E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Overboosting - 30FE

07-11-2015, 04:57 AM   #1
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Overboosting - 30FE

Hi all - so I've been having this overboost issue for awhile now and cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it. It only pops up during very spirited driving (think race track) with repeated wot and heavy braking. After 5 minutes of this sort of driving, 30FE and 3100 pop up on my code reader. Power loss, etc etc... If I immediately turn the car off and on, it will run normally, but as soon as I give it wot, the code pops up again. However, if I turn the car off and give it time to cool down (5-10 minutes of inactivity) and then start her up and start driving on the track, it takes longer for the code to pop up. This leads me to believe it is a heat issue. I'm wondering if my wastegates are sticking shut and not dumping boost? And therefore I need new turbos?

I managed to take a log of it when it happened mid run. Hoping someone who can read this data can shed some light. Thanks all. It's datalog26 which is the run that had the error occur. 25 and 24 were ok.

http://datazap.me/u/sharkatron/log-1...2&data=7-12-20

Nearly forgot too - car is running a tune, I've recently changed all the vacuum lines, got forge dvs, ER chargepipe, IC, dps.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

JB4? Are you running backend flash?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012 View Post
JB4? Are you running backend flash?
Cobb tune - protuned. btw, the code still pops up after returning to stock mode and clearing codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
Odan.be
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 3351

check boost solenoids and / or waste gate operation
Generally overboost is to much pressure in the charge side due to waste gates not operating correctly ( ie not opening to vent exhaust fume )
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odan.be View Post
check boost solenoids and / or waste gate operation
Generally overboost is to much pressure in the charge side due to waste gates not operating correctly ( ie not opening to vent exhaust fume )
Thanks for the tips.

Re solenoids - they have been swapped out with known working ones - codes still come up.

Re wastegates - they are moving freely - this has been tested when car is cold. Haven't been game enough to test it when it is hot - not into getting any burns! Even if I were able to test it when it is hot, it would probably work - the time it takes to turn off the car, pop the hood, and get things ready to check for wastegate operation is enough time for the car to cool. As mentioned if the car is stopped for a little, it can perform for a bit until it gets really hot again and then the code triggers.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

You might need wg arm calibration .. should close at -6 or -10mmHG can't remember pls confirm this its been a while there's a DIY on n54tech by 'Vroom'
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

I get this too on the track and have replaced all the same parts as you. I'll check out the calibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Is it the 30FF Vacuum WG Check & Boost Leak Test?

It's going to be a pain to get to the turbos as I am RHD. Might just be worth it to get new turbos. Was hoping to be something other than a turbo fault. Furthermore, I believe the testing done by Vroom was to check for boostleak?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

bump!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Bump! Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:12 AM   #11
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Had this exact issue, wss my heavy wastegate spring going above target and DME sees this as over boost. M3 and Terry tried multiple flashes, we ended up just disabling the 30FE & 3100 code via flash
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #12
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Had this exact issue, wss my heavy wastegate spring going above target and DME sees this as over boost. M3 and Terry tried multiple flashes, we ended up just disabling the 30FE & 3100 code via flash
So what I'm gathering is that it is a hardware issue? As in, if I get a set of new turbos (might as well get upgraded ones) it should resolve?

Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
So what I'm gathering is that it is a hardware issue? As in, if I get a set of new turbos (might as well get upgraded ones) it should resolve?

Thanks for the reply!
This was the issue with my car (I have a single with 18 psi spring) at lower constant throttle. I logged it many times, in the end we just disabled the 30FE & 3100 via flash. Yoyur 3100 code is a result of the 30FE

"It's a DME BT vs ECU PSI thing. The WG spring forces boost to 15psi, but the factory boost target at that pedal position and RPM is only 12psi. So it's "over target" thus the 30FE. The fix is to adjust the flash so it never targets less than 15psi."
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #14
fjm9898
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I hate to bump this old thread but this is LITERALLY the same exact problem as mine. I see a lot of posts about 30FE on the internet but none of them have the same symptoms as mine and this post. My car too can be driven hard for the first 5min and after that i continuously get the over boost and limp mode. I have replaced the turbos, the boost solenoids, all the vac lines. van checked the new solenoids and the entire vac system without a problem. i also have MHD logs showing boost is actually slowly declining as it settles in and then the over boost code is tripped. so its not boost pressure it has to be something else and i am running out of ideas. only ideas i have left are the DME itself and swapping out the map sensors again (swapped them out diagnosing a HPFP issue that has been resolved)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #15
titan.n54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898 View Post
I hate to bump this old thread but this is LITERALLY the same exact problem as mine. I see a lot of posts about 30FE on the internet but none of them have the same symptoms as mine and this post. My car too can be driven hard for the first 5min and after that i continuously get the over boost and limp mode. I have replaced the turbos, the boost solenoids, all the vac lines. van checked the new solenoids and the entire vac system without a problem. i also have MHD logs showing boost is actually slowly declining as it settles in and then the over boost code is tripped. so its not boost pressure it has to be something else and i am running out of ideas. only ideas i have left are the DME itself and swapping out the map sensors again (swapped them out diagnosing a HPFP issue that has been resolved)

Upload your log in datazap to get a view
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #16
bernardo774
Rep
Drives: E93 335 and F30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898 View Post
have you find the problem?

i have the same.

in track, after some WOT pulls, the car overshoot.
With target 18psi, i have no problems...but in log i can see wgdc decreses after some pulls, i think the car start to overshoot but the PID can work with that.

But wiht target 14psi, the first 4-5 pulls no throtle clusures, wgdc works fine.
After, the throtle start to close because the car start do overboost. PID cant control, the tbi closes to 20% and then pull the Overboost Error end limp mode.

install new solenoids, new vacum lines from canister to solenoids.
i didnt chance the vacul fron solenoid to wastgate, i will chance.
Appreciate 0