getting answers to such seemingly simple questions seems to be difficult, not with your products specifically just everything generally.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #86
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsd View Post
To be clear, can your product be installed on a rhd platform with total clearance around everything? If installed correctly according to whatever your specs does it physically touch anything that the oem setup does not?

Getting answers to such seemingly simple questions seems to be difficult, not with your products specifically just everything generally.
Here is what we have learned from this thread about the RB N54 EVO style RHD outlets: If you have your steering wheel tilted all of the way up- the steering shaft will come close to and/or rub the outlet. If you do not tilt the wheel all the way up or position it more straightforward, no issues. It is worth making it exceptionally clear however that these are the RB N54 EVO style RHD outlets (which are larger diameter), not the RB N54 standard frame style outlets (which are smaller diameter), meaning if you do not have our Super RB EVO generation of turbos (as the OP does) along with their affiliated RB EVO style RHD outlets then this thread in its entirety does not apply to you.

In short the fitment on the RB N54 Standard Frame High Flow RHD outlets is very good, if it were not we would have heard a ton of grief and we would not have distributors buying more and more across two continents.

Our product talk aside we do support an aluminum product as being superior when it comes to durability, longevity, etc. Fitment will be a bear, however, without making the setup numerous pieces and with each piece will require just another length of silicone for a coupler along with a couple clamps (and thus a couple more potential leak points). Ultimately it is going to be a difficult endeavor to do it most ideally, no matter how you look at it.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 02-15-2018 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #87
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

For anyone thinking of buying the RB EVO Style outlets, just remember that the OEM coolant expansion tank (RHD) cannot be used as the bottom hose outlet fouls with the silicon outlet. This is not a problem with the standard frame style outlets. One solution for this is to relocate the tank to the ODS of the engine bay by purchasing a 335D coolant expansion tank and power steering oil reservoir bracket. However, to do this, you will require a 335D style CP to clear the bottom hose outlet on the 335D expansion tank. (VRSF sell these). In my case, I already had a ER CP and Forge DVs which I didn't want to replace so I modified the RHD expansion tank which so far is working but long term reliability maybe an issue. I have just mentioned this so people realise there are additional costs involved apart from the cost of the EVO Style outlets. But if you are installing the Super RB EVO turbos, there is no choice but to use these and make them fit. An aluminium item which would be a smaller diameter and didn't foul the RHD coolant expansion tank would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #88
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Any value in these for stock turbo guys? I remember peter fiddling with the stock outlets years ago in someone's car but not sure if it made power (I've been out of the game for a few years).
Appreciate 0