E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Dealer Paint & Leather Protection worth it?

02-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #45
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
The slight bubbling over the dots on the rear screen with window tint can be greatly minimised if they use a hire dryer over the area at the time the film is being applied. They did on mine and heated the screen from both sides and I hardly have any bubbling effect. It will come down to the tint shop you use as to how good the quality of the job comes out.
Exactly what I thought, so where are these quality Tint shops ?
Any good tinters in Sydney ? Please advise.
      02-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #46
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Exactly what I thought, so where are these quality Tint shops ?
Any good tinters in Sydney ? Please advise.
I used Solartint around the northern beaches, forget the suburb, but it was on Cabbage Tree Rd... They did a perfect job
      02-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #47
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I used Solartint around the northern beaches, forget the suburb, but it was on Cabbage Tree Rd... They did a perfect job
As always, thanks Astra !
      02-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #48
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Gerifix,
I'm interested on your perspective in regards to the tinting on the rear window. Many people including myself have had problems at the dotted matrix section at the top of the rear window. My tinter could not get the tint to adhere very well in this area and, as such, the tint looks blotchy and slightly "unstuck" - not very pretty to look at unfortunately.
How does yours look ???
Where did you have your car tinted ? I wouldn't mind having them look at mine so it could be assessed. This is a real issue for me !!
Hi Sparky,
The dot matrix area on the coupes is large and makes it difficult for tinters. Mine is well stuck and there are no bubbles, but at the top (where the dots are large) it is really only stuck to the dots and not the glass giving it a slightly opaque appearance. I'm not sure, but I think they may have used some glue over the dot matrix area. It isn't perfect, but it is acceptable to me. I had the tinting done through Sydney BMW (Rushcutters Bay). Given all the aerials at the top of the rear screen, I figured it was better to get them (BMW) to do it just in case one of the aerials got damaged.

Tinting certainly makes a difference to the temperature of the interior of the car. When I had my untinted loaner last week it was like a sauna after a few hours in the sun, whereas when I got into my car today after 7 hours outside, it was just slightly warm.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #49
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
agree -- the way i looked at this was some sort of insurance. i do clean the car myself regularly but, just in case something happens, i have this to fall back on. luckily, was able to get the dealer to include this for free (after pricing has been settled ... oh, was able to add heated seats as well).
well let me start by saying I doubt a dealer just tossed in over 2500 in extra's no offence but I do this on the daily and there is not that much mark up in a BMW let alone a 3 series! but anyway this is a 50/50 I had a client get sap on his paint just two days after owning the car they paid a detail company 350 dollars for cleaning and a clay block! also it does contain teflon a know and tested product! while I dont believe any car dealer will toss this in it may not hurt to merely ask for a 1-200 dollar discount! the products do come with warrantys just read carefully the rules and follow them! it is nice to have no worries after you drop upwards of 50k on a car!! just my 2cents but what do I know I only do this for work lol

P.S I just ordered my new 335xi coupe and I already paid for the Simoniz Venture shield and tire and wheel warranty! but then again I got full asking price for my recent 540i I just sold hint hint
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #50
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dude your in the Australian section, we have different options and get a lot more free stuff thrown into the purchase price, because a 335 runs about $115k USD here and an M3 is pushing $150k
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #51
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Dude your in the Australian section, we have different options and get a lot more free stuff thrown into the purchase price, because a 335 runs about $115k USD here and an M3 is pushing $150k
Thanks ...... now I'm depressed
      02-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #52
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I got mine tinted by the dealer for about $400, and ordered the Zaino range of leather and paint treatments which arrived before the car did. On the day I took delivery, I drove straight home and applied the paint treatments. I re-apply the paint and leather treatments about 3 times a year and everyone comments how great my paintwork looks.

So I would agree with all those who have said no to paint and leather treatments from the dealership.

The only thing that has made my car look a little rough lately is that I do a great deal of country driving, and there are now scratches going down to the undercoat where stones and stuff have impacted my car at speed. Unfortunately, BMW use a white undercoat and my car is Sparking Graphite, so they stand out like the proverbial dog's bits.... but I appear to be the only one who sees them - probably because I look at the car so closely when I hand wash it.
      03-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #53
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep green View Post
Couldn't help requesting some info re window tinting for my new car.
Got to say though, and after reading through all the posted comments, I was warned with my previous car ('05 320i) NOT to persue tinting as the window seals are tight and could result in scratch marks. I had them tinted anyway by a top end supplier and sure enough within a few months there were visible scratch marks from going up and down through the tight seals - particularly the rears.
Was not keen to duplicate the issue with my new car so I left the window tinting bisso out of the equation - until now.
Have you had any issues re: minor scratching on yours to date?
Not that I notice
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #54
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Haha this thread is 12 years old
      03-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #55
Socket
Lieutenant General