E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Reliability (rod bearing problems?)

03-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #89
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Bad fuel or aggressive tuning is the number 1 cause of these fails..

Second is oil flow issues and restrictions/factory quality issues with bearings installed or quality issues when assembling the engine..

Gaskets and other silicon rubber circulating because of a bad oil pan repair and other gaskets in the oil blocking oil flow can also cause bearing fails. Diluted oil as well.

Testing oil is best way to know. That wont tell you restrictions however it might tell you if silicone is high in oil. That could be gasket material.
Your opinion, along with the opinion of others on my logs unfortunately points towards too aggressive of a tune for my fuel. Its a shame because I had been told that the timing corrections were normal and that it was just the knock sensor doing it's job. Since purchasing the car and building it, I have been reading up a ton on turbo tuning and trying to learn as much as possible. Unfortunately I learned about timing and the negative effects of corrections from personal experience rather than the books.
Were you having issue with misfires from a lean condition?
      03-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #90
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
Not at all. I only had one instance of misfires while running my custom tune while burying the go pedal in 2nd gear at around 3k rpm. Car started misfiring on 3 cylinders, limped it to the shoulder, restarted it and everything was fine. Had the custom tune on my car for 2 months/3-4k miles.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #91
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. I only had one instance of misfires while running my custom tune while burying the go pedal in 2nd gear at around 3k rpm. Car started misfiring on 3 cylinders, limped it to the shoulder, restarted it and everything was fine. Had the custom tune on my car for 2 months/3-4k miles.
That's concerning. I started to get misfires from a lack of HPFP pressure using MHD Stage2+. Immediately flashed back to stage2 and have been closely monitoring my fuel pressure. Worried that it may have caused permanent damage. Just got my oil changed and sent it out for analysis, so hoping the report will come back ok. May I ask who you got the tune from and do you have any logs before the engine blew?
      03-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #92
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's concerning. I started to get misfires from a lack of HPFP pressure using MHD Stage2+. Immediately flashed back to stage2 and have been closely monitoring my fuel pressure. Worried that it may have caused permanent damage. Just got my oil changed and sent it out for analysis, so hoping the report will come back ok. May I ask who you got the tune from and do you have any logs before the engine blew?
I'll send you a PM.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #93
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Monitor timing corrections.. alot of timing retard is not a good situation. Say up to 5 degrees on all cylinders or 3-5 degrees on all cylinders . Anything more than 5 is like looking for trouble
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #94
Mistajay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mine dead on HDPE event at 128000 km same sound from the rod

I have a new one install from BMW with extended warranty.

The new one have 40 000 and running perfect. Everything is new and i run redline Oil on it and everything is perfect.

I'm JB4 with BEF with MHD and the car is pushing great with the Pure Stage 1

I need to do some log to optimize it with Terry.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #95
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistajay View Post
Mine dead on HDPE event at 128000 km same sound from the rod

I have a new one install from BMW with extended warranty.

The new one have 40 000 and running perfect. Everything is new and i run redline Oil on it and everything is perfect.

I'm JB4 with BEF with MHD and the car is pushing great with the Pure Stage 1

I need to do some log to optimize it with Terry.
Did you do anything special to break the new motor in? Im considering mimicking BMW's M car break in period of going easy for 1200 miles then doing an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #96
Mistajay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Did you do anything special to break the new motor in? Im considering mimicking BMW's M car break in period of going easy for 1200 miles then doing an oil change.
Yes after 500km i do two HDPE event
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #97
Lincoln Hawk
Rep
Drives: 335I

I now have 500 miles on my second engine in my 2011 335. Car was stock and taken very well care of but engine still spun a bearing. Hope they fixed the issue with the second engine. Not going to buy BMW again
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #98
northbranchroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
I now have 500 miles on my second engine in my 2011 335. Car was stock and taken very well care of but engine still spun a bearing. Hope they fixed the issue with the second engine. Not going to buy BMW again
Mind if I ask what mileage you got the car at, and what mileage is was at when it started knocking? Also was it modded before you got it? Hope the new engine is treating you well!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #99
Lincoln Hawk
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbranchroad View Post
Mind if I ask what mileage you got the car at, and what mileage is was at when it started knocking? Also was it modded before you got it? Hope the new engine is treating you well!
Hi I got it at 77k and it spun the bearing at 83k no mods ever and no mods yet Im afraid to do anyting to it Im afraid of the car since I found out it would be upwards of 10k just for a used engine installed. The dealer blessed me and installed a new n55 out of warranty because they said BMW is aware of the n55 rod bearing issues it was covered. Just hope they fixed whatever the issue was witht the new engines. The dealer also showed me the service history the oil was changed at the dealer every 10k miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #100
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi I got it at 77k and it spun the bearing at 83k no mods ever and no mods yet Im afraid to do anyting to it Im afraid of the car since I found out it would be upwards of 10k just for a used engine installed. The dealer blessed me and installed a new n55 out of warranty because they said BMW is aware of the n55 rod bearing issues it was covered. Just hope they fixed whatever the issue was witht the new engines. The dealer also showed me the service history the oil was changed at the dealer every 10k miles...
Whoa what? I work for a BMW dealership and I was told BMW would do absolutely nothing for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #101
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Quote:
What was the original build date on your 335i? When did BMW replace you engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #102
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

