E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ebay Aluminum Valve Cover?

11-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
turbosnow
Rep
Drives: '08 335i 'vert

Ebay Aluminum Valve Cover?

Hi All, I have an N54, therefore I need a new valve cover gasket, since it's one of the few items that wasn't addressed by the previous owner. I'm thinking of trying one of these ebay aluminum valve covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18562649857...Bk9SR_6zkIKYYQ

Has anoyone tried one of these? Spending similar money on a plastic VC seems nuts, I would run the OEM gasket with this, but I really like the idea of having a metal cover. Am I insane?
Please let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosnow View Post
Hi All, I have an N54, therefore I need a new valve cover gasket, since it's one of the few items that wasn't addressed by the previous owner. I'm thinking of trying one of these ebay aluminum valve covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18562649857...Bk9SR_6zkIKYYQ

Has anoyone tried one of these? Spending similar money on a plastic VC seems nuts, I would run the OEM gasket with this, but I really like the idea of having a metal cover. Am I insane?

Chinese garbage.. Don't buy parts on EBay unless you plan on continuing to replace them.. especially parts like this.
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
e92_bron
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

FWIW,

Its a piece of aluminum and theres no moving parts in it. Even brand name aluminum covers has had their fair share of defects. If you're buying this for budget reasons and you're using an OEM gasket anyway then its really no different than buying an aftermarket plastic OEM cover. If its for the sake of having an OEM style cover made out of aluminum and you have the means to spend extra money on one from a reputable source, I believe coloradon5x sells one. Chances are, theyre the same cover as you linked with their logo engraved on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
turbosnow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bron View Post
FWIW,

Its a piece of aluminum and theres no moving parts in it. Even brand name aluminum covers has had their fair share of defects. If you're buying this for budget reasons and you're using an OEM gasket anyway then its really no different than buying an aftermarket plastic OEM cover. If its for the sake of having an OEM style cover made out of aluminum and you have the means to spend extra money on one from a reputable source, I believe coloradon5x sells one. Chances are, theyre the same cover as you linked with their logo engraved on it.
This was my line of thinking, there are some "reputable" companies that sell aluminum valve covers, but they are about double the price. The plastic VCs basically have to be replaced every time you put in a new gasket, and they tend to crack, which seems to be a good reason to use a metal part, but spending $700 or more on a valve cover seems nuts to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
While that would be tempting, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. If it deleted the OE PCV system i'd probably be a bit more likely to trust it but no way they got that system right and for that cheap.
      11-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I know people are tired of these cracking, but a metal valve cover is going to soak heat, which is why the BMW engineers (and may other OEMs) have moved towards plastics.

I'd stick with OE.

dR
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #7
e92_bron
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
This was my line of thinking, there are some "reputable" companies that sell aluminum valve covers, but they are about double the price. The plastic VCs basically have to be replaced every time you put in a new gasket, and they tend to crack, which seems to be a good reason to use a metal part, but spending $700 or more on a valve cover seems nuts to me.
Aluminum can eventually crack too its not by any means bullet proof. Assuming you're working within a budget and also not plugging your head ports or going down the PCV rabbit-hole, your safest bet is a OEM valve cover with an OEM gasket.

Whether or not the $200~ is worth rolling the dice on an aftermarket cover is a question better answered on your own. It would be a good time to check/upgrade/replace your PCV and flapper valve while you're there. To take it one step further, you can do a walnut blast on the intake valves. Be extremely careful tightening down an upgraded PCV valve, especially on a plastic cover, that is how I cracked my OE cover.

It really depends on what your goals for the car is as well as your budget.

Last edited by e92_bron; 11-30-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
nictobin
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185626498574?hash=item2b3833960e:g:4gMAAOSwHr1jHEf i&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsA%2FeZEHTwkcm291RLgg1o3pIN lMcTenXA6RP65lQwHpBnDHyxq3GbDMVJ%2FGXlVc2a8bUwj7tx qvZfSSezt4TDk%2Fs9TJXgSOCgYpBut6QeCirg63kefaA1BeC8 xw5ZW1KaHZNcZpjQZWsMHVR05WA1Sc5Kn4RCqKlMR167BHbg2C wMTGa0zLKLHkO6SJLG6cGPw6tFw%2F02nmNArhRwoZbZfgE3Gn PIQFtO0WPwBuNF6KA%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_6zkIKYYQ

i would not recommend buying and major parts on ebay. the furthest i'd go is cosmetics like LED interior lights or a grill or something along the lines of that. if the car NEEDS it you NEED to not buy it on ebay. spend good money on it or you'll have to keep replacing it
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:20 PM   #9
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
My plastic OEM VC lasted about 130k miles before it cracked, they are pretty reliable.

The problem with Metal ones is wether they leak, even if they don't necessarily crack.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
turbosnow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bron View Post
Aluminum will eventually crack too its not by any means bullet proof. Assuming you're working within a budget and also not plugging your head ports or going down the PCV rabbit-hole, your safest bet is a OEM valve cover with an OEM gasket.

Whether or not the $200~ is worth rolling the dice on an aftermarket cover is a question better answered on your own. It would be a good time to check/upgrade/replace your PCV and flapper valve while you're there. To take it one step further, you can do a walnut blast on the intake valves. Be extremely careful tightening down an upgraded PCV valve, especially on a plastic cover, that is how I cracked my OE cover.

It really depends on what your goals for the car is as well as your budget.
This is very helpful and thoughtful information, much appreciated, thank you!
I was thinking of doing an intake valve cleaning at the same time, since much of the stuff is out of the way and the PCV is a must, hadn’t thought of the flapper tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
turbosnow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
My plastic OEM VC lasted about 130k miles before it cracked, they are pretty reliable.

The problem with Metal ones is wether they leak, even if they don't necessarily crack.
My car has 120k on the original VC and I’m assuming the gasket too, thus my desire to replace. Looks like the consensus is for a plastic but high quality VC with the OEM gasket.
Appreciate 0