E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DAB Radio specced but not available?

06-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
E93M3MW
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

DAB Radio specced but not available?

Hi guys, bit of a strange one here

Bought an LCI M3 recently, so it has the CIC I drive. Spec list on M Decoder shows that it has S654 DAB Tuner, however when I go to Radio menu I only see AM and FM? Am I missing something or is there any way to easily check if I have DAB or not?

I've tried searching everywhere but I can only find post relating to "No DAB Signal" and not the issue I have!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:55 AM   #2
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Physical check of the back of the unit would be best. Remove the radio trim, then 4 screws holding the unit in. Check the back for green and yellow aerial connectors. If it only has blue and black, its not DAB.

If green and yellow are present then its likely coded incorrectly. Check the production date of the unit as it may be DAB+ if late enough abd and has to be coded accordingly to give full ensemble.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:09 AM   #3
E93M3MW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Physical check of the back of the unit would be best. Remove the radio trim, then 4 screws holding the unit in. Check the back for green and yellow aerial connectors. If it only has blue and black, its not DAB.

If green and yellow are present then its likely coded incorrectly. Check the production date of the unit as it may be DAB+ if late enough abd and has to be coded accordingly to give full ensemble.
Hi Andy, that is very helpful thank you.

I will go out and check when I get the chance. First, I need to watch a couple of videos on how to remove the radio

Will the production date also be on the back of the unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
E93M3MW
Rep

Ok. So I definitely don't have green and yellow aerial ports at the back, so that makes it a non DAB unit?

However, I do have a cable with a yellow connector that is unplugged?

Do non dab units also come with this cable? Or is my car some sort of hybrid where the yellow cable is present, but with a non dab radio?

My car is registered Late 2011, however the side of the unit has the date 24.05.2010

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93M3MW View Post
Ok. So I definitely don't have green and yellow aerial ports at the back, so that makes it a non DAB unit?

However, I do have a cable with a yellow connector that is unplugged?

Do non dab units also come with this cable? Or is my car some sort of hybrid where the yellow cable is present, but with a non dab radio?

My car is registered Late 2011, however the side of the unit has the date 24.05.2010

Any ideas?
Most likely a replacement CIC without DAB at some point. Keep an eye on here and ebay for a DAB unit if you want that functionality. You'll then need a used unit pairing to your vin before NAV will work etc. Member Ccfj1 on here did
mine for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
E93M3MW
Rep

Thanks mate

Would a dab unit and relevant coding be all that I need? Or will I need additional cable, aerials etc?

Don't think I could see a cable with the green connector in the dash
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

So long as your aerial hardware is still present in the car it should be ready to go.
Green plug handles a different band of DAB broadcast that isn't used in the UK. Guess the Germans didn't bother to fit it when DAB specced on a UK car at manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
E93M3MW
Rep

Very helpful, thank you 😊
Appreciate 0