E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > H7 LED upgrade

03-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #133
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Well just been over my mates garage and had the beams checked. The kick up has been improved but he did have to adjust the height of the beams as the N/S was a little low and the O/S was a little high. After the adjustment the beams are not perfect but they are absolutely fine and completely MOT compliant. Also looks like I've cured the condensation problem as well. Result
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #134
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Just a bit of info from my point of view,

Iv got Nighteyes LED bulbs in my e91 (xenon headlights) after having good results with them in my Ford Focus low beams I thought I’d give them a go in the Bmw’s high beam only.

First off what a pain to try figure out how to get the high beam out of the headlight! I was literally 2 mins away from dropping the bumper and removing the headlight haha!

Fitted the bulbs and as soon as I put the ignition on they did a police like flicker few flashes left right ect , so plugged the laptop in and switched off the bulb check, so that’s that sorted.

They are a bright light that match the HID colour much better, they have a really good spread of light but sadly they defo don’t shine as Far Down the road as the normal 55w halogens did, ok I know they are only 36W bulbs. But if your after a decent high beam bulb I think the orsma night breakers are still a better high beam bulb, not as nice looking with a slightly yellow tinge but defo light up further down the road!

Just some info for some people
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #135
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Well just been over my mates garage and had the beams checked. The kick up has been improved but he did have to adjust the height of the beams as the N/S was a little low and the O/S was a little high. After the adjustment the beams are not perfect but they are absolutely fine and completely MOT compliant. Also looks like I've cured the condensation problem as well. Result
That's great news about the condensation and sounds like that's the headlight beams all sorted now.

I've found the following which look like a good buy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenClick-...lbs+h7+led+44w

Although they don't have the adjustable collar to adjust the rotation of the bulb section within the housing.

That's interesting Jack thanks for sharing your findings with the main beam LED bulbs. Were you able to experiment with rotating the bulbs at all to see if that improved the distance/throw of the main beam? I've seen some Ring Xenon 150% bulbs so wonder if they would be any better in main beam than the night breakers? I've had night breakers before in dipped beam, and although not much in it, I prefer the Ring xenon 120% bulbs over them and find them very slightly less yellow.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #136
avi312singh
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
I got the Horizon ones, although they look the same... and cheaper!
I've ordered the same ones as you

Did they pass the mot (Horizon LED H7 upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #137
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi312singh View Post
I've ordered the same ones as you

Did they pass the mot (Horizon LED H7 upgrade)
Not had an MOT yet, not due until late October.

I don't see why they won't though, the beam pattern is fine.
      04-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #138
avi312singh
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
Not had an MOT yet, not due until late October.

I don't see why they won't though, the beam pattern is fine.
Ahh ok no worries mate

I'm worried a lot because three garages I went to today said the MOT would have failed with my HID kit that I had installed for the low beams, due to the incorrect beam pattern that they are displaying on the reflector instruments

All of them recommended I take my HID kit out and put it in halogens, so I had halogen installed today

I pit the HID kit in by myself so I wouldn't have any problem do it by myself normally, but I'm in a situation right now where time is really limited and therefore just paid the garage a tenner to out in halogens and align the headlights

However I currently had LED AE's installed and the car looks really silly with halogen low beams and LED AE so I ordered these H7's that you said you ordered previously in the thread (got a pair for 80 quid)

I have ordered the H7 LEDS after reading through this thread today, so I will report back and see what the garage says after installing them whether it would pass the MOT, as my retest needs to be done by Monday!!

It's really strange as the same HID kit passed last year so they must have changed the rules this year
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #139
Aaronexx
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I've just purchased some of these, but I'm confused, but where does the wire(s) plug in to?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:19 AM   #140
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronexx View Post
I've just purchased some of these, but I'm confused, but where does the wire(s) plug in to?
The wire that you unplugged from the original bulb supplies the power to the LED power converter and from there to the bulb.

