E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Diesel treatment any good?

03-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Mr Rauf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d

Diesel treatment any good?

Hi everyone

Thinking about getting a bottle of these Diesel treatments for my e90 320d from halfrauds. Does anyone use these with any improvements noticed? What brand?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
My advice would be just stick to using premium fuels (Shell VPower or BP Ultimate). I used a diesel treatment in a previous car and it played havoc with the DPF.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Answer for me comes in 2 parts. Firstly as Phil's stated start with the raw ingredient namely fuel, use the decent stuff from Shell, BP, Esso and always ensure there's fuel in the tank before you fill up(therefore if you can don't allow the car to run low on fuel and hit reserve)these are things you can do to preserve the efficiency of your car plus you can long term reduce the risk of unnecessary expense.

The second part of the question relates to the additives, we sell additives but not additives you can buy retail i.e. buy over the counter like Halfords, they'll sell STP, Wynns, Redex all well known brands to be fair. We sell Forte and have done TunAp which is only done fir the trade. Question is do they work? Well on the diesels when we do a DPF Regen with diagnostic we have been advised to put a bottle of the treatment in the tank as its said to assist. For DPF's it's a preventive measure more than anything else the aim is to cleanse the "fuel system" to ensure contamination is kept to a controlled minimum. But as Phil's said you can do some of this by using decent fuel.
      03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

I looked into this a few years ago, my conclusion was the the others were not worth bothering with and Forte was the one to go for, not cheap, but works.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Mr Rauf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d

Thanks for the advice guys.

I reading up on Millers Ecomax and it seems to have really good reviews from bmw owners on other forums etc. Might have to give it a go, unless Forte is better to go for?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I looked into this a few years ago, my conclusion was the the others were not worth bothering with and Forte was the one to go for, not cheap, but works.
Fuel additives are a bit of a grey area ive always wondered where I work we sell the Forte stuff(previously sold the TunAp stuff)these company's sign of the same hym sheet they'll never distribute direct over the counter to the public via Halfords etc. but the products they sell are recommended for us in tge trade to use to "assist us"should we have a csr with a particular issue, pre DPF regen process or after questioning a customer if they've run the car low of fuel, used suspect, known or poor quality diesel we use it as a preventive measure or when we have a fuel, DPF or injection related issue to deal with.

From memory the very subject of fuel additives has been tacked in AutoCar and I seem to remember 5th Gear doing a test on TV some years ago(though can't remember if thiscwas diesel or petrol)but the tests test came back on all the big names were uncomplemntry) as said overall for me we only use the stuff to assist us the thing a customer of ours can do is moving forward is decent fuel, don't let the tank get too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rauf View Post
Thanks for the advice guys.

I reading up on Millers Ecomax and it seems to have really good reviews from bmw owners on other forums etc. Might have to give it a go, unless Forte is better to go for?
BMW's additive for diesel is manufactured from memory by Forte under licence is sold in smaller bottles and retails for more than the larger Forte item.cant speak about Millers sadly.
      03-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

I use millers ecomax supposed to add a couple of cetanes to the fuel as well. I use diesel redex on everything else and I know from experience this does keep the injectors clean
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I use the products by Powerenhancer ... BG244 and Archoil AR6400-D (the newer version). They claim to be the best and aren't sold in Halfords. They get good write ups and the distributor talks about the contents being far stronger than the stuff you buy in Halfords.

I have used them in both diesel and petrol. Have to say the petrol one made the wife's car far smoother after about 50 miles in the tank but I think it was well clogged up after 50K of town driving !
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

i use Forte, have on previous cars and do in the 335d - you can easily get Forte on eBay.
Appreciate 0