E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Post Your SULEV Warranty Success Stories

11-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #221
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Anyone have any success getting a new tq converter thru the warranty? Mine has a shudder around 20mph and I already tried the dr.tranny shudder fix which made it a little better but didn’t resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #222
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

I will be taking my 2011 328xi to the dealer for a broken large DISA valve. I am hoping that the small one fails the test and they replace both under the sulev warranty. I went to the service dept to make sure they knew about the warranty prior to scheduling repair. They can't get me in until The week of the 28th or in Dec.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #223
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams161 View Post
I will be taking my 2011 328xi to the dealer for a broken large DISA valve. I am hoping that the small one fails the test and they replace both under the sulev warranty. I went to the service dept to make sure they knew about the warranty prior to scheduling repair. They can't get me in until The week of the 28th or in Dec.
Can you remind me of the symptoms for this failure?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #224
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just bought the car last week so I knew nothing about the DISA valves or what they did. I am servicing the car, doing OFHG and removed the intake to install new seals. when I did it sounded like I had a golf ball rolling around inside. The large plastic flap broke loose and was rattling around. I guess rattle noise, low power and maybe a code. I am incredibly lucky that the metal pin did not come out and destroy a valve and my cam
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 12:21 AM   #225
msboatchief
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i convertible

Sulev success

2009 328 i originally purchased and registered in CA had radiator sensor and small leak in evap system.CEL on. Vehicle is now registered in OR.
Local service manager was,helpful, but stymied by warranty portal ,which has 'registered in /sold in 'section. When OR / CA is entered, portal shows no warranty available. When CA /CA is entered, Sulev Warranty applies.
After a couple of days, service manager calls to say BMW is aware of this problem ,and are working on a fix for the portal. The warranty group says until the portal is repaired, for service manager to put CA/CA in this section, which will show warranty coverage as valid, and BMW will pay. Goes for all pre 2011 SULEV sold in SULEV states.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #226
Sharj10
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i coupe

Anyone know if rebuilt car still covered under SULEV? I read the warranty and other than indicating year, mileage and where it's registered and it sold I didn't see anything else that indicates title of car voiding the warranty.

2012 e92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #227
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well left the 328i at the stealership today for a new oxygen sensor and DISA valve..hopefully no games and the work gets properly done.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #228
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharj10 View Post
Anyone know if rebuilt car still covered under SULEV? I read the warranty and other than indicating year, mileage and where it's registered and it sold I didn't see anything else that indicates title of car voiding the warranty.

2012 e92 328xi
all you can do is bring it in and try...worst case is they deny the work if they catch that it was salvaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:26 PM   #229
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Let the Battle begin.. Gault BMW in NY telling me 1st that the DISA valves are not covered because I worked on my 2011 car myself.. lol...
Then changes story to well there is no stored code for a disa valve so it's not covered.. even though the large valve flap is sitting broken in the front seat. I asked to speak to the service manager and want their documentation that states an error code MUST be there in order for the part to be covered. Service rep said he would consult further with manager.
My owners manual warranty section, which was probably written by a lawyer, clearly states the emissions part is cover for defects in materials and workmanship. A part that has both electrical and mechanical parts is covered. There's not much to interpret.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:06 PM   #230
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Let the Battle begin.. Gault BMW in NY telling me 1st that the DISA valves are not covered because I worked on my 2011 car myself.. lol...
Then changes story to well there is no stored code for a disa valve so it's not covered.. even though the large valve flap is sitting broken in the front seat. I asked to speak to the service manager and want their documentation that states an error code MUST be there in order for the part to be covered. Service rep said he would consult further with manager.
My owners manual warranty section, which was probably written by a lawyer, clearly states the emissions part is cover for defects in materials and workmanship. A part that has both electrical and mechanical parts is covered. There's not much to interpret.
My dealership replaced my eccentric shaft sensor without any codes because there was oil in the connector. So they definitely can replace parts without codes, but I'm sure it just depends on the dealership. Good luck with it! I just replaced my large DISA myself because unfortunately I didn't think to check it until 151k miles.
Appreciate 1
jadams161170.50
      12-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #231
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So after a few days of back and forth Gault BMW says that without failing a smog test they cannot replace the broken DISA valve. Also stated that because I removed the broken flap from my intake and "disassembled" the valve it would not be covered. I can't wait to complete my Google reviews of their lies. So I contacted CARB and they will open a federal investigation into the dealer violating the terms of a SULEV warranty. I doubt it will go anywhere so I ordered a new valve made by Febi Bilstein. Seven days they've had my car to do an alignment and replace one oxygen sensor. Horrible service. Fist time and last time customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #232
Plat
Rep
Drives: 2010 328I M-sport

Thanks to this thread and many others I was successful.

