E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MULF to Combox Help.

01-17-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
Mkals
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d E90

MULF to Combox Help.

Hello.

I recently take a Combox to install on my car. My e90 have one module but i dont know if it is Mulf, TCU or something like that. I only have Aux on central console, microphone for only bluetooth calls and nothing more.
A little search here, i found many post but no one have the same module that mine.
Then i have some question, if someone could help me i appreciated.
1- Where Aux will connect?
2- On module connect i have pin 11 (Blue/Black) and pin 32 (White/Balck) and all post no one talks about that pins?(1img)
3- What is the single connect on other side of the module. (2img)
4- What do combox connectors correspond to? (3img)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 10:47 PM   #2
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

the module you have currently looks like a first generation MULF (this only installed on 2006 cars)
your single connect on the other side is your bluetooth antenna connection

I believe the blue and black connectors in your picture are GPS antenna connection and backup antenna connection, which applies to TCU, which is irrelevant for your car because you don't have the wiring for. the beige/cream connector is for USB playback, which applies to MULF2

there is really no point getting a combox for your car since your car only came equipped with wiring for bluetooth call

the combox's job is to combine the functionality of both the TCU (which handles BMW assist/crash detection and bluetooth calling), MULF (which handles USB media playback, bluetooth calling, and voice recognition), with the additional functionality of bluetoth music streaming provided your car is equipped with idrive (CIC generation), which I suspect your car is not equipped with since it only came with GEN 1 MULF
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #3
Mkals
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9116 View Post
the module you have currently looks like a first generation MULF (this only installed on 2006 cars)
your single connect on the other side is your bluetooth antenna connection

I believe the blue and black connectors in your picture are GPS antenna connection and backup antenna connection, which applies to TCU, which is irrelevant for your car because you don't have the wiring for. the beige/cream connector is for USB playback, which applies to MULF2

there is really no point getting a combox for your car since your car only came equipped with wiring for bluetooth call

the combox's job is to combine the functionality of both the TCU (which handles BMW assist/crash detection and bluetooth calling), MULF (which handles USB media playback, bluetooth calling, and voice recognition), with the additional functionality of bluetoth music streaming provided your car is equipped with idrive (CIC generation), which I suspect your car is not equipped with since it only came with GEN 1 MULF
Thanks a lot for your time. Yh my car on stock just has only the professional radio, without idrive. But i retrofit a CIC on my car one year a go.
Anyway i already have combox working on my car. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #4
vitorsilva82
Rep
Drives: f 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkals View Post
Thanks a lot for your time. Yh my car on stock just has only the professional radio, without idrive. But i retrofit a CIC on my car one year a go.
Anyway i already have combox working on my car. Thank you
I have the same problem, help
Appreciate 0