E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Central locking no longer working via nkey fob

01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Central locking no longer working via nkey fob

Hi guys.
Yesterday I found the my key fob wouldn't open my E91, then later in the day it started working again. I've since been using the manual key which does work the central locking as does the button on the dash.

I tried the spare key fob and the problem is still the same, so today I checked the fuses 2, 19, 56, 57 & 63 (which are all markedas door locking and known as fuse 72 on some models), but all were ok.

Any suggestions?
      01-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Most probably the OSF door actuator as that is the main trigger for the whole system via the remote fob.
      01-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Most probably the OSF door actuator as that is the main trigger for the whole system via the remote fob.
Is there any way to confirm that this is the case?
      01-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Blow me, the key fobs are working again now.

Quarry motors have quoted £40 for a used cl motor and say they sell lots of them (can't think why). If it goes again they offered to plug one in to see if it works again as the plug is accessable behind the door panel and I can drive there with it removed.

Fingers crossed it either keeps working, or when it shows the fault plugging another one in proves the fault.
      01-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It stopped working again today, damn thing cant make up its mind. The central locking still works, but not via the key fobs.

Coincidentally it was raining when it last stopped working and is raining again today, so im going to take the door panel off when i have time on friday to see if its getting wet inside the door.

Ideas anyone?
      01-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

I will put money on this being a wire in the tailgate hinge about to break. Happened to me in a 5 series.

BMW quotes about £1800 to fix it as they had to replace the entire loom which was a huge amount of work as the loom goes from the boot through the headlining and down to the front bulkhead. I pulled the loom out from the hinge and found the broken wire and fixed it myself for pennies.

I did a diy guide obviously for the e61 but it sounds like bmw screwed this design up too so its probably similar..

http://forums.5series.net/topic/7275...t/page__st__15
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesney72 View Post
I will put money on this being a wire in the tailgate hinge about to break. Happened to me in a 5 series.

BMW quotes about £1800 to fix it as they had to replace the entire loom which was a huge amount of work as the loom goes from the boot through the headlining and down to the front bulkhead. I pulled the loom out from the hinge and found the broken wire and fixed it myself for pennies.

I did a diy guide obviously for the e61 but it sounds like bmw screwed this design up too so its probably similar..

http://forums.5series.net/topic/7275...t/page__st__15
Thanks.
I've had the glass tailgate out before, so I'll look into that when it's light.
      01-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Happened to me.. it was the the amplifier in the rear spoiler.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611052
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Happened to me.. it was the the amplifier in the rear spoiler.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611052
Weird cos that was what a main dealer told me it was and i bought it from them and it didnt fix it. They refused to take the part back that they said i needed!! Needless to say i gave them shit for that and they eventualy took it.

Prob was the wires which go to that amplifier that were broken. Some amplifiers go as water can get in hence it shows as faulty on a scan. It's easy to check if water has got in. Worth a look and its only 3 nuts to take off the spoiler and then prise the plastic lid off to get to the amp if i remember. Would be easier to fix but was about £130 for the part

Last edited by chesney72; 01-28-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Yeh its worth popping it off.. takes 5 mins. Mine first started by playing up couple times, tried the other key fob and it was ok.. following day played up. It will eventually have you thinking your keyfob batteries are dead, well thats what I thought.

Anyway, it was an easy fix I used tigerseal to bond the cover back no chance of water getting in there now!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Yeh its worth popping it off.. takes 5 mins. Mine first started by playing up couple times, tried the other key fob and it was ok.. following day played up. It will eventually have you thinking your keyfob batteries are dead, well thats what I thought.

Anyway, it was an easy fix I used tigerseal to bond the cover back no chance of water getting in there now!
Yeah 1st dealer I went to sold me a new key!! Grrrr! Wasn't so bad as I needed a spare anyway. Sods law it worked when the guy came out to set it up but as soon as I got home it failed again.

Good idea about sealing it. I might pop mine off and check and seal it now that its reminded me
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Update:

Having checked the wiring that goes through the roof to the tailgate window boot either side of the car, I then removed the rear spoiler to check the Diversity module, which was wet. This has corrodd some parts of the circuit, which I cleaned, but still doesn't work.

I'm going to try one from a mates car or go to a BMW breakers to confirm, but this could well be the cause of the fault.
Attached Images

01-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
M330Touring
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: M Sport Touring 330i

It will be the circuit board fried! - it's a common fault, mine suffered from this when I brought it. Get a good one from a breaker as BMW want around £180 for one. I cut a piece of 6mm foam rubber to sit on top of the housing, so that it keeps the lid tight down on the base when you tighten down the roof spoiler.That and silicone around the joint should stop water getting in again.
      02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Good news. A mate who owns a another E91 let me try his Diversity module on my car today and the remote central locking worked straight away, I will therefore be buying a replacement asap.
      02-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
fairmountvewe
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xI Touring

Just out of curiosity, did you have to "reprogram" the new module to your remotes? The reason I ask is because my wife's e91 was just diagnosed with the same problem. Our dealership here wants close to $1000 to fix it. After reading your DIY, I have decided to do the actual parts changing myself, but I presume I will still have to take it to a dealer to get the fobs programed to the module. Hence the question. Thanks.

Peter
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
M330Touring
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: M Sport Touring 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmountvewe View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you have to "reprogram" the new module to your remotes? The reason I ask is because my wife's e91 was just diagnosed with the same problem. Our dealership here wants close to $1000 to fix it. After reading your DIY, I have decided to do the actual parts changing myself, but I presume I will still have to take it to a dealer to get the fobs programed to the module. Hence the question. Thanks.

Peter
No reprogramming required, it's only a receiver unit that sends the signal to the main unit. It's just plug and play
      02-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
+1

No programming required. Just fit a new Diversity module and it will work straight away. My local dealer wanted £200 for the part and breakers on ebay wanted £100, but i found an entire tailgate for sale on ebay and offered the seller £50 to remove the module.

When i fitted the new module i taped it in plastic film and put sealant inside the top cover to stop water getting in again.
      02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
fairmountvewe
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xI Touring

Well thanks for all the info and support. I replaced the module last night in just under 40 minutes. Works like a charm. I did spray some non-conductive water repellant spray (Starett M1) on the module, hoping to delay the onset of corrosion. The lid seems to fit well, and came from the factory with a small bead of sealant around the inside of the rim, so I will watch it during the spring and see if I need more rigorous sealing methods. My wife is thrilled and that makes it all worth while. Again, my thanks to all.

Peter
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
raddersmanu
Rep
Drives: 335d se auto

help with diversity amplifier

Can anyone confirm what my local bmw dealer is telling me that the diversity amplifier (£220) is chassis specific, due to the individual spec of the car ?Having read a great deal about central locking working intermitantly and then not at all I am convinced this is my problem.I have found some on ebay for around £60 but will they work?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Possibly, as some cars have more features that go through the module. I found that the part number on mine was a commonly used module. May be worth removing yours, checking for corrosion and noting the part number to track down another one.
      05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
raddersmanu
Rep
Drives: 335d se auto

Yes I will do that thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just found another complete tailgate on Ebay. You could make an offer to buy the whole thing, or ask them to sell you the module, even if it meant sending them yours to fill the gap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Seri...item4ab791fb52