E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "take a look at my log" thread

03-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #3697
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimerfest3 View Post
i dint know what is the problem causing too much corrections. tune maybe?
and what about afr on bank 1. thank you very much
Its low octane (what octane are you running) and tune...more than likely lean spool is ON all the way to 3000rpm.
      03-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #3698
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
i dint know what is the problem causing too much corrections. tune maybe?
and what about afr on bank 1. thank you very much
I wouldn't be worried about bank 1 afr not reaching 234 by 1/10th of a second compared to bank 2 afr.

As for your STFT's the delta is a bit big, maybe try resetting lambda adaptations and see if it helps
      04-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #3699
strmix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335ia

https://datazap.me/u/strmix/walbro-4...3-4-9-11-20-24

RFP 1.5 E40 map, ic, walbro 450.

I feel like my lpfp reading are fluctuating alot.
Also only on cyl 6 there is -6 dec timing drop after shift to 4th gear.

Is it ok?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #3700
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

2nd to 3rd gear pull, I have Wastegate rattle and I'm assuming that's why I'm not hitting target boost. I go into limo mode if I do a pull from 4 gear at low rpm .. just wondering if everything else looks ok .

https://datazap.me/u/tadlad/boost-le...17&mark=92

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #3701
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmix View Post
https://datazap.me/u/strmix/walbro-4...3-4-9-11-20-24

RFP 1.5 E40 map, ic, walbro 450.

I feel like my lpfp reading are fluctuating alot.
Also only on cyl 6 there is -6 dec timing drop after shift to 4th gear.

Is it ok?
Actually it looks pretty good.

Yes, you got a little spike where the pump drops below 50 but it doesnt stay there. I wouldnt worry about that.

I didnt see any cyl6 retards.. only 5. And that was right after the shift. not much you can do about that. Since #5 is in the middle it will run a bit hotter. If thats the only cyl it pulls on you're golden.

I would say it might could use a little more fuel. the only bizarre thing I see is a little throtle closure at 4500 or so right but you were not over load target.

https://datazap.me/u/strmix/walbro-4...-28&zoom=61-78

I would make another log and see if it does it again.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8

Last edited by 335e92tx; 04-04-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #3702
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadlad08 View Post
2nd to 3rd gear pull, I have Wastegate rattle and I'm assuming that's why I'm not hitting target boost. I go into limp mode if I do a pull from 4 gear at low rpm .. just wondering if everything else looks ok .

https://datazap.me/u/tadlad/boost-le...a=3-17&mark=92

Thanks
So what is the code? Boost below target? I think you got some coupler issue. Its a full 2 psi below target at times. What type if IC connectors you got?

Wastegate DCs look ok so it should be making 13 psi easy. Start with chcking all connections on the IC.

Oh and you arent' logging timing retards at all.. make sure you add that for cyls 1-6

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8

Last edited by 335e92tx; 04-04-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:30 AM   #3703
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

was able to get a 2nd to 4th gear log today. Other then the boost spike after shift causing TC's and a few timing corrections hows it look?
https://datazap.me/u/curt/90-2-e30-4...&data=3-4-5-22
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #3704
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadlad08 View Post
2nd to 3rd gear pull, I have Wastegate rattle and I'm assuming that's why I'm not hitting target boost. I go into limp mode if I do a pull from 4 gear at low rpm .. just wondering if everything else looks ok .

https://datazap.me/u/tadlad/boost-le...17&mark=92

Thanks
So what is the code? Boost below target? I think you got some coupler issue. Its a full 2 psi below target at times. What type if IC connectors you got?

Wastegate DCs look ok so it should be making 13 psi easy. Start with chcking all connections on the IC.

Oh and you arent' logging timing retards at all.. make sure you add that for cyls 1-6
Vrsf 5" intercooler connectors should be solid, as I recently changed the intercooler about three weeks ago. Was having these issues before. Now I believe I've been having this problem since I changed my charge pipe but that was at least 7 months ago and I did it over again.. I'll recheck and also change my vaccine lines.. thanks for the inputs..

Edit code I get at random times are boost pressure to low I think 30ff
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:09 AM   #3705
NRainbolt
Rep

Low Boost, High Squeal, No codes

Hey guys. 2010 335xi FBO with ~110k miles is having some boost issues. Here lately according to the fuel gauge(jb4 mod) and app display/couple times looking at the logs, my cars not been hitting boost levels but not seeing any other issues. Currently running jb4 map 5, MHD BEF, stock turbos with all the FBO mods. I got a wild hair to trouble shoot the low boost and decided to replace my PCV with a RB PCV, new OEM flapper(vent hose) and added a BMS OCC at the same time. While I was in there I replaced my spark plugs with NGK one step colder as I've been using, did an oil change, cleaned and re-oiled my BMS DCI's and installed a BMS oil filter cap. After putting everything back together and taking it for a test drive, I'm now getting the horrible high pitched pig squeal, and I'm still not hitting target boost even after 9 runs this morning. For some reason all this mornings logs combined and its just a mess on the graph so I just attached the numerical data log. From left to right column that I highlighted is target, pre-boost, and pedal response. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
As stated in the title, no codes are popping up except the normal ones from my rear lambda sensors miraculously disappearing. 😧😀
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #3706
Warishuku
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 08 Nissan 350Z 03

Fuel Rail Pressure Issues.