Hey all. Wanted to contribute to this thread since it was instrumental in my own SULEV warranty fulfillment success. Not without hurdles, however. It took me a few days to see why the stipulations changed between stories. There is a bit of language that I feel was touched in this thread (and several others across the internet) that I had to decipher but for those who come after or just want a succinct summary:

Three things ultimately matter:
• Model year of the vehicle
• Current state where the vehicle is registered
• Original state where the vehicle was retailed (only for vehicles prior to 2011 model year)

Meaning that:
N51s from model year 2010 and DOWN - If your car was sold, leased, and/or registered originally in a CARB state you are covered nationwide.

N51s for model year 2011 and UP - If your car is currently registered in a CARB state observing state you are covered.

With that in mind, it is important that what works for one person's model year may not apply to yours so it's always good to know what year their car is to apply the other warranty stipulations.

There may be a few exceptions and specific stipulations laid out in the booklet for specific states and how the coverage applies, but largely this check out (see PDF attached).
==========================
TLDR for below:
a) Diagnosis: Leaking valve cover. Leaking oil filter housing.

b) Total cost of repair: Dealer cost would have been $2297.63 for the valve cover, $941.82 for oil filter. ($3239.45 total) Indy quote was $1411.76 for Valve cover and $598.87 for fuel filter ($2047.87 total). If I do not do it myself I will pay my indy to handle the oil filter.

c) If SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed: SULEV covered valve cover repairs, not oil filter.

d) If your dealer gave you a hard time: SA1 had to ask warranty admin who was on vacation. When they returned back from vacation I still received no notification. Spoke to a second SA who initially gave me static saying "it would have shown in system". I told them if that was the case SA1 wouldn't have needed to contact warranty admin. SA2 contacted the warranty admin and got the correct information (which I already knew from going over the documents).

e) If BMW NA had to be involved: They did not.

That said, my 2010 N51 is being serviced now for the Valve Cover Gasket. The Valve Cover Gasket and Oil Filter Housing Gasket were both found to be leaking oil. My SA(s) were not immediately familiar with the stipulations of the SULEV warranty so had to contact their Warranty Administrator. I had a bunch of back and forth and promises to call me back until I switched SAs. The second SA challenged me by saying that "If my car qualified for a warranty that the system would have shown it". To which I replied, "if that were the case then the previous SA who helped me would not have needed to contact the Warranty Administrator to confirm...only to have never gotten back to me". The second SA did sound dismissive of my claims but to their credit did their due diligence and contacted the Warranty Admin in short order.

So this second SA followed up with the Warranty Admin and called me back confirming my eligibility and scheduled me for work on the Valve Cover. They apologized and, evidently, were told by the Warranty Admin to do their research better.

In my case, my car is a 2010, in Maryland, and was originally registered & sold in California. My feeling is that because my SAs were not originally familiar with the warranty's ins-and-outs, they stuck pretty close to the list of things explicitly named by the SULEV warranty. This was at BMW of Silver Spring aka Tischer(formerly?) BMW for those of you familiar with purchasing parts/sponsorships from them. I partly counted on them being a bit more familiar with this kind of thing (as in more enthusiasts in the area being more likely to go here) but it does kinda come down to your SA, ultimately. BMW of SS also probably provides the best customer service in my area, which is not saying much given my last few visits there and the low low bar that Rockville set (to give a heads up for those in the DMV area).

Yes, I realize some folks have had the oil filter housing/gasket done under SULEV but I would say that is atypical/the dealer fudging the list to make that so. That or, perhaps, other model years have some additional items not covered by other years. One can check their service manual for their model year if need be, otherwise, here is a pretty comprehensive look at the verbiage (PDF page 7 or SULEV coverage page 6 ) and covered items (because reposting this PDF for future folks is never a bad thing so it does not become lost to time):

I hope this information helps someone down the line as the number of necro'd threads did for me.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SULEV_PZEV_Emissions_Coverage.pdf (655.6 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Plat; 12-30-2022 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Clearer and answering the threads questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:24 PM   #233
128IMsport-Stella
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128I Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plat View Post
Hey all. Wanted to contribute to this thread since it was instrumental in my own SULEV warranty fulfillment success. Not without hurdles, however. It took me a few days to see why the stipulations changed between stories. There is a bit of language that I feel was touched in this thread (and several others across the internet) that I had to decipher but for those who come after or just want a succinct summary:

Three things ultimately matter:
• Model year of the vehicle
• Current state where the vehicle is registered
• Original state where the vehicle was retailed (only for vehicles prior to 2011 model year)

Meaning that:
N51s from model year 2010 and DOWN - If your car was sold, leased, and/or registered originally in a CARB state you are covered nationwide.

