E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Xenon Headlight Hell Plz Help

09-17-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
n54xdrive
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Exclamation Xenon Headlight Hell Plz Help

I tried to fixing my sister's xenon headlight today on her 2011 328i xdrive e92. I've noticed it typically has a lot of condensation in it so I figured the ballast was damaged by water. Her driver's side headlight works fine but passenger's side low beam won't work. Everything else on the passenger's side headlight works perfectly fine such as the blinker and angel eyes but no light from the headlight. I removed it and found that the ballast was soaking wet and corroded and so was the adaptive headlight control unit. I switched the ballast and the adaptive control unit to the bad headlight from the good driver's side headlight but still no light from the headlight bulb. She took it somewhere and they already replaced the bulb with a brand new one so I didn't bother switching that but I checked it out just in case and it did indeed look brand new. I'm pretty stumped on what my next course of action should be.

So, at this point I am certain that the ballast and adaptive headlight control unit is no good but I am not sure what else could be the problem. I don't want her to spend the money on the two parts if the problem can't be fixed. LCI xenon adaptive headlight assemblies are really expensive and hard to find used. I'm about ready to give up and unplug the bulb on the other side and get her a really nice set of led fog lights lmao. But seriously if u have an idea what I should try next please help. Let me know if u need anymore information such as fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

The FRM will disable specific lighting circuits when a fault is repeatedly detected. I don't know the exact number of times, but there is a counter than can be reset with Tool32. It's possible that the water caused a short and the FRM disabled the xenons and adaptive modules. There's a post somewhere here that has the name and hex code of each light and instructions on how to reset. Do you have a K+DCAN cable and standard tools?
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
n54xdrive
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The FRM will disable specific lighting circuits when a fault is repeatedly detected. I don't know the exact number of times, but there is a counter than can be reset with Tool32. It's possible that the water caused a short and the FRM disabled the xenons and adaptive modules. There's a post somewhere here that has the name and hex code of each light and instructions on how to reset. Do you have a K+DCAN cable and standard tools?
Thank you, that makes sense. Yes I do have a K+DCAN cable and tools.