E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler for winter? + maintenance questions

06-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Intercooler for winter? + maintenance questions

I know similar questions have been asked, but there was never a clear answer. Temperatures then are gonna be around 70 this august when I start modding. By November, temperatures will drop below 50 (North PA). I'll already have saved up enough to go FBO for next summer, so till then, will I need an intercooler? I want to have max power gains with minimal wear. So my upgrade path seems to be JB4 -> downpipes -> CP,hks BOV. Then FMIC next year. Also, PE mod for sound

The car is my daily driver. I'll be spending most of my time at stock boost level or even with the turbos disabled, save for the occasional agressiveness when going through back roads I'm on college student budget, so I need to maximize reliability.
As for maintenance, the car has 110k now. I replaced the water pump, valve cover gasket, coils and plugs in the last 2000 miles. I'll do a walnut blasting soon (recomendations for where to do it for cheap is welcomed) HPFP seems to be in good shape. Anything else I need to do?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishj View Post
I know similar questions have been asked, but there was never a clear answer. Temperatures then are gonna be around 70 this august when I start modding. By November, temperatures will drop below 50 (North PA). I'll already have saved up enough to go FBO for next summer, so till then, will I need an intercooler? I want to have max power gains with minimal wear. So my upgrade path seems to be JB4 -> downpipes -> CP,hks BOV. Then FMIC next year. Also, PE mod for sound

The car is my daily driver. I'll be spending most of my time at stock boost level or even with the turbos disabled, save for the occasional agressiveness when going through back roads I'm on college student budget, so I need to maximize reliability.
As for maintenance, the car has 110k now. I replaced the water pump, valve cover gasket, coils and plugs in the last 2000 miles. I'll do a walnut blasting soon (recomendations for where to do it for cheap is welcomed) HPFP seems to be in good shape. Anything else I need to do?
You did not mention fuel injectors. If you are not running index 12s, start saving.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #3
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Would it be wise then to do the mods first then replace the injectors when they start failing? I'll have the budget to do so by next year, keeping in mind that I barely drive 5000 miles a year these days?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Modifying in the middle of summer is pointless if you aren't doing an intercooler, thats first mod when you tune it without a doubt.

Thats all my car has and I love it, intercooler and tune.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So for now; tune -> intercooler -> dci -> dp -> cp+bov
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
So for now; tune -> intercooler -> dci -> dp -> cp+bov
usually CP is what you do first because they are known to blow when upping the boost

i would skip the downpipes and use that money to get a custom tune ( if you are looking to make some power ). Custom tune is a much bigger bang for your buck

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC-Charge Pipe-DCI-Inlets/ TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP / E50 Custom Tune by WedgePerformance / APEX ARC8 / MT ET Street / 11.69 @ 118 / Instagram @silent11n54
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thing is, I'll be spending most of my time on stock maps/stage 1. I will switch to other maps only for the occasional thrill or when the fart can civics are in sight
I am eventually going to go FBO or even upgraded turbos, so I might get the custom tune after that or I will have to pay for tuning twice.
Money is short because my priority is making the car a good daily, and audio stuff is expensive too.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf imagetopdf.pdf (1.93 MB, 124 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Thing is, I'll be spending most of my time on stock maps/stage 1. I will switch to other maps only for the occasional thrill or when the fart can civics are in sight
I am eventually going to go FBO or even upgraded turbos, so I might get the custom tune after that or I will have to pay for tuning twice.
Money is short because my priority is making the car a good daily, and audio stuff is expensive too.
if thats the case you can run any tune without any of the parts mentioned.

i ran e25 maps for 6 months without a single mod , just watch your IAT temps.

just get a charge pipe and load stage 1, i dont see a reason go to back and forth from s1 to stock, the difference is minor.

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC-Charge Pipe-DCI-Inlets/ TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP / E50 Custom Tune by WedgePerformance / APEX ARC8 / MT ET Street / 11.69 @ 118 / Instagram @silent11n54
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #9
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I think the CP will have to wait. It was replaced with an OEM one not too ago. Now it boils down to which would provide more power and drive better; stage 1+ or stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason to run stock or lesser tunes, the car doesn't have any ill effects from running more aggressive tunes daily and they take too long to flash to do it 'on the fly' like you suggest. Run the tune you want and keep your foot out of it, the dme learns, switching tunes all the time will be counterproductive to whatever reason you have for wanting to run lesser tunes.

I get better mpg on stage2+ than i do stock or stage 1, so I don't really see the point, just complicating things for no reason

Quote:
I think the CP will have to wait. It was replaced with an OEM one not too ago. Now it boils down to which would provide more power and drive better; stage 1+ or stage 2.
1+ is the more aggressive map of the two, because its built for an intercooler. If you dont have an intercooler, I wouldn't bother as its just going to be pulling timing through corrections until you install one. Install dp + intercooler and run 2+, done.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
1+ is the more aggressive map of the two, because its built for an intercooler. If you dont have an intercooler, I wouldn't bother as its just going to be pulling timing through corrections until you install one. Install dp + intercooler and run 2+, done.
What I meant by that is either I get the intercooler or the downpipes. The map I run will depend on which one I get. I've seen conflicting info, so I do not know which one provides makes for a better drive, not just more power. And puts less stress on my turbos too...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
What I meant by that is either I get the intercooler or the downpipes. The map I run will depend on which one I get. I've seen conflicting info, so I do not know which one provides makes for a better drive, not just more power. And puts less stress on my turbos too...
Intercooler is hands down more important. It's not even close.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00