E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stumped on this N55 limp mode 🤨

03-15-2024, 02:26 AM   #1
zohaibrose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Stumped on this N55 limp mode 🤨

Ok I gotta say I did not realize how complex the N54 and N55 dme actually are I keep thinking their basic and run like a e36 dme but these seem to be far more involved, currently I’m stumped on my N55 335 e9x I’ve never seen this issue before and not quite sure what it means

It keeps going into limp mode and builds no boost I keep getting this vanos exhaust fault and can’t seem to figure it out despite what I do I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction I’ve tried swapping the vanos solenoids but the same fault keeps showing 🤔 I uploaded some attatchments to see the fault I was running into and runs pretty lean when accelerating
Mods:Speedtech single turbo 6466 mafless tuned by wedge performance, base tune
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohaibrose View Post
... N55 335 e9x... It keeps going into limp mode and builds no boost I keep getting this vanos exhaust fault and can’t seem to figure it out... I’ve tried swapping the vanos solenoids but the same fault keeps showing...
MOST Fault Code Service Plan/ Service Notes suggest testing WIRING/ Connectors BEFORE swapping parts. See attached BMW Fault Code Lookup Fault Info LINKS for your two Exhaust Vanos Solenoid Fault Codes:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...EAOAAxADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAMAAxADAANAA=

If you have the SAME Exhaust VANOS codes after swapping solenoids, then you clearly have a wiring/ dme issue rather than the Solenoid component itself. It helps to have the ISTA wiring diagram and connector view to identify the correct TESTING points/ procedure. I attach those diagrams to NEXT Post, so as NOT to ruin margins here.

The Exhaust VANOS Solenoid, Y6276, has TWO wires, both of which are connected to DME Connector X60003. The Red/Green wire runs from X60003/26 at dme to X6276/1 at the Solenoid. There should be battery voltage at that socket (X6276/1) with Ignition ON, but the fault codes do NOT suggest an issue with voltage supply.

The OTHER wire, White "T_NWA" wire, is the "SIGNAL" wire going to the DME, and THAT is the wire that has a short/ open circuit, according to my interpretation of the Fault Info Links above. So you need to TEST that wire with Multimeter, with Ignition OFF, and BOTH Connectors (X6276 & X60003) disconnected. Inspect the specific Pins & Sockets (X60003/10 & X6276/2 for any moisture, corrosion, pin damage or loose socket. Clean with Electronic Contact Cleaner.

TESTS, with Connectors DIS-connected:
1) Continuity in White wire, between Sockets X60003/10 at DME, and X6276/2 at Solenoid connector.

2) Test for "Short-to-Ground": there should be NO continuity between X6276/2 Socket & Chassis Ground. Jiggle wiring in each test to check for CHANGE in meter reading with manipulation of wire/harness.

3) I do NOT know MHD capabilities. If you have ANYTHING that can display Cam Angle or Solenoid % activation as Live data, watching that for values displayed with engine running can offer clues.

If you don't have a Multimeter, you can get one for $3 at HFT, or $10 at Amazon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
If you need any details related to test procedure, or any more ISTA ScreenPrints, please advise.
George
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 10:25 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints referenced in Prior Post, re N55 Exhaust VANOS Solenoid wiring.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:51 AM   #4
zohaibrose
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
MOST Fault Code Service Plan/ Service Notes suggest testing WIRING/ Connectors BEFORE swapping parts. See attached BMW Fault Code Lookup Fault Info LINKS for your two Exhaust Vanos Solenoid Fault Codes:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...EAOAAxADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAMAAxADAANAA=

If you have the SAME Exhaust VANOS codes after swapping solenoids, then you clearly have a wiring/ dme issue rather than the Solenoid component itself. It helps to have the ISTA wiring diagram and connector view to identify the correct TESTING points/ procedure. I attach those diagrams to NEXT Post, so as NOT to ruin margins here.

The Exhaust VANOS Solenoid, Y6276, has TWO wires, both of which are connected to DME Connector X60003. The Red/Green wire runs from X60003/26 at dme to X6276/1 at the Solenoid. There should be battery voltage at that socket (X6276/1) with Ignition ON, but the fault codes do NOT suggest an issue with voltage supply.

The OTHER wire, White "T_NWA" wire, is the "SIGNAL" wire going to the DME, and THAT is the wire that has a short/ open circuit, according to my interpretation of the Fault Info Links above. So you need to TEST that wire with Multimeter, with Ignition OFF, and BOTH Connectors (X6276 & X60003) disconnected. Inspect the specific Pins & Sockets (X60003/10 & X6276/2 for any moisture, corrosion, pin damage or loose socket. Clean with Electronic Contact Cleaner.

TESTS, with Connectors DIS-connected:
1) Continuity in White wire, between Sockets X60003/10 at DME, and X6276/2 at Solenoid connector.

2) Test for "Short-to-Ground": there should be NO continuity between X6276/2 Socket & Chassis Ground. Jiggle wiring in each test to check for CHANGE in meter reading with manipulation of wire/harness.

3) I do NOT know MHD capabilities. If you have ANYTHING that can display Cam Angle or Solenoid % activation as Live data, watching that for values displayed with engine running can offer clues.

If you don't have a Multimeter, you can get one for $3 at HFT, or $10 at Amazon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
If you need any details related to test procedure, or any more ISTA ScreenPrints, please advise.
George
Ok I did the tests today I did have continuity between the white wire and the wire from the connector that goes to the dme pin 10, and for test # 2 there was no continuity or beeping from the red and green wire from vanos solenoid connector and the vehicles ground.i even swapped a used vanos solenoid for the exhaust but the same error occurred it actually comes right back once I clear the codes like immediately once I start the car 🤔
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:38 AM   #5
zohaibrose
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok fixed it turned out to be the ccv port was plugged. I plugged it when i did a single turbo swap but soon as i took it out the codes were all gone, hope this helps anyone in the future def don’t plug the ccv port on the VC
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251680.00
GoRomeo965.00