E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > H7 LED upgrade

12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #67
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

Just an update, I coded out the dipped beam voltage check using my Carly app and adaptor. No more flickering when the ignition is on! :-)
      12-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #68
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Anyone got any daytime photos of the Led's ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #69
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

I just put LED in my halogens on my f10. I bought N7 LEDs and I must say I'm quite impressed. They were only 30 quid. 6000k so a bit blue for my liking but they are better than the halogens. Nice cut off too in the projector lights.

Had to modify the lamp holder slightly but nothing that would prevent it all going back to standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #70
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Dust cover with modified heatsink and hole cut. The heatsink is reversable but will not fit when the other way round as it catches on the clip that holds the bulb in. If we could've simply turned it around this would've made things sooo much easier!
Have you had any issues with heat or the dust cover melting?
Looking to install my leds shortly, i hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #71
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Have you had any issues with heat or the dust cover melting?
Looking to install my leds shortly, i hope.
No issues with anything melting - well not to my knowledge as I haven't looked. However, I do now have quite a bad condensation problem on the inside of one of the lenses. This is due to the fact that when we fitted the first led, it was all a bit trial and error. This resulted in the first one being slightly botched! We didn't drill the hole in the dust cover in the correct place. It was slightly too high which meant the cables were getting trapped between the dust cover and the heatsink, and so preventing the dust cover from fitting back on properly. We ended up drilling another small hole for one of the cables. I did put some silicone around it to try and seal it but the dust cover was still a tight fit and I guess not air tight, hence the condensation.
When we installed the second led we had learnt from our mistakes and drilled the hole slightly lower. This made all the difference as the gromit fitted perfectly with the cables running through it and not catching on the heatsink which in turn allowed the dust cover to fit back on perfectly. I have had no issues at all with the second one.
Today I have ordered another dust cover from bmw and will have another go to try and make it the same as the good one. At the same time I will adjust the bulb position to try and improve the beam pattern, as mentioned in previous posts. Just got to muster up the motivation to do it cos it's just such a ball ache having to remove the wheels and arch liners to get to them. And being the middle of winter it's bloody cold!
The condensation is really annoying though, so I will get it done, and report back on how everything is.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #72
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

Quote:
No issues with anything melting - well not to my knowledge as I haven't looked. However, I do now have quite a bad condensation problem on the inside of one of the lenses. This is due to the fact that when we fitted the first led, it was all a bit trial and error. This resulted in the first one being slightly botched! We didn't drill the hole in the dust cover in the correct place. It was slightly too high which meant the cables were getting trapped between the dust cover and the heatsink, and so preventing the dust cover from fitting back on properly. We ended up drilling another small hole for one of the cables. I did put some silicone around it to try and seal it but the dust cover was still a tight fit and I guess not air tight, hence the condensation.
When we installed the second led we had learnt from our mistakes and drilled the hole slightly lower. This made all the difference as the gromit fitted perfectly with the cables running through it and not catching on the heatsink which in turn allowed the dust cover to fit back on perfectly. I have had no issues at all with the second one.
Today I have ordered another dust cover from bmw and will have another go to try and make it the same as the good one. At the same time I will adjust the bulb position to try and improve the beam pattern, as mentioned in previous posts. Just got to muster up the motivation to do it cos it's just such a ball ache having to remove the wheels and arch liners to get to them. And being the middle of winter it's bloody cold!
The condensation is really annoying though, so I will get it done, and report back on how everything is.
I hope you get it sorted, I too have a little bit of a condensation problem with my nearside headlight. Caused by me not sealing the rubber grommit properly. I had a haolgen builders light thing in the garage left from the pervious owner of my house, i poppped it onto a bucket so it was level with the headlight and left it shining light into it for 20 minutes, moving it every so often. Worked a treat to remove the condensation. I stupidly did not open up the bulb cover so the damp air had knowhere to go. so it's comeback, not as bad as before though.

I plan to do it again when I change my brakes in a couple of weeks, same process, just with a bulb cover open at the back, will also get a heatgun or hair dryer and shoot some warm air in to hopefully get rid of it once and for all! If after that I get problems again, i'm going to get some new bulb covers, take the balasts out and then chop and then re-solder the connectors on after if fed them through the bulb cover through tiny holes, rather than one big one. Fingers crossed I don't need to do that much faffing!

Apart from that, i've got the bulb pattern ok, they're both level and facing the right way, you just don't get the same cut off as you would in projector lenses. still very happy with them.
      01-17-2018, 03:31 AM   #73
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
I hope you get it sorted, I too have a little bit of a condensation problem with my nearside headlight. Caused by me not sealing the rubber grommit properly. I had a haolgen builders light thing in the garage left from the pervious owner of my house, i poppped it onto a bucket so it was level with the headlight and left it shining light into it for 20 minutes, moving it every so often. Worked a treat to remove the condensation. I stupidly did not open up the bulb cover so the damp air had knowhere to go. so it's comeback, not as bad as before though.

I plan to do it again when I change my brakes in a couple of weeks, same process, just with a bulb cover open at the back, will also get a heatgun or hair dryer and shoot some warm air in to hopefully get rid of it once and for all! If after that I get problems again, i'm going to get some new bulb covers, take the balasts out and then chop and then re-solder the connectors on after if fed them through the bulb cover through tiny holes, rather than one big one. Fingers crossed I don't need to do that much faffing!

