E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bimmerlabs 330i Tune DIY Step by Step

04-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #485
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I have never been able to replicate it. I've studied all of the cruise control calibrations, and there's no difference that I can tell in the DME. It could be a coding issue, but since i can't replicate it I have no way to figure out the problem.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #486
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I'm pretty sure I never lost cruise control due to the flash. I think I brought it up because dessertman had issues with his with the MAFless tune but mine always worked just fine so I posted as to show mine works, so it must be something specific to his car.

Only noticeable issue I have had with the MAFless tune is that on cold starts it liked to rev up the engine by itself a few times and it would be running quite rough, all of which completely went away after going back to maf 330
      04-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #487
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I've never had issues with cold starts. Keeping in mind, it's all based off a factory calibration.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #488
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

It's very odd to me why it even happens, it also happens to a buddy of mine who we flashed that tune into his 2010 328i and has the same setup as mine, maybe it is that we're missing the euro IAT? I noticed when it does the revving up the fuel trims go a lot richer then back down. Otherwise ran perfect
      04-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #489
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I have never been able to replicate it. I've studied all of the cruise control calibrations, and there's no difference that I can tell in the DME. It could be a coding issue, but since i can't replicate it I have no way to figure out the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
It's very odd to me why it even happens, it also happens to a buddy of mine who we flashed that tune into his 2010 328i and has the same setup as mine, maybe it is that we're missing the euro IAT? I noticed when it does the revving up the fuel trims go a lot richer then back down. Otherwise ran perfect
Wanted to share this oddity I just resolved the other day. About a year ago I was writing something to my car. Shortly afterwards I noticed an issue with my car's speed limit warning. Namely, I couldnt turn it on. If I tried to activate it, it would immediately deactivate itself.

A few days ago I was exploring options on protools and found out that somehow, the speed limit warning function was turned off. I turned it on and the function is back.

In any case, it reminded me of your issue because I've never touched this option before and I wasnt even coding the same module last year, but I guess something toggled it unintentionally? Maybe the possible gremlin

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #490
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Im still not sure its related, but I get a rev blip on cold starts. I have the IAT and NoMAF tune and it still occurs. Same thing, blips but runs perfect otherwise.

That said, car is a decade old, so it could be a number of other things contributing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #491
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Im still not sure its related, but I get a rev blip on cold starts. I have the IAT and NoMAF tune and it still occurs. Same thing, blips but runs perfect otherwise.

That said, car is a decade old, so it could be a number of other things contributing.
Yes mine is kind of a blip like that. Rarely goes over 2k but it feels as if you had tapped the the throttle a bit. I have no vacuum leaks that I know of
      04-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #492
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes mine is kind of a blip like that. Rarely goes over 2k but it feels as if you had tapped the the throttle a bit. I have no vacuum leaks that I know of
Mine tops at about 1100RPM.

I'll be due in a few months to dig around the engine. I mean at this point, could be check valves or a small leak on the injector/seals; PCV, fuel vent valve. Only reason I don't suspect DISAs is they were recently replaced. It's really not a big deal and I could honestly just put it in reverse right after I start and never care. But curiosity killed the cat. Maybe I'll try the MAF-profile again just to A/B test it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #493
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Bimmerlabs RSA delete and 328i->330i tune flashing went successfully for me!
I have reset DME to factory default and now I have only 2AA8 2AA9 so I need to install 3IM. Cold start 1.4K RPM so it seems ok.

Other than that, in Inpa I have noticed that DME does not have ZB nr./VIN/Date its blank:

Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #494
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
My cold starts can get up to 1500rpm, but after the first like 30 seconds it calms down quickly. Can rev and bog down a bit too - makes it sound like the car is a racecar, or that it has a hog-ass cam. I DO have a Euro IAT, and have had it the entire time I've had this tune.

As for cruise control, both my car and my friend's 128i had it disabled upon installing the noMAF tune. No idea why, I tried everything I could think of.
  • Reset every calibration for DSC I could find in both ISTA/d and INPA
  • Updated the entire car to the latest ZBs
  • Coded the car back to factory according to VO (after ensuring the VO still had the CC option)
  • Flashed back to stock and made sure CC still works there (it does)

Probably other things I can't remember. I know I followed a few guides people made for CC and ACC retrofits and tried to see if there was anything I was missing and couldn't find much.

I dunno, must be a 1 series thing.

