E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Building the E92 328is



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #111
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
430
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

If you're going this route with the carbon accents I recommend you leave the 'lip' of the CSL trunk exposed. Gotta show off that CF

I also seen a guy who had the paint fade into the CF which was really cool
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1574.50

      04-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #112
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
If you're going this route with the carbon accents I recommend you leave the 'lip' of the CSL trunk exposed. Gotta show off that CF

I also seen a guy who had the paint fade into the CF which was really cool
I have that in mind but I’m not quite sure which way I’m going to go with the paint.

I did the hood and trunk install this weekend. Parts look great. I didn’t think I’d like them raw but it kind of growing on me!











Here’s a short walk around video of how the car looks with these parts:




Next up Carbon Roof. That’s a big install I’m planning on taking the car off the road for at least 5 days while I’m working on that one. It’s going to be the toughest mod I’ve ever done!
__________________

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-05-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #113
AlpineE93
Captain
AlpineE93's Avatar
United_States
391
Rep
765
Posts

Drives: 2008 328i cabrio
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Personally I'd paint them to match the car. BUT I gotta say I do like the lip part of the CSL trunk being exposed, looks pretty damn good
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1574.50

      04-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #114
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
430
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Ah man that looks good! The build just keeps getting better

It'd no longer be OEM+ if you did that but it looks really good, especially with the CF roof on the way. If you end up going with the full CF look, another idea is painting the outside edges of the hood so it ties in with the A pillar
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #115
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Ah man that looks good! The build just keeps getting better

It'd no longer be OEM+ if you did that but it looks really good, especially with the CF roof on the way. If you end up going with the full CF look, another idea is painting the outside edges of the hood so it ties in with the A pillar
Yeah that looks good. I saw a white M3 that has a carbon hood with a paint job like that. It’s a lot to think about, thanks for the suggestion!

__________________

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-05-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #116
PORTMOODY
Lieutenant
101
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: Coal Roller
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

I love the direction you're taking with this. How about some corbeau FX1 seats. Shed a good amount of weight.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1574.50

      04-06-2020, 01:05 AM   #117
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
Canada
309
Rep
1,301
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post








Sorry that's very tacky. Either leave it CF or paint the entire thing AW. Your car is white along with two bodyline on the hood, the color contrast is huge when you have some white some black on the hood. And the reason why porsche decal works because it matches the shape, curves and design of the car.
__________________
3IM . Okada Plasma Direct . Euro Ram Intake . AA header (Pending) . PE . 2nd Cat Delete . F30 340mm 6 pot . EBC Yellow Stuff . StopTech SS Brake Line . BMW Performance CF Strut Bar. 219M . PSS
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 04:20 AM   #118
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
I love the direction you're taking with this. How about some corbeau FX1 seats. Shed a good amount of weight.
I considered it, but I do use my back seats occasionally. Also losing the airbags on a daily driver sounds like a bad idea. Iíve been hit 3 times since October last year, luckily never an injury.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #119
PORTMOODY
Lieutenant
101
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: Coal Roller
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I considered it, but I do use my back seats occasionally. Also losing the airbags on a daily driver sounds like a bad idea. Iíve been hit 3 times since October last year, luckily never an injury.
You wouldn't loose your rear seats but your side airbags on the seat would be gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #120
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Progress made today... Carbon roof ordered! It’s always a mystery what you get with scrappers but I’ve had lots of good luck with scrap parts so far on this build. The roof from this car will be mine soon...





The way scrappers sell these roofs is they saws all the pillars about 3” down from the roof. So you get the sheet metal also and then get to separate the roof. There’s been a history of issues with M3 roof gel coats peeling hoping this one is in decent shape but I’m prepared to deal with it no matter what.
__________________
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #121
Minutes2Midnight
Private
Minutes2Midnight's Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: '08 E92 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Progress made today... Carbon roof ordered! Itís always a mystery what you get with scrappers but Iíve had lots of good luck with scrap parts so far on this build. The roof from this car will be mine soon...