N51s for model year 2011 and UP - If your car is currently registered in a CARB state observing state you are covered.

With that in mind, it is important that what works for one person's model year may not apply to yours so it's always good to know what year their car is to apply the other warranty stipulations.

There may be a few exceptions and specific stipulations laid out in the booklet for specific states and how the coverage applies, but largely this check out (see PDF attached).
TLDR for below:
a) Diagnosis: Leaking valve cover. Leaking oil filter housing.

b) Total cost of repair: Dealer cost would have been $2297.63 for the valve cover, $941.82 for oil filter. ($3239.45 total) Indy quote was $1411.76 for Valve cover and $598.87 for fuel filter ($2047.87 total). If I do not do it myself I will pay my indy to handle the oil filter.

c) If SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed: SULEV covered valve cover repairs, not oil filter.

d) If your dealer gave you a hard time: SA1 had to ask warranty admin who was on vacation. When they returned back from vacation I still received no notification. Spoke to a second SA who initially gave me static saying "it would have shown in system". I told them if that was the case SA1 wouldn't have needed to contact warranty admin. SA2 contacted the warranty admin and got the correct information (which I already knew from going over the documents).

e) If BMW NA had to be involved: They did not.

That said, my 2010 N51 is being serviced now for the Valve Cover Gasket. The Valve Cover Gasket and Oil Filter Housing Gasket were both found to be leaking oil. My SA(s) were not immediately familiar with the stipulations of the SULEV warranty so had to contact their Warranty Administrator. I had a bunch of back and forth and promises to call me back until I switched SAs. The second SA challenged me by saying that "If my car qualified for a warranty that the system would have shown it". To which I replied, "if that were the case then the previous SA who helped me would not have needed to contact the Warranty Administrator to confirm...only to have never gotten back to me". The second SA did sound dismissive of my claims but to their credit did their due diligence and contacted the Warranty Admin in short order.

So this second SA followed up with the Warranty Admin and called me back confirming my eligibility and scheduled me for work on the Valve Cover. They apologized and, evidently, were told by the Warranty Admin to do their research better.

In my case, my car is a 2010, in Maryland, and was originally registered & sold in California. My feeling is that because my SAs were not originally familiar with the warranty's ins-and-outs, they stuck pretty close to the list of things explicitly named by the SULEV warranty. This was at BMW of Silver Spring aka Tischer(formerly?) BMW for those of you familiar with purchasing parts/sponsorships from them. I partly counted on them being a bit more familiar with this kind of thing (as in more enthusiasts in the area being more likely to go here) but it does kinda come down to your SA, ultimately. BMW of SS also probably provides the best customer service in my area, which is not saying much given my last few visits there and the low low bar that Rockville set (to give a heads up for those in the DMV area).

Yes, I realize some folks have had the oil filter housing/gasket done under SULEV but I would say that is atypical/the dealer fudging the list to make that so. That or, perhaps, other model years have some additional items not covered by other years. One can check their service manual for their model year if need be, otherwise, here is a pretty comprehensive look at the verbiage (PDF page 7 or SULEV coverage page 6 ) and covered items (because reposting this PDF for future folks is never a bad thing so it does not become lost to time):

I hope this information helps someone down the line as the number of necro'd threads did for me.

Question
I have a 2011 bmw 128i
(Built in 8/2010)

It was originally registered and sold in NJ (N51 Engine)

I now am in Florida
So the warranty would not apply to me?

Appreciate all the help

Thank you
Wonder if anyone has had any luck with any Florida shops on the forum
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:28 AM   #234
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128IMsport-Stella View Post
Question
I have a 2011 bmw 128i
(Built in 8/2010)

It was originally registered and sold in NJ (N51 Engine)

I now am in Florida
So the warranty would not apply to me?

Appreciate all the help

Thank you
Wonder if anyone has had any luck with any Florida shops on the forum
2011 model year for the E90 requires that the car is currently registered in a SULEV state (FL is not). If you are located in Florida, but the car is registered in a SULEV state, it would be eligible, though you’d probably need to escalate this because the dealers there wouldn’t be familiar. If your car is registered in FL, it’s not covered.