Last edited by desertman123; 04-18-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #495
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be due in a few months to dig around the engine. I mean at this point, could be check valves or a small leak on the injector/seals; PCV, fuel vent valve. Only reason I don't suspect DISAs is they were recently replaced. It's really not a big deal and I could honestly just put it in reverse right after I start and never care. But curiosity killed the cat. Maybe I'll try the MAF-profile again just to A/B test it.
I can confirm the same on my 2009 328i with MAFless tune and everything else stock and no leaks etc.
Revs up to about ~1100 rpm a few secs after starting, then back down right away. No issues otherwise. Runs nice and smooth.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #496
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can confirm the same on my 2009 328i with MAFless tune and everything else stock and no leaks etc.
Revs up to about ~1100 rpm a few secs after starting, then back down right away. No issues otherwise. Runs nice and smooth.
Are you guys sure this is a problem?

The N54 does not have a MAF and does something similar. Feels like a random high idle at start but quickly settles down and does not repeat.

Seems to be something the DME does right after a flash or adaptation reset. Sometimes when it's cold but my car is rarely started in really cold weather. I live in Tampa Florida with a well insulated garage. Don't think I've seen it below 66 degrees in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #497
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is worst case scenario but it's what it did on my car. Usually wouldn't be as rough and would rev up to like 1200 or so but there's a difference between this and normal high idle from a cold start. This actively revs the engine up for a second and down as if you had touched the throttle

04-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #498
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Are you guys sure this is a problem?

The N54 does not have a MAF and does something similar. Feels like a random high idle at start but quickly settles down and does not repeat.

Seems to be something the DME does right after a flash or adaptation reset. Sometimes when it's cold but my car is rarely started in really cold weather. I live in Tampa Florida with a well insulated garage. Don't think I've seen it below 66 degrees in the morning.
Yeah, I mean, its similar to when the engine actually wants to warm itself up on startup, which is why I feel its pretty negligible. Could be a decade-old car problem to begin with.

Quote:
This is worst case scenario but it's what it did on my car. Usually wouldn't be as rough and would rev up to like 1200 or so but there's a difference between this and normal high idle from a cold start. This actively revs the engine up for a second and down as if you had touched the throttle

Mine usually isn't as erratic, but that's about the long and short of it. Wait a minute and let it do it's thing, or drive off and never see it until the next cold start.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #499
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's the odd thing about it that it only happens on cold start. It drives perfect right after. I thought it was related to missing the euro IAT but seems like that doesn't help either
      04-19-2021, 03:23 AM   #500
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
First off. That thing sounds like a cammed LS lol...

And second, that's really interesting. My car before and after the flash occasionally has an interesting "rev hang" after a cold start, similar to how it starts if valvetronic is at full lift and it is being regulated via the throttle body. However, no codes or anything of the sort.

If I have the eccentric shaft sensor disconnected, and the engine is being regulated only by the TB, I get the exact cold start behavior as your earlier video, Will- erratic revs and sputtering. With it plugged in, I only ever that that typical bmw warm start lope/sputter occasionally. Our N55 M235i and my 330i both do a warm start sputter from time to time that sounds absolutely identical to each other- so I assume it's valvetronic mass flow related as the two engines have entirely different fuel systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #501
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looking at that video, I actually don't see anything odd. It appears the DME is just stabilizing the idle at a cold start. The only thing that seem strange to me is I have never seen any of my N52 cars do that, but I've never had one with MSV80 (only MSV70 and MSV90).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #502
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Here's mine for reference on a "normal" N52 without codes etc compared to E92William's.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #503
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well mine only really has the transfer case fuse pulled out that's about it which throws the 4x4 light. If there was a valvetronic code or something then I'd be able to go from there, reason why it's puzzling is because there's nothing shown on inpa. Also have done the vanos tests on ista with no issues
      04-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #504
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'll try to get a video of mine - it's been sitting for a couple days so should be stone cold.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #505
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Made a quick video of mine. This one got a little aggressive, but it's been worse - like cam'd V8 for a few seconds lol. Never really thought much of it since it corrects itself so quickly.

Also would like to mention this is a custom noMAF tune from BimmerLabs that we got working with Active Autowerke headers

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #506
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok, I'll join the mix. Car has been sitting since Friday. Today seemed a little exceptional and blipped a bit higher to about 1300 RPM. Takes about 2.5min to even out to 600-700 RPM. Again, if I threw it straight into reverse it wouldn't be a big deal and I'd never know...

Appreciate 0