E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > COVID-19 and your job

04-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #859
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
She doesn't go out in scrubs. Because when my wife told me about the post, I called her to make sure she wasn't out in public in her work clothes. She said she just posted it to remind others in her group.

Mainly for Friends that like her are only in their 2nd or 3rd year of nursing....and may not think about things like that.

So its my fault for assuming and not verifying what is happening. She just put it on her feed, my wife commented about it, and since I don't do SM......it pissed me off that someone could act that way.

ah ok. misunderstood. my apologies.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7059.00

04-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #860
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
ah ok. misunderstood. my apologies.
Not necessary. I apologize for you guys risking your life and to have to face something like that if it were true.

My daughter is 24, but I'm still very protective of her. She knows the game....it just disgusts me that you guys would have to even think along those lines.

You have enough on your plate, and my thoughts go out to all the healthcare workers who have to experience what some of us have become.

People hoarding supplies that you guys desperately need, and then the thought of someone ridiculing you after you selfishly go work multiple 12+ hour shifts just to help people that would probably not do the same in return.

Dont get me wrong....there are good people out there. It's just the other people who act like this that really set me off.

I wish the best for you and hope you stay safe in all of this. We are facing times that I'm sure most of you would have never dreamed of seeing.
vreihen162054.50

04-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #861
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My dad is applying for a loan. If he uses 75% for salary (to my youngest son) he doesn't have to pay back the loan. I guess the other 25% is for Clorox wipes

jgoens this is the result of you pulling for Sharks?
Well, since the season looks to be a wash...we might be not the losers of the year.
      04-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #862
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Not necessary. I apologize for you guys risking your life and to have to face something like that if it were true.

My daughter is 24, but I'm still very protective of her. She knows the game....it just disgusts me that you guys would have to even think along those lines.

You have enough on your plate, and my thoughts go out to all the healthcare workers who have to experience what some of us have become.

People hoarding supplies that you guys desperately need, and then the thought of someone ridiculing you after you selfishly go work multiple 12+ hour shifts just to help people that would probably not do the same in return.

Dont get me wrong....there are good people out there. It's just the other people who act like this that really set me off.

I wish the best for you and hope you stay safe in all of this. We are facing times that I'm sure most of you would have never dreamed of seeing.

Man, you can say that again. I remember (from what now seems to be a lifetime ago, but in reality only 3 months ago) when I had to deal with a contact iso patient, i'd grab an n95, use it briefly, and toss it. Didn't think twice. Now, using one n95 for 12 hours is the norm. I still struggle to process this.

I do appreciate your words brother, thank you. I'm a per diem (as needed) employee and a few of my friends have asked me, why the hell are you even working? I'm fortunate to have another job that is deemed essential, so i don't *need* to work here, but i couldn't imagine cowering out and leaving my co-workers. I won't do it. If the front line workers quit, covid will win. Not acceptable. Stay safe everyone.
Appreciate 10
vreihen162054.50
Dpc2u3382.00
M_Six4127.50
Supernaut382.50
Rmtt7059.00
Now_Rudi7554.00
Nuckle865.50
wdb2102.50

04-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #863
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
So what is this fu@ked up stuff I'm hearing from my daughter.

Apparently in their FB nurse group, they have said to avoid wearing their scrubs and anything that identifies them as a medical worker out in public because they are being verbally assaulted and harassed. I know they don't wear them all the time, but on the way to work or leaving work and making a stop by a store or something.

I don't have SM......so is there any truth to this?

God forbid I see something like that happening in person if it's true!
I'm a physician and all I hear is "thank you for being there" and "be safe". It's awkward and gratifying all at once. I'm sure there a few paranoid kooks out there, but overall sentiment is overwhelmingly supportive. I think if anyone started anything in public, they'd be taken down rapidly by a crowd.