Throw up a pic if you're still having trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #141
bmwDon2018
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hey guys! I purchased and installed one of the LED kits from HorizonLEDs. My 2013 BMW X1 has plenty of room inside the headlight housing and was able to fit the LED driver inside and didn’t have to cut the dust caps. However, will this produce too much heat or will I be ok?. The LED driver is sitting nicely on the bottom of the headlight housing away from the back of the LED heat dissipation fins. It seems like there is enough room but I wasn’t sure if it is ok.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #142
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwDon2018 View Post
Hey guys! I purchased and installed one of the LED kits from HorizonLEDs. My 2013 BMW X1 has plenty of room inside the headlight housing and was able to fit the LED driver inside and didn’t have to cut the dust caps. However, will this produce too much heat or will I be ok?. The LED driver is sitting nicely on the bottom of the headlight housing away from the back of the LED heat dissipation fins. It seems like there is enough room but I wasn’t sure if it is ok.
I'd say you're probably fine, the halogen bulbs kick out so much heat the housing gets pretty warm to the touch and its fine with that however, you'd be the first to do this so let us know how you get on!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #143
bmwDon2018
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
I'd say you're probably fine, the halogen bulbs kick out so much heat the housing gets pretty warm to the touch and its fine with that however, you'd be the first to do this so let us know how you get on!!
I sent those pictures to HorizonLEDs and asked them about the install. They said it would be perfectly fine installed like that
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #144
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Any updates on this?? People who have them fitted care to update on any issues etc??

Nights are drawing in again now, so it's on my mind again.

Especially like to hear from any e9* Halogen owners who have swapped to these LED bulbs/kits.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:27 AM   #145
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Not an e90 but I've had LED fitted to my halogen (projector) f10 since January and no issues whatsoever. Sailed through MOT.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:06 AM   #146
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tempted by these as they have no extra driver units and are plug n play apparently.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253652041076
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #147
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
Tempted by these as they have no extra driver units and are plug n play apparently.

Nice find though I wouldn't be too sure about the lack of additional units, you will need the CANBUS units otherwise you'll throw errors - https://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/...kits/H7-ledkit

They might fit in the headlight housing though....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #148
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any updates on this?? People who have them fitted care to update on any issues etc??

Nights are drawing in again now, so it's on my mind again.

Especially like to hear from any e9* Halogen owners who have swapped to these LED bulbs/kits.
Mine are still working fine! Had no issues other than what I've mentioned earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #149
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

I'm looking into upgrading the H7 main beam bulb. I have OEM xenon headlights. Currently, the main beams are halogen but the xenon adjusts to main beam at the same time. I don't think it is a great look having the yellow halogen next to the xenon bulb when using main beams. Will these LED H7 bulbs people are fitting fit inside the OEM xenon headlight okay?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:55 AM   #150
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fitted these

on Saturday, not had a chance to test them out really yet. Will report back in a week or so I guess after using the car a bit more.

I coded out the low beam bulb checks using Ncs expert so that I wouldn't need to fit the extra canbus cancellers etc... This was a bit of a mission as I hadn't coded anything for best part of 3 yrs I reckon....

The bulbs were a pig to fit nicely as the bodies are so much bigger than OE H7 bulbs, but they DO fit 'plug n play' after much fiddling. No issue with covers refitting etc. (E91 LCI Halogens for reference)

They claim to only be around 50% brighter than stock Halogens, and don't have any wild lumen claims that some have so I am only expecting a slight improvement. I had some MTEC bulbs in before for low beam and as nice and white they looked, the output onto the road was awful.

Last edited by P14kle; 11-04-2018 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #151
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Retrofit LED works great on projector style halogen lights but if anyone has reflector lights please for gawd sake don't fit HID or LED. Now that the nights are getting darker here in the UK the glare from reflectors with HID or LED is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #152
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Retrofit LED works great on projector style halogen lights but if anyone has reflector lights please for gawd sake don't fit HID or LED. Now that the nights are getting darker here in the UK the glare from reflectors with HID or LED is nuts.
HID's a definite no no, but if you fit the right LED's in to reflector lenses as documented by myself and others in this thread you'll be absolutely fine. Mine are great with a good beam pattern that fully complies with an MOT test and don't cause glare for oncoming traffic. My car was only MOT'd just over a week ago with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #153
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Agree with the above. 😎
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #154
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

Exclamation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Nice find though I wouldn't be too sure about the lack of additional units, you will need the CANBUS units otherwise you'll throw errors - https://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/...kits/H7-ledkit

They might fit in the headlight housing though....
I would be worried about the throw of the beam with that large single LED?

From what i am discovering the smaller and concentrated the LED(s), the more it will mimic a halogen incandescent bulb, which non-xenon stock reflectors and projectors were designed for. Might fail an MOT too.
Appreciate 0