E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 2011 Touring: ZSP 6MT RWD

04-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #111
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Great update! Funny though...my car runs so much better during cooler and rainy months so I enjoy driving more during that time...Hate the pollens right now
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #112
BMW_Fan_CA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Touring

Excellent project, vehicle looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #113
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Great update! Funny though...my car runs so much better during cooler and rainy months so I enjoy driving more during that time...Hate the pollens right now
This is the worst pollen bloom I can remember since I was a kid. It was challenging to see and breath. Zyrtec is our friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan_CA View Post
Excellent project, vehicle looks awesome!
Thanks!
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #114
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Some updates:

1) Summer tires and new ARC-8s!!! Replaced (finally) the Blizzaks with Potenza S-04 Pole Positions sized 255/40/17 square on new Apex ARC-8 rims 17 x 9 ET:30 in Hyper Silver. No spacers, no rubbing. I'm a fan of S04 PP for summer tires because they grip similarly to Michelin PSS, while remaining quieter and more civil for street duty. The S04s will never see track time, so no worries over heat management, which I found to be the weak point with PSS on track. I have a set of RE-71Rs which are better suited for track conditions. The new shoes fit and feel terrific.

2) TPMS -> FTM: With new wheels, it would be necessary to buy another set of TPMS sensors. The benefit of this conversion is side-stepping the need to buy 4 expensive TPMS sensors. Research showed that North America is the sole market using TPMS, because DOT mandates not only that tire pressure needs to be monitored, but also how the pressure is monitored - directly using TPMS sensors. The rest of the world bypasses the clunky TPMS system with FTM. FTM uses DSC to monitor the tire rotation. If one corner differs significantly, then FTM assumes low pressure. I tested FTM by lowering the pressure at one corner to confirm that yes, in fact, FTM functions fine.

3) StopTech brakes. Installed front and rear ST60 / ST40 brakes. Sadly found one of the bleed screws on the pax rear caliper was stripped. I had to remove the rear ST40s and go back to the stock rear brakes. The caliper is with the machinist now. Fingers crossed the caliper body can be tapped and repaired.
Attached Images

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 6
      05-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #115
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

The new ARC-8's look incredible over those yellow Stop Techs! Well done sir. Thank you for sharing

-Matt
      07-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #116
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Dang! I wondered where all the incredible wagon modding was happening. It's all right in here.

Congrats on the new car and loving the progress in here. Super happy you stayed with the marque and are reaching for an ever better wagon.

Thanks for pioneering the M3 front subframe plate! Reminds me of the 'x-brace' mod for the E36 M cars... Loved my old M3 with that brace - was a tangible difference, but it also tied into the body. You notice a difference with that plate?

Also, maybe I missed it, but are you intending to stick with the TCK SAs?

Last edited by tlow98; 07-26-2018 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #117
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Preparing for new suspension and brakes.

It's remarkable how much trim removal is required to gain access to the rear shock towers.

Edit: Here's a link to the DIY I found to be helpful. The trim removal process wasn't intuitive.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17
Attached Images

Last edited by tetsuo111; 10-08-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 4
      10-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #118
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
tlow98 Sorry for the delay, I've been away for awhile....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Thanks for pioneering the M3 front subframe plate! Reminds me of the 'x-brace' mod for the E36 M cars... Loved my old M3 with that brace - was a tangible difference, but it also tied into the body. You notice a difference with that plate?
WRT/ the front M3 "thrust plate" (per RealOEM). Yes, I notice a subtle but noticeable improvement in road feedback and 'feel'. The magnitude is about the same as replacing the non-M front strut brace with the stiffer M3 AL strut brace. The improvement is subtle and noticeable, at least for me.

I think chassis stiffening is like a weight-loss program. It's unusual for any one item to make a dramatic improvement. Rather, it's the cumulative effect after a series of incremental improvements that add-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Also, maybe I missed it, but are you intending to stick with the TCK SAs?
TCK SA worked very well for me. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend TCK coilovers because the price / performance / value point is among the best. So is the customer service.

For this ride, I'm trying a different type of coilover, moving from SA to DA JRZ / M3. Springs are stiffer at 550 / 800# front / rear, compared with 400 / 600# with TCK SA. I'm both looking forward to, and dreading the learning curve moving from SA to DA dampers.

Before installing the coilovers, it's necessary to swap the front and rear wheel carriers from stock to M3, swap to M3 arms and bushings in the rear, and replace the bearings and hubs with new M3 parts. There are quite a few bearings and bushings to do, so this may take awhile.

M3 wheel carriers mean new brakes, too, because the mounting points differ. The scope of work for the brakes is in total, to include the booster and larger MC, and most importantly, a M3 DSC pump and ABS control module + coding for control.
Attached Images

Last edited by tetsuo111; 10-08-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      11-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #119
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
PCA DE Bremerton, WA Nov 2011

Had an unseasonably beautiful November day for the last driver's clinic of the year. This morning was typically crisp and damp, turning the corner to blue skies later. These clinics are available at your local CCA / PCA / SCCA, etc. IME, the feedback from participants is unanimous: the time spent is massively beneficial. At a minimum, everyone has a ton of fun. Many enroll their loved ones after they complete the course, because the curriculum produces safer, more proficient drivers. I know of at least graduate who paid for his nanny to attend the clinic, since she drives the kids to and from school. If you haven't already done so, you ought to check it out.

Besides, where else can one get a pat on the back and encouragement for spinning sideways around the skid pad?
Attached Images

Last edited by tetsuo111; 11-15-2018 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #120
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Preparing for new suspension and brakes.

It's remarkable how much trim removal is required to gain access to the rear shock towers.

Edit: Here's a link to the DIY I found to be helpful. The trim removal process wasn't intuitive.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17
The rear cargo interior removal was a HUGE pain in the ass. I hated it sooo much.

On a side note, now that I have CKS coilovers on my F31, I feel spoiled because the dampening adjustments are in the wheel well right under the top mount. I'm relatively low, but I could technically just do a reach around the rear wheels and turn the knobs for adjustment. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't do that.
      11-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #121
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You're on easy street, with your rear setup. I remember having to disassemble the "easy" trim panels just to access the SA knob on the last car. The knob is on top of the damper, beneath the rubber cap to the wheel well.

Next suspension will have external reservoirs. I'm expecting these to be smile-inducing just for the improvement in convenience. Assuming they perform better, will be icing on the cake.

Keep posting about your progress. Yours is strong motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
The rear cargo interior removal was a HUGE pain in the ass. I hated it sooo much.

On a side note, now that I have CKS coilovers on my F31, I feel spoiled because the dampening adjustments are in the wheel well right under the top mount. I'm relatively low, but I could technically just do a reach around the rear wheels and turn the knobs for adjustment. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:50 AM   #122
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're on easy street, with your rear setup. I remember having to disassemble the "easy" trim panels just to access the SA knob on the last car. The knob is on top of the damper, beneath the rubber cap to the wheel well.

Next suspension will have external reservoirs. I'm expecting these to be smile-inducing just for the improvement in convenience. Assuming they perform better, will be icing on the cake.

Keep posting about your progress. Yours is strong motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post

Yea looking forward to seeing what you get next for your suspension.

Thanks for the kind words.

Fingers crossed, I'll get the n54 swapped e91 back by thanksgiving 🙌🏼
      11-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #123
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
E91 Touring Lightweight - Joining the 3,200 lb Wagon Club

The 57 lb OEM lead acid battery was replaced with a 7 lb Voltphreaks VPH900 LiFePO4 battery and 1.5 lb battery bracket. I'm in the habit of using a battery tender already, so I simply replaced the old charger with a new CTEK Lithium charger.

It's only been a couple of days but during this short period, the car turns over as before, and there have been no malfunctions.

Props to Elliott at The Shop, who fabricated a battery box as strong as a weight-bearing structural member.

Voltphreaks:

I chose this product because it's one of the very few (Liteblox, there might be others) with under-voltage and over-charge protection circuits. These are mandatory from an operating and safety perspective. Feedback from real users support the vendor's product. Do your research - there are a number of Lithium batteries available, but only a small handful that are safe to use, IMO.

Registration and Coding:

The VPH900 is spec'd as 33AH reserve capacity LiFePO4 battery. Using Carly, I was able to change the charging profile to 40AH AGM. LiFePO4 battery chemistry differs from lead acid batteries. The charging profile must be changed to reflect the new battery or the battery life may be shortened. In the worst case, a Lithium battery without the protection circuits on the Voltphreaks may catch fire. No joke.