Hello guys good day.

I've been chasing an ignition issue in my 335i '08, and now I'm in a point that I need your help in order to determine if the problem is HW or SW related.

A little background info:
-I bought this car last february 28th, completely bone stock, 110k km (almost 69k miles).
-The car had an slight frontal impact, but no mechanical damages, only headlight damage and the left headlight arm support broke. It is already fixed.
-The car has a rough cold start issue, it hesitate for about 15-30 seconds and the rpms goes up and down between 900-200 rpms. Sometimes it doesn't make it and dies. After this rough start, the cart idles normally.
-Checked with INPA and had several codes, basically VANOS solenoids being mechanically stuck and 2 codes for O2 sensors heaters not being activated (Bank 2 pre-cat and bank 1 post-cat)
-After detecting this issues I changed the oil and oil filter, changed O2 sensors with the faulty codes, bought new spark plugs (Autolite ones recommended in one of this forum topics, the ones that are 1.5 colder), new Delphi coils, put 3" VRSF DPs, changed both vacuum solenoids, changed vacuum lines, changed FMIC to a 7.5" VRSF racing one, changed charge pipe for a metal one, put DCI, the car is basically FBO and is waiting a fix in order to be tuned with MHD.
-After all this changes, the car behaves the same, only the VANOS solenoids codes were fixed because I cleaned them, the O2 sensor ones still appeared, so the problem was either in the harness of the O2 sensors or the DME itself.
-Sometimes I used to get a lean code in bank 1.
-Yesterday I bought the MHD monitor add-on because my INPA has some errors and it doesn't let me monitor in real time. Looking at the data (AFR, STFT, LTFT, fuel rail pressure, low side fuel pressure) I discovered that basically bank 2 was in open loop because AFT was stuck in 14.68 and both fuel trims stuck at zero. Bank 1 behaved ok.
-So aftFer this I checked the DME and found out that in the connector X60002 had the #13 pin bent (Bank 2 pre-cat heater) and it also bent #26 pin (Bank 1 post-cat heater), so that was the culprit of my O2 codes, after fixing the pins, both codes disappeared and now both banks are in closed loop.
-After this fix, the car still cold starts bad, but now I'm getting high pressure fuel codes and the car is getting in limp mode almost instantly.

Ok after all the mess written above, I want to go with the actual situation and I would like to have some feedback of you guys:

-Looking at MHD monitor, when I start the car I discovered that the fuel rail is not getting more than 80 PSI, when it is supposed to have like 700 PSI at idle, after several seconds idling the car gets in limp mode (half engine alert, engine fans at 100%, etc) because of low fuel rail pressure (Code 29F2, some times I get 2FBE and 29DC, and I have shadow codes 2FCA and 2FDA).
-When it gets in limp mode, I noticed that basically the HPFP gets skipped by the DME because both low pressure sensor and fuel rail pressure sensors reads exactly the same 82+-.02 PSI at idle.
-OK THE WEIRD THING IS: if I reset all the adaptions, the car gets in open loop for a good period of time, and the fuel rail pressure gets to nominal since start of the engine (it gets up to 2000 PSI and gradually it gets back to 680-720 PSI at idle).
-I can drive the car in open loop and the pressure is normal for a good period of time, but after some time it eventually gets down to 80-100 PSI, but not exactly as the low pressure fuel sensor like in limp mode. The car does not get in limp mode when it is in open loop.
-It looks like that when the car is in open loop, the car never gets in limp mode because of low fuel pressure, and it makes me think that probably the bent pins of my DME were an intentional job in order to avoid limp mode.
-After the test ride in open loop, when the rail pressure drops to 80-100 PSI, I park the car, reset the adaptions, and the car gets again the right amount of pressure in the rail (680-720 PSI).

So, after all this mess, I'm not quite sure if the problem in the rail pressure is exactly a mechanical issue, it seems that the problem could be software related, but unfortunately I don't understand the HPFP and how it works electronically (I understand that it is a mechanical pump), so I don't know if it has an electronic module that could be bad instead of some mechanical component like a seal or valve.

So, for me the problem could be the HPFP or some SW problem because:

-Low Pressure Fuel Sensor: It seems to work right, it gets up to 72 PSI when the LPFP gets primed, and at idle it gets up to 82 PSI.
-Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor: It seems to be OK, it detects correctly when the pressure gets up in the rail (I can hear the tick noise of the injectors change when the pressure gets up in the rail), and also when the HPFP gets bypassed by the DME, it correctly reads the same pressure as the low pressure fuel sensor.
-Injectors: I don't think that these are the culprits, I have no misfires at idle or under aceleration.