On the job end of things: I'm an outpatient doc, so work is down a LOT. I will probably owe my employer for overhead the next couple months (they are going to try to mitigate that, but I'm not holding my breath). We are starting telemedicine but it's been pretty clunky so far; most of my work is still in the office. There is still a lot of improvising and adjusting going on. All the health systems here are issuing 1 surgical mask a week which we store carefully in a paper bag - very high tech (higher risk get an N-95 per shift). If someone higher risk comes in and needs a swab, we've got limited gear (including expired N-95s and Harbor Freight face shields), but it's all there. On the plus side, the commute is wonderful.
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc3993.00
Rmtt7059.00
vreihen162054.50
wdb2102.50

04-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #864
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I started smoking weed and I think it's helping. But seriously, I can't find any. I've been doing telemedicine for two weeks now. We are not even testing anyone now. If you have severe symptoms you were directed to go to The emergency room.Otherwise stay home
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 5
Supernaut382.50
wdb2102.50
Now_Rudi7554.00
Humdizzle1245.50

04-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #865
OkieSnuffBox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
might catch some flack for this, but i think staying at home (for some people) might be a good thing.. because it only took 2.5 weeks for millions to file for unemployment. It's a little unsettling so many Americans have so little saved. We always hear about having income for x amount of months put away for an emergency. Unfortunately, not many of us plan on one. And covid exposed it. There are lessons to be learned from this.
It's there for a reason, why not use it?

When I was laid off from TWG back in 2015, I ended up with a 5 figure severance. I still applied for UI the next day.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #866
bimmer pleaser V2
Private
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I started smoking weed and I think it's helping. But seriously, I can't find any. I've been doing telemedicine for two weeks now. We are not even testing anyone now. If you have severe symptoms you were directed to go to The emergency room.Otherwise stay home
testing is beneficial if you test a bunch of people with/without symptoms and the results are available with 24 hours. This way to you identify and isolate the sick. Testing is pretty much pointless if person already has the symptoms because they have to get quarantined anyways. Plus, there is no specific drugs to treat this so testing will have no affect on determining the course of treatment.

just my opinion. I may be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #867
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
testing is beneficial if you test a bunch of people with/without symptoms and the results are available with 24 hours. This way to you identify and isolate the sick. Testing is pretty much pointless if person already has the symptoms because they have to get quarantined anyways. Plus, there is no specific drugs to treat this so testing will have no affect on determining the course of treatment.

just my opinion. I may be wrong though.
I agree with this 100%. I don't understand the only testing at risk and not people that are actually out and about. Testing should be wide spread and used to help prevent the spread, not to confirm what the really bad symptoms are.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #868
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I agree with this 100%. I don't understand the only testing at risk and not people that are actually out and about. Testing should be wide spread and used to help prevent the spread, not to confirm what the really bad symptoms are.
We should be testing everyone as you mention.

As of now there are not enough tests or supplies for said assays, because we are idiots and did nothing for 30+ days.

I think we still need to test sick people unless their CT or X-ray shows telltale COVID-19 pathology. It would be bad to hospitalize someone with influenza and put them in a room with COVID-19 patients and potentially treat them with the wrong medication.
Appreciate 2
vreihen162054.50
Supernaut382.50

04-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #869
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I don't think there have been enough tests or testing supplies available to do widespread testing for the past month.

What also seems odd to me is that I understand 80-90% of the people tested are negative in some locations where testing is being done. If we are only testing the at risk / people with more significant symptoms and a huge portion are negative, but we aren't testing asymptomatic people, we really don't know where we stand with this thing. I assume that's where modeling of some sort comes in, but modeling is only as good as the sampling and underlying data. I'm not a medical professional, so I don't really know anything about how the testing protocols were developed or how the modeling is being done so just ignore my simplistic observations.
      04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #870
bimmer pleaser V2
Private
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
We should be testing everyone as you mention.

As of now there are not enough tests or supplies for said assays, because we are idiots and did nothing for 30+ days.