Battery Tender:

As with registering the battery to the car, the charging profile is different and a Lithium battery specific charger should be used. I chose a CTEK Lithium US.

Battery Box:

3/16" Aluminum plate with AL angle iron TIG welded to fit. It weighs just over a pound and is very strong.
Attached Images

Last edited by tetsuo111; 11-21-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 5
      11-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #124
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So much win in this thread.

I will have to admit, I'm in negotiations to pick up a beat up LCI RWD E91 6MT in black to build up and want to be your little brother copying you 😂. Plus I just miss rowing some gears.
      11-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #125
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
As others have said above...I am thinking of switching to an E91! Currently in an E90 335xi and love the torque and power; however, wagons seem more practical for me and the E91 is just beautiful!

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111224.00
      12-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #126
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Why Are Car Enthusiasts so Obsessed with Wagons?

As a fan of Doug DeMuro's YouTube channel, his short answer to the question, "Why Are Car Enthusiasts so Obsessed with Wagons?" seems fitting here (posted by nsjames in a different thread):

Why-are-car-enthusiasts-so-obsessed-with-wagons?

I agree with Doug - wagons are Kryptonite to the ladies (in case you're single). When I was considering my first wagon, before being married, my single lady friends thought I contracted food poisoning when I asked their opinion about an Audi wagon. On the other hand, car people seem to need to check out long roofs:

TL;DR:

"No, the real reason I got my wagons is, first and foremost, because they were fun to drive. And I think this gets to the heart of why most enthusiasts like wagons: because they offer SUV cargo volume, and SUV seating capacity, and sometimes even SUV capabilities, except they have a center of gravity that falls within a major league baseball strike zone. Whereas, if you ask car enthusiasts, SUVs are tall, lumbering machines that tip over if you slam the doors too hard.

And the other benefit of wagons? They're rare. Car enthusiasts will swear up and down this isn't why they like wagons, but the truth is this: SUVs are everywhere, and wagons are nowhere, and car enthusiasts like the notoriety that comes with loving something unique. After all: any idiot can buy an SUV. There are dozens of SUVs on the market, at dozens of price points, from the highly expensive Range Rover on down to the Pontiac Torrent, which costs as much as a fluorescent lightbulb four-pack. Whereas there are only a few wagons, and that makes them cool, and unique, and special, because you have to actually go seek them out if you really want one.

And so, Colbert, to sum things up: wagons are cool and rare, while SUVs are boring and ubiquitous. Wagons are fast and fun, while SUVs are large and tippy."

Last edited by tetsuo111; 12-04-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #127
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
As others have said above...I am thinking of switching to an E91! Currently in an E90 335xi and love the torque and power; however, wagons seem more practical for me and the E91 is just beautiful!
You can have it all!

A forum member swapped a N54 into his E91, somewhat recently in the past year or so. I believe he's in MI, too.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1166.50
      12-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #128
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You can have it all!

A forum member swapped a N54 into his E91, somewhat recently in the past year or so. I believe he's in MI, too.
Do you know which member? I would love to contact him and get more info!

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #129
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you know which member? I would love to contact him and get more info!
I searched but didn't find a build thread.

I think it might have been gixracer.

Here's a similar project in Chicago, by Greg555:

E91 335i

If you proceed, please document your build. It will be inspiration for many...
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1166.50
      12-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #130
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

The n55 E91 was mine
n52 auto swapped to a n55 manual
there are about 5 n54's floating around now here in michigan. 2 are dct's and the others are manual

The n54 are easy because the wiring is simple
4 Doors1166.50
      12-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #131
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixracer View Post
The n55 E91 was mine
n52 auto swapped to a n55 manual
there are about 5 n54's floating around now here in michigan. 2 are dct's and the others are manual

The n54 are easy because the wiring is simple
Did you have a build thread? I thought I remembered following at one time. I, and I'm confident others, would enjoy following your journey.

In any case, strong work!
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      12-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #132
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fire Bottle and Mounting Bracket

Safecraft PC2 / Halon 1211 and Brey Krause.

I chose to fabricate an adapter to mount the extinguisher within arms reach, on the prop tunnel, rather than tantalizingly close but out of reach in front of the pax seat. I don't understand the popularity of the front pax seat location - if the bottle can't be reached, where's the value in having it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
8081M40.50
pocky95.50