The way scrappers sell these roofs is they saws all the pillars about 3Ē down from the roof. So you get the sheet metal also and then get to separate the roof. Thereís been a history of issues with M3 roof gel coats peeling hoping this one is in decent shape but Iím prepared to deal with it no matter what.
Excited to see the progress! I hear the hardest part is prying it off the old frame where it was glued down!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #122
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
958
Rep
1,735
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

Awesome build man, definitely a sweet 328 you have there. Jealous of the carbon roof going on there, it's going to be badass!
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 11:42 PM   #123
squaredphoto
Private First Class
162
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
keeping the hood CF would be killer



Appreciate 2
      04-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #124
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
54
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaredphoto View Post
keeping the hood CF would be killer





jap wheels on german cars

where did you get the cf hood and trunk from ? i was thinking that is the move next for my e90 328 lci
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #125
PORTMOODY
Lieutenant
101
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: Coal Roller
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

yeah, It would have been helpful to have the roof on the car I would think, that way you have leveraging for any prying or pulling you need to do. This is a sick build for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #126
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
jap wheels on german cars

where did you get the cf hood and trunk from ? i was thinking that is the move next for my e90 328 lci
I shopped around online looking for vendors that had the best pricing. I ordered the trunk from one vendor and the hood from another...

And then guess what, both parts shipped the same day from the same warehouse in CA. So I would say it’s a fair guess that no one actually stocks these parts and they are all drop shipped direct from Seibon. Both my parts arrived on the same day on the same freight truck. (Not UPS or FedEx, they came on a tractor trailer freight company.)

My advice is look online for the best price and just make sure the seller is legit by googling their name on some forums.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #127
tlow98
Brigadier General
1343
Rep
3,647
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Dang, that's a lot of weight shed. Awesome!

Excited to see how the roof turns out - pretty eye-opening to see the price (as in reasonable), but I guess shipping the roof might be a bit pricey huh?

Loving this build, either way. And for more unsolicited advice I like the idea of the fully painted hood and bumper but of course, leave the roof OE. This would be what BMW would have done IMO.

Last edited by tlow98; 04-08-2020 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1574.50

      04-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #128
Biginboca
Lieutenant Colonel
Biginboca's Avatar
1575
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Dang, that's a lot of weight shed. Awesome!

Excited to see how the roof turns out - pretty eye-opening to see the price (as in reasonable), but I guess shipping the roof might be a bit pricey huh?

Loving this build, either way. And for more unsolicited advice I like the idea of the fully painted hood and bumper but of course, leave the roof OE. This would be what BMW would have done IMO.
Thank you sir! I got my roof for $500 and $225 shipping, so $725 delivered. I think itís a fair price because it includes the black sharkfin and black roof rack rail covers which an OEM carbon roofed car would have instead of the white ones my car has now. Also thereís a bolted in steel structural support the carbon roof cars have that the sunroof cars donít that I would need which is included with the scrap roofs usually. That is like a $100 part from bmw.

If you buy a new one, which I doubt anyone would ever do, the going rate for just the carbon fiber panel new oem is about... $5k!

If you can do the work yourself I think ~$700 delivered is a reasonable price for what you get. A carbon sunroof delete panel is $400 plus shipping and saves only 30lbs. Of course itís a much easier install as well lol

My roof shipped today so I expect to have it in hand by next weekend.
__________________

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-08-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
tlow981343.00

      04-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #129
E91WAG3N
aka UberSteuer
E91WAG3N's Avatar
United_States
552
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: E91, E91
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Great thread! Love the carbon bumpers, it's on my list of items to tackle but haven't gotten around to it. Wish they had a carbon roof panel for E91
__________________
Instagram @E91WAG3N
Appreciate 1
Biginboca1574.50

      04-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #130
tlow98
Brigadier General
1343
Rep
3,647
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Thank you sir! I got my roof for $500 and $225 shipping, so $725 delivered. I think itís a fair price because it includes the black sharkfin and black roof rack rail covers which an OEM carbon roofed car would have instead of the white ones my car has now. Also thereís a bolted in steel structural support the carbon roof cars have that the sunroof cars donít that I would need which is included with the scrap roofs usually. That is like a $100 part from bmw.

If you buy a new one, which I doubt anyone would ever do, the going rate for just the carbon fiber panel new oem is about... $5k!

If you can do the work yourself I think ~$700 delivered is a reasonable price for what you get. A carbon sunroof delete panel is $400 plus shipping and saves only 30lbs. Of course itís a much easier install as well lol

My roof shipped today so I expect to have it in hand by next weekend.

That's downright reasonable, imo. Interested to see more and maybe document the install if you have time. It would be interesting to see a few pics from that operation!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #131
slowcar
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: slow car
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
jap wheels on german cars

where did you get the cf hood and trunk from ? i was thinking that is the move next for my e90 328 lci
completes the ricer look
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #132
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
54
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcar View Post
completes the ricer look
lol ignore the rest of the car.... do you research on volks and weds on bmws
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST