E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Passing Emissions without DP Fix *SOLVED*

07-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Passing Emissions without DP Fix *SOLVED*

I'm sharing this in hopes that saves other N55 owners time and money. I originally bought the o2 sensor simulator from Area54 a few years ago and it worked perfectly. I recently tried to use the DP Fix from VRSF, which is supposed to be the same, but after trying 2 different units I just could not get it to work. It would throw o2 sensor Delayed and Slow response codes, which prevented me from passing emissions.

I removed the fix, flashed the MHD Stage2 map and drove around for a week. I'm in MD, but many other states allow for 1 of the monitors to be "Unready" or "Incomplete". So I kept checking MHD until only one of the monitors remained that way. Passed just fine. Wish I had done that from the start.

Last edited by jake1220; 07-27-2018 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      07-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Thanks for sharing

My question is when you use MHD to not display the engine check light (Hide the code), what happens when you get other engine check light codes does it hide them too ? Codes that might be other issues ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It looks like the MHD maps disable the Post-cat o2 sensor all together. In the emissions check they are marked as "Not Available". MHD does not hide any other codes. You will get normal codes if need be.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1220 View Post
It looks like the MHD maps disable the Post-cat o2 sensor all together. In the emissions check they are marked as "Not Available". MHD does not hide any other codes. You will get normal codes if need be.

Do you see any other fuel trim or AFR related codes after the DP install ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Do you see any other fuel trim or AFR related codes after the DP install ?
No, never. You will get those if MHD is not installed though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335

Quote:
I'm sharing this in hopes that saves other N55 owners time and money. I originally bought the o2 sensor simulator from Area54 a few years ago and it worked perfectly. I recently tried to use the DP Fix from VRSF, which is supposed to be the same, but after trying 2 different units I just could not get it to work. It would throw o2 sensor Delayed and Slow response codes, which prevented me from passing emissions.

I removed the fix, flashed the MHD Stage2 map and drove around for a week. I'm in MD, but many other states allow for 1 of the monitors to be "Unready" or "Incomplete". So I kept checking MHD until only one of the monitors remained that way. Passed just fine. Wish I had done that from the start.
Hi thanks for posting this.
I am a little confused but in the same situation. I have an 2011 335i Xdrive N55 and got the VRSF DP fix- followed the DIY instructions thread that Tiago sent me and I had the same issues/codes that you described. Tiago just mailed out an replacement unit today as the first one did seem to be defective.

I am flashed to MHD Stage 0 aka STOCK. This enables the 02 monitors etc.
With flashed to Stage 2 or any other stake with catless downpipe it disables the 02 and Catalyst monitors I believe which would automatically FAIL the NY State inspection- unless I am missing something?

Is there a way you can post a screenshot of your Monitors within MHD so we can see what they look like?

Many thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludilo View Post
Hi thanks for posting this.
I am a little confused but in the same situation. I have an 2011 335i Xdrive N55 and got the VRSF DP fix- followed the DIY instructions thread that Tiago sent me and I had the same issues/codes that you described. Tiago just mailed out an replacement unit today as the first one did seem to be defective.

I am flashed to MHD Stage 0 aka STOCK. This enables the 02 monitors etc.
With flashed to Stage 2 or any other stake with catless downpipe it disables the 02 and Catalyst monitors I believe which would automatically FAIL the NY State inspection- unless I am missing something?

Is there a way you can post a screenshot of your Monitors within MHD so we can see what they look like?

Many thanks in Advance.
I thought that would prevent me from passing as well, but somehow it didn't. I am allowed to have one test incomplete and still pass. I would check to see if your state allows this, but the only test that remained that way is the EVAP, which eventually would have completed so maybe this can work in any state.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah Evap can take forever to be in a COMPLETE State...
If you don't mind can you take a full screenshot of the MHD Window where it also shows what Tune/Stage you are running?
Pretty sure when I was on stage 2+ Oxygen Sensor and Heater said Not Available and I want to say same with Catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

