E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone fitted a sub in the boot alongside a professional HU?

06-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Ben_jah_min
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI Le Mans Blue M-sport

Anyone fitted a sub in the boot alongside a professional HU?

Ive got a spare JL 10"W3V3 sub sat in my garage and coming out of an old C5 A6 the bass is quite frankly awful in my E91 - the mids and tops are nice and clean but the bass is severely lacking imo.

Ive read a few threads where people have tapped into the factory amp to pick up a signal to feed the amp.

Ive found a couple of enclosures online that supposedly fits into the rear quarter;

https://www.rw-online.co.uk/bmw-3-se...enclosure.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-3-seri...IAAMXQ3kNTiPL7

Has anyone done this install over here? It seems in theory pretty easy to do as all the hardware is already in the boot so it seems all you would need is a connection to tap onto the OE amp with an integrated crossover - such as some kind of line driver, an amp and a sub/ enclosure.

Ideally id also like to add a gain control in the armrest but thats not of upmost importance just a nice addition.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Scorpio E90
Rep
Drives: BMW 318 M Sport

Garage List
Hi
I did just that when I had my E53... I tapped into one of the rear speaker output from the amp using a high to low RCA converter. I also used a 9v line driver, but anything from 7v is ok. I originally did the install without the line driver and the volume from the amp was pants. I was then advised to use a 7v or more line drive as the bmw system doesn't have a high enough volts output to directly run an aftermarket amp. I ran 2 amps, 2 subs 1 component set and a pair of coaxials
Looking inside the interior everything looked standard

I'm in the process of doing my build for my E90 and it's a similar route I'll be taking, only difference is I'll be using a 7v eq that I had from a previous install
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I have a custom plug and play loom designed for cars with the Hifi amp, it gives you a line level sub output and also includes amp remote blue wire too.
So all you need to add is the sub amp power and earth from the battery.
I'd sell it if anyone was interested as my new E91 doesn't have Hifi
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
McPikie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Msport

I'm looking to install my sub/amp in my E91 but I don't even have a factory amp, so I am going to have to run a line convertor from the underseat subs to the boot and figure a way of running a switched live to the rear for the remote which I can turn on and off manually
Appreciate 0