E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Greyed out & voice command not working

09-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Bluetooth Greyed out & voice command not working

Had my battery disconnected briefly yesterday and now Bluetooth isnt working. Bluetooth option in iDrive phone menu is greyed out & voice command isn't working either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by joelc73; 09-13-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelc73 View Post
Had my battery disconnected briefly yesterday and now Bluetooth isnt working. Bluetooth option in phone menu is greyed out & voice command isn't working either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
I would guess that you do not have iDrive.

Your TCU somehow is not powering up, that's where both the Bluetooth and the Voice Control are; try to call Assist as well, I bet that it is not working either.

Unplug the TCU -including the MOST connector- and re-plug to see if you can get it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would guess that you do not have iDrive.

Your TCU somehow is not powering up, that's where both the Bluetooth and the Voice Control are; try to call Assist as well, I bet that it is not working either.

Unplug the TCU -including the MOST connector- and re-plug to see if you can get it back.
Hi Technic

I do actually have iDrive. I tried resetting (holding power button for 25 seconds) but it didn't seem to help.

What's strange is, when you pick phone/options in iDrive, the bluetooth check box is unchecked and greyed out.

Should I try unplugging the TCU? And BTW, what and where is the TCU?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Technic

I do actually have iDrive. I tried resetting (holding power button for 25 seconds) but it didn't seem to help.

What's strange is, when you pick phone/options in iDrive, the bluetooth check box is unchecked and greyed out.

Should I try unplugging the TCU? And BTW, what and where is the TCU?
Bluetooth is in the TCU, but having iDrive means that the VC is in your iDrive computer. So something is really out of whack here.

Can you make an Assist call?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bluetooth is in the TCU, but having iDrive means that the VC is in your iDrive computer. So something is really out of whack here.

Can you make an Assist call?
No, the SOS icon comes up when I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep

PM's Technic and got it figured out - Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
jkaero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Im having the same issue...what ended up being the solution?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep

I added Technic's harness but didn't move the MOST cable over. Doing that fixed it. You may have a problem somewhere in your MOST network.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
stevetech
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe (e92)

This started happening the moment I started the car after I got it back from a New DMF + CLUTCH Installed... not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

Hey Technic! I need your help! Having the same problem!!!

Quote:
I added Technic's harness but didn't move the MOST cable over. Doing that fixed it. You may have a problem somewhere in your MOST network.
I'm still not understanding what the solution was.

Would appreciate any help!

So far I've tried....
removing the negative connection to the battery for about 10 minutes... nothing. Should I try for longer?
unplugged all connections to the TCU for about an hour and plugged it back in.... still nothing...

I'm at a complete LOSS!

btw it is an 07 328xi Coupe with idrive, I'm unable to contact BMW assist, and bluetooth communication checkbox is unchecked and all grayed out.

Feel free to email me at stevesy710@gmail.com directly or text me at 515-710-1253.

Last edited by stevetech; 12-05-2011 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
stevetech
Registered
Rep

heeeeelllllppp!!!! still no luck trying everything I can think of..... last thing I want to do is get raped at the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetech View Post
This started happening the moment I started the car after I got it back from a New DMF + CLUTCH Installed... not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

Hey Technic! I need your help! Having the same problem!!!

I'm still not understanding what the solution was.

Would appreciate any help!

So far I've tried....
removing the negative connection to the battery for about 10 minutes... nothing. Should I try for longer?
unplugged all connections to the TCU for about an hour and plugged it back in.... still nothing...

I'm at a complete LOSS!

btw it is an 07 328xi Coupe with idrive, I'm unable to contact BMW assist, and bluetooth communication checkbox is unchecked and all grayed out.

Feel free to email me at stevesy710@gmail.com directly or text me at 515-710-1253.
The MOST ring (fiber optics cables) is broken somewhere in your car. Meaning, one or several of the fiber optics cables in your car are unplugged from its device. Whatever was done in your car may have unplugged a fiber optic connector somewhere.

Another possibility: check the fuses of all the MOST devices in your car (TCU, Logic7 OEM amp, MULF, iPod adapter, CD Changer, etc). One of them could be blown.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
stevetech
Registered
Rep

Quote:
The MOST ring (fiber optics cables) is broken somewhere in your car. Meaning, one or several of the fiber optics cables in your car are unplugged from its device. Whatever was done in your car may have unplugged a fiber optic connector somewhere.

Another possibility: check the fuses of all the MOST devices in your car (TCU, Logic7 OEM amp, MULF, iPod adapter, CD Changer, etc). One of them could be blown.
Audio from CD/Radio still works fine if that rules out anything. Also I looked at the fiber optics connection and it has a solid red beam but blinks once then goes back to solid and keeps repeating that pattern.

Thanks I have checked all fuses in the glove box and the fuses in the white box up front. No CD Changer. All are fine.

Where should I start with? Any idea what part of the MOST ring would even possibly be broken/removed while they put in the new clutch?

Last edited by stevetech; 12-18-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

bump

whats the solution for this? and where is the fiber optic cable in the car? im confused
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
gshienh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011

Lightbulb bmw 328xi 2011

The same problem happened to me. Bluetooth grayed out. I didnt disconnect the battery though. What I did to fix it was unplugged USB devices(cable and usb drive) and unplugged aux cable. Bluetooth worked after that, seems like the cable was short circuited and protection mechanism kicked in to save other modules.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
ryk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D Convertible

Same issue. Phone worked perfectly. Took it in for a 'Fault Recall' and when the car was returned the bluetooth was greyed out!

Dealership trying to say it is a hardware failure of an ECU unit. No way... they connected the car diagnostics and either that screwed the bluetooth or they screwed it up somehow when doing the 'Fault Recall' work - maybe they unplugged the battery or they dislodged a wire somewhere and failed to reconnect it.

But I do know from connecting an OBDII reader since that there is a fault in the CCC unit (according to Carly but I'm told by someone on e90post that should be the CIC unit as 2011 models do not have a CCC but a CIC) in that:
the MASK is not set up correctly. It has an error code: "00E1CF Central Registry is incorrect."

Trouble is I don't know what that error code means.

Any info on that code from anyone??
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #16
juleshue
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i, 1999 BMW 328is

Quote:

I'm aware how old this thread is, but I'm at wits end.

I've diagnosed the MOST system and I cannot get any signal (optical red light) at the final termination under the dash (E92).

I've confirmed there is signal being received up to the satellite radio module, even bypassed it with a MOST bypass loop without any success.

Would you happen to know the fuses for each of the modules? Or if you have any other ideas
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
bruhminator
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

did anyone figure out where the fiber optic cable(s) was/were? I'm struggling with this too
Appreciate 0