I think we still need to test sick people unless their CT or X-ray shows telltale COVID-19 pathology. It would be bad to hospitalize someone with influenza and put them in a room with COVID-19 patients and potentially treat them with the wrong medication.
that's a good point. people whose symptoms are bad enough to require hospitalization should be tested. They're a small percentage though; huge majority of the infected have zero to minor symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #871
Denis S
Russia
Rep
Drives: X3

I am very “grateful” to Covid19 that it was able to get the employees of my company to work remotely from home. This is sure to come in handy in a new life.
Without this virus, we would never have completed this opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #872
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis S View Post
I am very “grateful” to Covid19 that it was able to get the employees of my company to work remotely from home. This is sure to come in handy in a new life.
Without this virus, we would never have completed this opportunity.
I suppose. I always had the option to work remotely when not constrained by needing access to lab equipment. I would give anything to be able to go into the office again and life to go back to normal.
Appreciate 1
aozer963.50

04-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #873
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i; BMW X5 35i

I'm in the airline industry. I've been "temporarily" laid off
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #874
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone seen this yet? Since I have worked from home and most clients have migrated to VOIP this is how calls always seem to go, even before COVID. Of course they are even more so now.

04-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #875
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

that is the most boomer thing i've watched today
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #876
monkeyjuice5150
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 330

Are death numbers being spiked due to Convi19 related symptoms?, but not being able to verify in time if said dead person is positive?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #877
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I don't think there have been enough tests or testing supplies available to do widespread testing for the past month.

What also seems odd to me is that I understand 80-90% of the people tested are negative in some locations where testing is being done. If we are only testing the at risk / people with more significant symptoms and a huge portion are negative, but we aren't testing asymptomatic people, we really don't know where we stand with this thing. I assume that's where modeling of some sort comes in, but modeling is only as good as the sampling and underlying data. I'm not a medical professional, so I don't really know anything about how the testing protocols were developed or how the modeling is being done so just ignore my simplistic observations.
There's a few reasons for this:
1) A lot of false negatives. 70-80% accuracy is typical, some of the new, quickly developed tests are worse. Better tests are less available, but more are coming on line.
2) Overlap with the end of cold and flu season. The symptoms overlap and COVID-19 is chameleonlike.
3) Swabbing technique. These are supposed to be nasopharyngeal swabs that are done about 3 inches inside your nose. People don't tolerate that well and
swabbers don't go that deep unless well trained.
4) Testing of contacts. If enough tests are available, contacts of COVID-19 positive people are being tested, many of whom don't have the disease.
5) Test delays. Now that testing is backed up 7-10 days in many places, samples are sitting, sometimes in environments that could degrade the sample.
I'm sure there are other reasons out there. Testing is a sh*tshow still.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM44787.50
vreihen162054.50

04-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #878
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
Are death numbers being spiked due to Convi19 related symptoms?, but not being able to verify in time if said dead person is positive?
If you die before you get tested, it won't count toward the COVID-19 totals. Also, the lag in testing (up to 10 days to get a result) means death certificates are sometimes completed before the test results come back. So, yes, deaths are being somewhat underestimated.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #879
monkeyjuice5150
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
If you die before you get tested, it won't count toward the COVID-19 totals. Also, the lag in testing (up to 10 days to get a result) means death certificates are sometimes completed before the test results come back. So, yes, deaths are being somewhat underestimated.
Per CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

Data includes presumption positive cases of COVID-19, so you can die with just pneumonia without being tested positive for Covin 19, and you are part of Covin 19 tally? Since its one of the Covin 19 like symptoms.

If So, US data is over stated vs other countries.

https://www.cdc.gov/dotw/pneumonia/index.html
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #880
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
Per CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

Data includes presumption positive cases of COVID-19, so you can die with just pneumonia without being tested positive for Covin 19, and you are part of Covin 19 tally? Since its one of the Covin 19 like symptoms.

If So, US data is over stated vs other countries.

https://www.cdc.gov/dotw/pneumonia/index.html
Well, if they did a CT or X-Ray it is apparently easy to tell severe COVID-19 from other pneumonia. SARS and SARS-CoV-2 have a characteristic look and progression. Severe SARS-CoV-2 presents in obvious ways so I doubt there will be many cases where something else is mistaken for it.

If anything, we will be underestimating deaths just like most places. If someone dies and they weren't tested, they will never be tested due to the shortage of tests. That might change once the situation gets more manageable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...a6d_story.html
Appreciate 0