I call BS on them just doing it for free. Plus if true, I would think getting $15,000.00 gift would earn some brand loyalty, As for the cause, well 10,000 mile oil changes.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 04-02-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #103
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
I call BS on them just doing it for free. Plus if true, I would think getting $15,000.00 gift would earn some brand loyalty, As for the cause, well 10,000 mile oil changes.
I agree. Customer cost of a new N55 install is closer to $22,000 and BMW has NOT claimed ANY known issues with the N55 bearings. Even if they did think there was something going on, I highly doubt they would open up about it and tell customers. There are a lot of N55 cars new and CPO still for sale from BMW so if word got out that they knew something was up that would be risky for sales.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #104
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Yeah I was being generous at 15k and yes I agree. BMW has never acknowledged any issues and all claims of such an issue have only been anecdotal.

We had a local dealer tech who claimed that it happened often and so I asked a buddy who was a tech at a far larger dealer in Austin and he had only seen one failure on a low mileage X5 that was well maintained and in his opinion it was just a fluke.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #105
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Absolute NONSENSE !! I dont buy any of it. And i know you dont care but i think all others in here should not believe this.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #106
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

We would hear all over the internet.. the N55 is used on almost all BMW platforms.. people STOP saying its an issue with this engine..

Either 1 : Bad tune
2: Bad maintenance
3 : Manufacturing Defect (Rare)

But to say its a "design" issue.. nonsense.

To add: if anything the stock tune is too aggressive for 91. So bad gas can cause this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #107
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
We would hear all over the internet.. the N55 is used on almost all BMW platforms.. people STOP saying its an issue with this engine..

Either 1 : Bad tune
2: Bad maintenance
3 : Manufacturing Defect (Rare)

But to say its a "design" issue.. nonsense.
I agree with you 100%. The only way we would be able to claim a manufacturing defect or design error is if there was a correlation between the failures. Though, I have only seen/heard of these failures happening on 2011 cars. I have yet to see any rod bearing issues on newer N55s.

Also, if the stock tune is too aggressive for what is considered "top tier" fuel in many areas, then I would say that is absolutely a design issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #108
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

Soo... My car has 62 thousand kilometers now.

I have had it since new, since it rolled out of the dealer.

By now I have replaced:
- Entire suspension
- around 10 times all rotors
- dct oil pan along with dct oil
- diff sealings
- radiator
- coolant reservoir
- sealing on all coolant related stuff
- water pump

Now looking at:
- diff mounts
- something about the pulley

I do not consider this to be that well made car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #109
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post

By now I have replaced:
- Entire suspension
- diff sealings
- radiator
- coolant reservoir
- water pump

Now looking at:
- diff mounts

62k Kilometers and you've replaced all that? I'm at 58k MILES and have only done half of that stuff. You must really be beating on it if you've been through 10 sets of rotors. Either that or you take preventative maintenance to a whole new level.
      04-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #110
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post

By now I have replaced:
- Entire suspension
- diff sealings
- radiator
- coolant reservoir
- water pump

Now looking at:
- diff mounts

I can't imagine how you've gone through 10 sets of rotors unless you actually race your car on track often?

Entire suspension? You must have rough roads over there, in that case your car is putting up with a beating!
What exactly does "entire suspension" entail here? Was it all worn or just for an upgrade?
I can't imagine bushings are stuffed that soon, I'm at 160000km and haven't even been able to wear out my stock control arms despite my car being on coilovers and frequently driven hard. While it's possible my control arms were replaced by a past owner I don't think so, they are TRW branded but are NOT the M3 ones.
Appreciate 0