This has already been discussed in other threads and is not really new...I removed my o2 fix but I would recommend looking into the emissions requirements of your state since it varies.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Evap can take forever to be in a COMPLETE State...
If you don't mind can you take a full screenshot of the MHD Window where it also shows what Tune/Stage you are running?
Pretty sure when I was on stage 2+ Oxygen Sensor and Heater said Not Available and I want to say same with Catalyst.
Here you go. That power management code doesn't affect emissions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
This has already been discussed in other threads and is not really new...I removed my o2 fix but I would recommend looking into the emissions requirements of your state since it varies.
I actually never saw this mentioned here. My friend with an N54 told me to do it this way and it worked. My point is to show that the DP fix/O2 Sim is unnecessary. I did not have it installed when I went through emissions.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Jake- I guess I will give it a shot.
But wouldn't Not Available for Catalyst and Heated Catalyst be like an automatic fail if says NOT AVALIABLE?
Anyone familiar with NY State inspections- feel free to chime in
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But wouldn't Not Available for Catalyst and Heated Catalyst be like an automatic fail if says NOT AVALIABLE?
That's what I thought, but in MD at least it doesn't matter I guess
Appreciate 1
wrrush24.00
      07-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

My question would be...if the A54 sim was working perfect why didn’t you just stay with that?

Thx for the info
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just wanted to take a minute and post my experience.
After having doubts about Jake's success and since I was in the same situation...
I took out the DP Fix (Box) and flashed the car back to MHD Stage 2+ which obviously reset all the monitors. Drove for 15 miles and the only 2 not ready were EVAP and Heated O2. Let the car sit overnight- fired up in morning (cold start) and Heated O2 was ready as well.

So I just had 1 Monitor not ready which was EVAP.

Catalyst and Heated Catalyst say NOT AVALIABLE.

Took it to get inspected and it passed just fine.

So to sum it up- if you have an N55 engine with Catless DP and MHD Tune- you do not need a DP fix. I lost 3 weeks on and off playing with the O2 Simulator (DP Fix) which just did not work for my car.

I no longer even get the codes about O2 sensors which it was throwing with the DP Fix in the car.

Jake1220- thank you once again for sharing your story. I was able to replicate and don't have to worry about inspection until 7/2019
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

In Ma for example, if Catalyst is in the "Not Available" state it is an automatic fail. MHD has to be checked to the OEM/catted downpipe option before flash to enable the rear o2 sensor. If people in states like Ma don't have the dp fix, just make sure you do a couple EXTREMELY light driving cycles and you might be able to get the Catalyst to read ready. Coming from Audi, that is how we pass emissions since there is no fix for it. Spacers are used to take the sensor out of the direct path of the exhaust flow. I am not sure why a few people are having such a hard time with these fixes though. It is understandable if you get a faulty box. There shouldn't be any problem if the directions are followed step for step. People also need to make sure to buy the positaps listed in the instructions. Mine worked flawlessly and I still have mine installed after 7 months without any issues.
      08-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #17
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
In Ma for example, if Catalyst is in the "Not Available" state it is an automatic fail. MHD has to be checked to the OEM/catted downpipe option before flash to enable the rear o2 sensor. If people in states like Ma don't have the dp fix, just make sure you do a couple EXTREMELY light driving cycles and you might be able to get the Catalyst to read ready. Coming from Audi, that is how we pass emissions since there is no fix for it. Spacers are used to take the sensor out of the direct path of the exhaust flow. I am not sure why a few people are having such a hard time with these fixes though. It is understandable if you get a faulty box. There shouldn't be any problem if the directions are followed step for step. People also need to make sure to buy the positaps listed in the instructions. Mine worked flawlessly and I still have mine installed after 7 months without any issues.
Hmm yeah that's what I thought as well for NYS- if Catalyst is "Not Available" Automatic Fail. I am flashed stage 2 + currently and do not recall checking any options for OEM/Catted DP and both of my O2 sensors seem to be working- both are READY status/state.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought, but in MD at least it doesn't matter I guess
Where did you test?

MD does require that catalyst readiness be true but you may have tested at a facility that does not monitor it.

I when through the cat issue in MD even with high flow cats.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #19
Xradeon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2009

Wait.. What?? I have an E82 2013 (N55) with MHD Stage 2+ map and got the check engine light because of the catless DP.. I always untick the catted DP option when coding.. I was so sure that MHD didn't take care of catless DP CEL light...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:49 AM   #20
B15hop
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i Gran Coupe XDr

Quote:

Sorry to Necro the shit out of this but I’m having this issue now. Will this work with JB4 and an MHD backend flash? Or do I have to drop the JB4 and just go with MHD? Thank you.
Appreciate 0