E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any boiler/central heating experts here??

11-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Any boiler/central heating experts here??

Hi Guys

Hope someone in the know can advise..

We are basically in the process of doing extensive renovations (multiple extensions) to our house - we will be living in the house during the works. Currently we have an old Potterton Kingfisher 2 floor boiler outside and a green foam covered water tank upstairs (gravity system)

When the house is finished in about 12 months, I want to install a megaflo system i.e. unvented tank with a boiler - I will at this point upgrade the mains feed to the blue poly pipe to hopefully ensure the pressure is adequate

Currently, we have have one bathroom, three bedrooms. Post renovation, will be five bathrooms, five/six bedrooms but dont envisage more than two or three bathrooms would be in use at the same time. Downstairs will be underfloor heating and rest radiators

Given the temp dropping and possibilty of pipes freezing etc, the builder wants to disconnect the current boiler, buy the new boiler now and install it inside the house and then move it into the loft once the house is built out...

Question - is it possible to buy one boiler now that will accomadate both scenerios? If yes, what type of boiler do I need to buy - if someone could specify the exact model i would appreciate it? Thinking Worcester Bosch but would possibly consider Valiant as well

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
qa15ar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

yes you can buy a boiler now which will cover both scenarios. you will need a system boiler. I went for vaillant as they easy to work on if something goes wrong and parts are easy to get hold off. Looking at your requirements you would probably need a Vaillant 630 or 637 you will have to work the exact KW based on number of radiators etc.

i found buying the tank and boiler together saved me some cash. i got mine from mrcentralheating.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
A friend has a megaflow and doesn't really rate it.

Any particular reaon you want one of those over a regular combi?
      12-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
russmw
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 318i

Hi

Prior to having a loft conversion this year we needed to have the old heating\hot water system ripped out and replaced in preperation.

We went for a megflow & worcester boiler and have been really happy with it. The water pressure over the 3 floors is great and we can have both showers running and washing machine on with no impact on anything plus the megaflow holds enough hot water for 2 days so the boiler stays dormant for periods of time.

In short yes, you could put the boiler in now then reconfigure it for the megaflow at a later date.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
macabethiele
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325SE petrol

Boilers and high pressure.

My neighbour had a massive water leak whilst he out due to a high pressure system. It was his shower that leaked as the CH bits had all been replaced. Caused his lounge ceiling to collapse in the run up to last Christmas.

I went for a Baxi Boiler as our old one lasted almost 30 years and it was the old Baxi Bermuda on a Primatic system. I decided against high pressure system and have gone for standard fully pumped system with a condensing BBU boiler and my gas cost over the last 2 winters has been some 40 % cheaper than any previous year. (I have records spanning 12 years)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Can't help you with the boiler but I don't suppose you have/planning to have a build thread anywhere? I'm always interested in how people go about extensions and yours seems pretty extensive and I am intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Interested in knowing how you found someone willing to convert vented to unvented with a megaflow lol. I've had several plumbers - sorry, heating engineers, around and they all say "you need a combi mate" before even considering what I'm looking for. So frustrating. I have a full water pressure and 3 bathrooms and 2 growing kids (girls) and a wife.. like hell at least 2 of those bathrooms wont be in use at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
Can't help you with the boiler but I don't suppose you have/planning to have a build thread anywhere? I'm always interested in how people go about extensions and yours seems pretty extensive and I am intrigued.
LOL - it is certainly extensive. Unfortunately, not planning on doing a build thread - have basically given the whole job to one contractor and will provide him finishing materials like kitchens, bathrooms, floor i.e. carpet, tiles etc, windows and so on. They have already poured the foundations and started laying bricks yesterday - i may stick some before/after pics on here once the build is complete in roughly a year's time
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 03:39 AM   #9
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

This https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/cylinders and one of these https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/pr...classic-system

I had our house upgraded last summer , It really is the nuts mate, no need for any pumps on the showers ,removes the need for any tanks in the loft so removing any issues that can occur up there, Use a Bosch installer the Cylinder has 25 yr warranty and the Boiler 10 yrs , Our house has never been as warm and its efficient as well , we have a 210 ltr tank its quite large but they go as high as 300 we have never run out of hot water . The boiler is quiet as well , We used a company from Worcester Bosch recommended installer link CM Heating and plumbing based in Seaford Sussex, What I would say is give him a ring and talk it through with him, His name is Craig , A really helpful great guy !

In fact we have had him change two other Boilers in our Boys properties and he maintains two more WBs in two rentals we have. My vote goes with a WB and I have 5 wbs, had issues with potter ton,valkira,Baxi

Hope this helps

Last edited by scooba0010; 01-14-2017 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0