Apart from that, i've got the bulb pattern ok, they're both level and facing the right way, you just don't get the same cut off as you would in projector lenses. still very happy with them.
Morning Chaps,

I have this same issue, though I knew it would be as I'd not sealed up the dust covers like you have. That said, I plan to go back to this when its not cold and wet and generally minging outside! The plan is to remove the headlights, polish the lens, fit the LED fogs, fit LED main beams and properly seal to avoid this misting issue.

Probably won't be for a little while, maybe a month or 2 as I will be moving back down south but I will update the thread when I do....

Also, anyone know why one of my angel eye rings has a yellow tinge even though its lit with an LED? (not all of the ring, say about a 3rd)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #74
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Morning Chaps,

I have this same issue, though I knew it would be as I'd not sealed up the dust covers like you have. That said, I plan to go back to this when its not cold and wet and generally minging outside! The plan is to remove the headlights, polish the lens, fit the LED fogs, fit LED main beams and properly seal to avoid this misting issue.

Probably won't be for a little while, maybe a month or 2 as I will be moving back down south but I will update the thread when I do....

Also, anyone know why one of my angel eye rings has a yellow tinge even though its lit with an LED? (not all of the ring, say about a 3rd)
Yeah, I think the trick is to do it on a day where the humidity is low so the air going back into the headlights is not damp to begin with! I think we all chose the wrong time of year to be messing about with our headlights!

With regards to the Halo ring, i'm not sure but I have seen other cars with aftermarket LED bulbs in their halogen headlights witht he same thing. Mine are ok for the moment.
      01-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #75
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

Want to try and get installed, it carnt be easy to get the holes in exactly the right place.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #76
fernando155
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Anyone got any daytime photos of the Led's ?
yes.

They are in medium power. For uk is enough, because all the time is cloudy.

I bought it in horizon leds (the golden ones) and they are perfects. No holes, they come with the conversion kit... happy.

ABout the normal bulbs... I'm just thinking to change it as well. I'm driving always on night, and with the halogens i coundn't see anything... maybe they are low, but even with a goods ones, they are not going so far away.

I'm just worried about if is legal or not, because the glare and all this storys...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:57 AM   #77
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

Funadmentally, the E90 halogen headlights are rubbish IMO.

The LED H7 bulbs have improved it somewhat, but they're still not as good Projector headlights or even some other reflector setups from other cars!
      01-19-2018, 04:14 AM   #78
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando155 View Post
yes.
I'm just worried about if is legal or not, because the glare and all this storys...
I've had my H7 LED's on a MOT testing rig over at my friends garage and he said the beams were good and no concern for MOT. Glare is also not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #79
fernando155
Rep

Quote:
I've had my H7 LED's on a MOT testing rig over at my friends garage and he said the beams were good and no concern for MOT. Glare is also not a problem.
I'm going now to do the service. I tell them if they can check lights because I see it really low. Lets see what happens, but as I can read, nothing is gonna change. So in that case my next step is the LED lights. I really hate driving every night without see anything at all...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #80
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm going now to do the service. I tell them if they can check lights because I see it really low. Lets see what happens, but as I can read, nothing is gonna change. So in that case my next step is the LED lights. I really hate driving every night without see anything at all...
I know how you feel. I went from a Focus ST with xenons to my 330d with candles! The halogens really are hopeless.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #81
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Will these fit down the long hole of the e90 xenon adaptive headlights?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #82
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Will these fit down the long hole of the e90 xenon adaptive headlights?
No idea I'm afraid, they were designed as a replacement for H7 Halogens so I don't know if they would even fit, let alone be in the right position to work properly. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #83
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No idea I'm afraid, they were designed as a replacement for H7 Halogens so I don't know if they would even fit, let alone be in the right position to work properly. Sorry.
It's for the high beams which are h7 halogen. Just they got into a hole using a plastic stick. I'll try to get a pic later
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #84
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
It's for the high beams which are h7 halogen. Just they got into a hole using a plastic stick. I'll try to get a pic later
So wait, the Adaptive Xenons are just low beam only?! Wow, never knew that!

I just had a look at the following video just to understand what you meant -

That looks really tight, I don't think you would get the heatsink of say, the unit I used in there but you might have luck with a unit that has the ribbon type heatsink.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #85
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That looks really tight, I don't think you would get the heatsink of say, the unit I used in there but you might have luck with a unit that has the ribbon type heatsink.
Yup just the low beam is xenon. Ok I'll look into a ribbon type. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #86
fernando155
Rep

Quote:

He has the xenon lights. You post the bi-xenon. The xenon lights its only a xenon in the low a h7 halogen in the hi. The bi-xenon are both.

In theory, if you want change the high, is just a clip like ours. But is simple, go and check what do you have. The easy one is the passanger side.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #87
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He has the xenon lights. You post the bi-xenon. The xenon lights its only a xenon in the low a h7 halogen in the hi. The bi-xenon are both.

In theory, if you want change the high, is just a clip like ours. But is simple, go and check what do you have. The easy one is the passanger side.
Hm. I'll have to see, as I'm pretty sure they plastic piece with the stick is what clips into the housing. I'll have to check though
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #88
2010E92LCI
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Nice write up. Thanks for this. Wonder if you could pass an MOT with those.

I would love to see this done for projector halogens. Perhaps I should buy them and try it. Projector's with a halogen bulb are even worse than reflectors with a halogen bulbs
Completely agree. With the new changes for MOT, it'd be interesting to see if they do pass the MOT. Let us know how you get on when you do have the MOT done.
Appreciate 0