E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Pointing Down. Adjustment Screws Maxed Out. Ride Height Sensors OK.

09-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #1
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

Headlight Pointing Down. Adjustment Screws Maxed Out. Ride Height Sensors OK.

I know there is perhaps 100 threads on this forum already, but please hear me out. I couldn't find an answer after reading them.

The responses I've read are:
1) There are right height sensors and the headlight will auto level. - It doesn't for me, at least not enough.
2) Check the rear ride height sensor, it may be installed incorrectly. - I have verified that it is installed correectly.
3) Use the adjustment screws - I have maxed them out.
4) Check if the attachment points have popped out ("lazy eye") - I have verified that all 3 attachment points for each headlight are secure.

So now what...? Below are more details:

So I recently installed a set of coilover. The coilover changes the rake of the car. From the factory the front ride height is higher than the rear; now they are level. I don't want to raise my front ride height to be higher than the rear. It doesn't look right.

After installing the coilover I found my headlight pointing down. I adjusted them using the adjustment screws. After I did all the things listed above, the lights are still pointing slightly down. On a level road the visibility is barely acceptable; If the road curves up then maybe I can see 50 feet in front of me and I can also see the sharp cutoff of the headlight pattern.

I know the headlight should be pointing slightly down tom avoid blinding oncoming traffic. But I also know when my lights are pointing too much down. Besides, maxing out the adjustment screws in order to get the correct aim just doesn't sound right.

When I was checking those things, I tested the sensors by disconnecting the connecting rods and moving the arms by hand. Both the front and rear sensors work. However, I have noticed that when I move the rear sensor, the auto-leveling system adjusts the headlight angle by a lot; when I move the front sensor, it only adjusts by a little. I bought new sensors, same thing.

So my theory is that the rear ride height affects the auto-leveling more than the front ride height. Even if I were to drop the front and rear by the same amount, the auto-leveling system will point the headlight lower because the rear ride height has more say. And the fact that I dropped the front more than the rear just makes things worse.

Am I on the right track here or if the problem is caused by something else? Is there a "auto-leveling sensor correction kit" or something that I can install?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Is rear ride height same as it was before the coil over install? I installled ground control coil overs and actually raised the front up about 1/4". My car is an M-sport (same as sport suspension wise) so it is lower than base by 3/4". My car's front bumper was scraping the driveway and I wanted to fix this prior to getting bumper repaired and repainted. I raised the rear the same 1/4".

So in theory, my ride height is 1/2" lower than base.

I'm curious if you temporarily adjust coil overs back to same ride height as prior to install if the projectors go back up. if yes, perhaps consider adding a link or changing the linkage on the sensors to duplicate where they are to fool them into thinking you're at normal ride height instead of your desired setting.

It doesn't sound like your change is ride height is that much. Good luck and please update thread when you figure this out. Reason, I may want to go back down a bit or at least adjust some.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Is rear ride height same as it was before the coil over install? I installled ground control coil overs and actually raised the front up about 1/4". My car is an M-sport (same as sport suspension wise) so it is lower than base by 3/4". My car's front bumper was scraping the driveway and I wanted to fix this prior to getting bumper repaired and repainted. I raised the rear the same 1/4".

So in theory, my ride height is 1/2" lower than base.

I'm curious if you temporarily adjust coil overs back to same ride height as prior to install if the projectors go back up. if yes, perhaps consider adding a link or changing the linkage on the sensors to duplicate where they are to fool them into thinking you're at normal ride height instead of your desired setting.

It doesn't sound like your change is ride height is that much. Good luck and please update thread when you figure this out. Reason, I may want to go back down a bit or at least adjust some.
The ride height has been lowered compared to stock. The front has been lowered by about an inch and the rear by 3/4" or so.

I thought about putting the ride height back to stock and see if that isolates the problem, but adjusting the rear ride height requires a lot of force. It's like going to the gym. So not gonna do that unless absolutely necessary.

I might make a home-made linkage to test out the theory and if it is true, swap it out with a properly made one. Will update here but it's gonna be slow - so any suggestion is welcome! There must be someone who has figured this out.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #4
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Update to this thread. Problem found. One of the three attachments was not fully attached.

The adaptive headlight has three attachments to the headlight housing. Taking the passenger side headlight (left hand drive as in the U.S.) as an example, attachment point 1 is with the motor, and 2 and 3 are with the manual leveling screws. If attachment 1 or 2 pop off, it will cause "lazy eye" and very easy to spot. You can also visually see them being off when looking into the headlight housing through the wheel well. However, if 3 is off, the headlight still sort of seems normal and I could not visually see the attachment point. If you poke at the assembly, it is sort of secure with minimal movement. Afraid that I will break something, which has definitely not happened before, I didn't poke it too hard.

So a couple days ago for some unknown reason, I decided to pull on the top half of the assembly hard just to see if the 3rd attachment is off, and it is. I can hear a "click" when I pulled on it and after that I no longer need to max out the leveling screw to achieve the correct aim. The assembly is also really secure now, not with minimal movement but no movement at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #5
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
Update to this thread. Problem found. One of the three attachments was not fully attached.

The adaptive headlight has three attachments to the headlight housing. Taking the passenger side headlight (left hand drive as in the U.S.) as an example, attachment point 1 is with the motor, and 2 and 3 are with the manual leveling screws. If attachment 1 or 2 pop off, it will cause "lazy eye" and very easy to spot. You can also visually see them being off when looking into the headlight housing through the wheel well. However, if 3 is off, the headlight still sort of seems normal and I could not visually see the attachment point. If you poke at the assembly, it is sort of secure with minimal movement. Afraid that I will break something, which has definitely not happened before, I didn't poke it too hard.

So a couple days ago for some unknown reason, I decided to pull on the top half of the assembly hard just to see if the 3rd attachment is off, and it is. I can hear a "click" when I pulled on it and after that I no longer need to max out the leveling screw to achieve the correct aim. The assembly is also really secure now, not with minimal movement but no movement at all.
Pictures:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0