E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xDrive to rwd swap feasibility?

03-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
coz_mo
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

xDrive to rwd swap feasibility?

Has anyone ever done a complete rwd swap on an XI before? I don't mean xdelete, or remove front driveshaft. I'm talking about swapping motor, trans, subframe, etc...

Reason I ask, is because I have a damaged rwd manual 328i that I would like to use as a donor for a cheap clean car with mechanical problems or something. Rather than fixing my current car.

I've found an 09' 328xi automatic with high kms and a few problems but clean body. Are the XI chassis physically different? Would everything bolt up?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Soravia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

NO.
You won't be able to mount the transmission. The mount bracket to body are totally different.

Just keep the transmission with transfer case. Swap everything forward of the transmission as a whole unit. Call it a day. Most of the xDrive weight is from front axles (steel) and front spindles. Spindles are cast iron and heavier than the steel axles!

If you have a fabricator you can Fab a transmission mount but that's a pipe dream.
Or just get a RWD, they are plenty. Even as auto. Now swap is easier and you can take advantage of engine out to replace every single gasket and hoses that leak or break
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I'm Kinda in the same boat, I have a broken front subframe, and I can get another one off of a RWD pretty cheap along with a oil pan. Wondering what else I would have to do
Appreciate 0