E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Single Piston Caliper - design flawed?

09-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #23
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Cool! Sounds like a good gig. I agree that BMWs are generally well equipped for stopping, and an emergency stop from 155mph is a legitimate possibility, not just a 'what if...?' consideration.

I'm still not convinced though that using the brakes hard would help the OP. Especially given my experience there.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:44 AM   #24
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
I have similar experience with my or in-house vehicles... just drive the car regularly&harder (on brakes) and problem is solved... it took my wife one year to degrade the rear brakes like this on her Mercedes, before they were brand new alike...
E-vehicles are facing these issues nowadays as the need to brake is even fewer due to the fact that recuperation forces slow down the car by themselves.
      09-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Cool! Sounds like a good gig. I agree that BMWs are generally well equipped for stopping, and an emergency stop from 155mph is a legitimate possibility, not just a 'what if...?' consideration.

I'm still not convinced though that using the brakes hard would help the OP. Especially given my experience there.
I think it depends on maintenance and parts he is using too. Not being aggressive enough could lead to, for the lack of better word, lack of exercise of certain parts. That coupled with cracked boots etc. could lead to this.
For example, when I was in this business we would see all kind of oil related issues in vehicles like BMW as engine design requires high temperatures, longer drives etc. That is what I meant by these vehicles being designed for performance. Driving it like Prius might actually creat and it create issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #26
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post

Unless the OP is driving minimally, and I mean like a 2 mile commute with 1 stoplight, harder braking is likely not going to solve his issue nor is it likely the cause. I have a short commute that's probably 85% highway, minimal light braking, and ample cruise control and I do not experience this. Both sides of my rear rotors were identically clean when I replaced my rear brakes this year, and that's after driving my car half the mileage I usually do per year.

The steps to try and remediate the issue should go from simplest to most complex:

- Turn rotors (can be done for $15 per rotor at O'Relly)

- Clean or replace guide pins, replace guide pin bushings, clean and lubricate caliper carrier and pad riding surfaces

- Inspect caliper boots. Replace caliper if torn.

- Lightly sand brake pads and re-bed brakes (non-ceramic only, don't try to do a re-bed with ceramic)

- Drive for 3-4 months and check again

- If no improvement: replace calipers with rebuilt ($50-$75 each) and bleed brakes

- If still no improvement: replace brake pads and rotors with a quality brand; highly recommend using coated rotors

- If still no improvement: you really must do basically zero braking, or you've got some sort of rare brake pressure proportioning issue where your rear brakes are not producing enough brake pressure. I'd run some diagnostics on your DSC module at that point.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 09-22-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0