Here are 2 logs that I recorded this morning:
-The first one is a cold start without a reset of the adaptions, so the car is working at closed loop. You can see that the car dies at the very beginning because of the bad idle, and after a second start the car hesitates a lot, the fuel rail pressure never gets up and eventually gets in limp mode:

Cold Start - No Adaptions Reset

-The second one is a "warm" start (more cold than hot IMO) but after a adaptions reset. You can see that it is at open loop (AFRs at 14.68, and fuel trims at zero) and look how the pressure gets up correctly. After a short driving period, the fuel rail pressure drops to 80-100 PSI, never gets in limp mode. If I start the car again, the pressure never gets up. If I reset again adaptions, the pressure gets up again in the next start.

Warm Start - Adaptions Reset

Please, any feedback or comments are very valuable. I know that the easiest way is to change the HPFP, but I don't want to be in a situation that a new HPFP doesn't fix the problem (Those are very expensive here) and because of that waste money in a problem that probably is SW related and probably free of charge to fix.

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #3707
Nick54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i xdrive manual

hey guys so I'm a complete noob when it comes to reading datalogs. I just got my MHD adapter so I decided to do a 3rd gear pull on the highway and I wanted to know if any of you spot something weird. I'm fully stock with DCIs planning to go FBO S2+ real quick with this coronavirus but I want to know if there's something else I should be taking care of before doing so.

https://datazap.me/u/n54nico/stock-d...;data=2-3-4-21

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #3708
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
hey guys so I'm a complete noob when it comes to reading datalogs. I just got my MHD adapter so I decided to do a 3rd gear pull on the highway and I wanted to know if any of you spot something weird. I'm fully stock with DCIs planning to go FBO S2+ real quick with this coronavirus but I want to know if there's something else I should be taking care of before doing so.

https://datazap.me/u/n54nico/stock-d...&data=2-3-4-21

thanks!
Have you done all your maintenance?
      04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #3709
Bimerfest3
Rep
Drives: X5 e70

Garage List
2011 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Its low octane (what octane are you running) and tune...more than likely lean spool is ON all the way to 3000rpm.
im running 91 octane, but i will change to 93 after the tank is empty.
can you see the afr on both banks is not flat what does it means?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #3710
Bimerfest3
Rep
Drives: X5 e70

Garage List
2011 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I wouldn't be worried about bank 1 afr not reaching 234 by 1/10th of a second compared to bank 2 afr.

As for your STFT's the delta is a bit big, maybe try resetting lambda adaptations and see if it helps
Hello Sir, i tried already but nothing changed. sometimes im getting CEL
(2c7b and 2c7c : o2 sensor after cat bank 1 and bank 2 Signals). can o2 sensor cause all of these issues????
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #3711
Nick54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/n54nico/stock-d...;data=2-3-4-21

thanks!
Have you done all your maintenance?
yeah did everything just missing brake fluid and coolant. but did all sparks, coils, even index 12 injectors. I was just wondering to see if there's something else that stands out. I'm also reading -9.5 vacuum(boost) at idle on a cold start but I read -11 on decelerating. is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #3712
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
yeah did everything just missing brake fluid and coolant. but did all sparks, coils, even index 12 injectors. I was just wondering to see if there's something else that stands out. I'm also reading -9.5 vacuum(boost) at idle on a cold start but I read -11 on decelerating. is that normal?
Your log looked fine, have a go at S2+ and post another log
      04-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #3713
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hello Sir, i tried already but nothing changed. sometimes im getting CEL
(2c7b and 2c7c : o2 sensor after cat bank 1 and bank 2 Signals). can o2 sensor cause all of these issues????
Yes o2 sensors are directly related to fuel trims, might be time to replace them
      04-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #3714
Nick54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your log looked fine, have a go at S2+ and post another log
I will thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:54 AM   #3715
capu
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i FBO + MHD + xHp

Hi guys, greetings from Finland!
Can someone take a look at my log? Car has FBO, mhd S2+ and xHp S3. Did the pull on 98 octane pump gas, and I think I should blend some e85 to the tank to reduce the amount of timing corrections? LPFP looks fine to me, do you think i could go to E30 map?

https://datazap.me/u/capu/ikean-suor...1&zoom=320-513
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #3716
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Sudden Timing drop for a sec. at WOT

any clues to what it might be ?

https://datazap.me/u/shanker604/sudd...og=0&data=3-21
      04-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #3717
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent11N54 View Post

Hpfp?
      04-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #3718
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent11N54 View Post

I'm chasing down a similar problem with Wedge.

Sudden timing drop at boost onset.

In your case the timing drop seems to coincide with actual boost exceeding target boost.

Once your actual boost gets under target boost, timing gets back on track.

Probably need to adjust the wastegate duty cycle down a bit at that rpm.
Appreciate 0