This may differ for the 1 series vs the 3 series, but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #235
Plat
Rep
Drives: 2010 328I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
2011 model year for the E90 requires that the car is currently registered in a SULEV state (FL is not). If you are located in Florida, but the car is registered in a SULEV state, it would be eligible, though you’d probably need to escalate this because the dealers there wouldn’t be familiar. If your car is registered in FL, it’s not covered.

This may differ for the 1 series vs the 3 series, but I doubt it.
Exactly what Boston says here is my understanding of it, 128IMsport-Stella.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 05:00 PM   #236
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

2009 E90
99,500mi
Originally purchased at CA and currently registered in WA (not full carb State)

Bellevue BMW in WA replaced the following under SULEV (15yr/150k) warranty and no charge:

Valve cover gasket (all gaskets on valve cover) only. Cover was not replaced.
Both oxygen sensor (had codes for this).
PCV valve (recall)

Made an appointment as SULEV warranty work online through this dealer. There was no diagnostic fee. SA when I brought it in included the open recall, checked with Warranty Admin and was all good to go. Loaner was included at this dealer. Very cool.

Last edited by bkwld; 02-15-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
NZE90271.00
      02-20-2023, 10:22 AM   #237
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Well left the 328i at the stealership today for a new oxygen sensor and DISA valve..hopefully no games and the work gets properly done.
My 128i has an intermittent problem with one oxygen sensor. The SES light goes on for a few days, but goes out before I can get an appointment at the dealer.
      02-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #238
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still has a stored code.. if it's a SULEV and under warranty they are required to change it out. But they tend to make up their own rules.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 06:21 AM   #239
Nrnva
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
2009 E90
99,500mi
Originally purchased at CA and currently registered in WA (not full carb State)

Bellevue BMW in WA replaced the following under SULEV (15yr/150k) warranty and no charge:

Valve cover gasket (all gaskets on valve cover) only. Cover was not replaced.
Both oxygen sensor (had codes for this).
PCV valve (recall)

Made an appointment as SULEV warranty work online through this dealer. There was no diagnostic fee. SA when I brought it in included the open recall, checked with Warranty Admin and was all good to go. Loaner was included at this dealer. Very cool.
I'm in the exact same boat. 2009 328i bought in CA. Moved up to Seattle, WA a few years ago. VCG is leaking, no other codes.

Can you give me the service advisor's name you talked to at BMW Bellevue? I'm hoping to talk to the same SA who knows about SULEV warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #240
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrnva View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. 2009 328i bought in CA. Moved up to Seattle, WA a few years ago. VCG is leaking, no other codes.

Can you give me the service advisor's name you talked to at BMW Bellevue? I'm hoping to talk to the same SA who knows about SULEV warranty.
I DM you.
Bellevue BMW is generally very nice and seem to be knowlegeble on SULEV. Always excellent service from my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #241
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Just brought my 2009 328i for PVC Valve Heater Recall and fix a long time valve cover leaking at BMW Fremont. No check engine light. Just occasional burnt oil smell in the cabin.

a) issue diagnosed
Valve cover leaking.
b) total cost of repair
Probably over $4k. Zero cost to me.
c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed
SULEV warranty covered.
d) if your dealer gave you a hard time
No, the dealer service agent accepted it without issues.
e) if BMW NA had to be involved
No.

After the technician removed the valve cover, it was discovered the inner of the cover was damaged and Eccentric Shaft Sensor was covered in oil. Replaced the valve cover and Eccentric Shaft Sensor. It says additional cost is $2285.20, so the total cost could be over $4k.

Last edited by mckwong; 03-24-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #242
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
Just brought my 2009 328i for PVC Valve Heater Recall and fix a long time valve cover leaking at BMW Fremont. No check engine light. Just occasional burnt oil smell in the cabin.

a) issue diagnosed
Valve cover leaking.
b) total cost of repair
Probably over $4k. Zero cost to me.
c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed
SULEV warranty covered.
d) if your dealer gave you a hard time
No, the dealer service agent accepted it without issues.
e) if BMW NA had to be involved
No.

After the technician removed the valve cover, it was discovered the inner of the cover was damaged and Eccentric Shaft Sensor was covered in oil. Replaced the valve cover and Eccentric Shaft Sensor. It says additional cost is $2285.20, so the total cost could be over $4k.
Nice, another great success story!
Appreciate 0