E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > never ending story...broken wastegate

10-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

never ending story...broken wastegate

Hi Guys!

Just a little sad story.

My mods:

Jb3 1,4
AR catted dp's
dci
bastuck
wavetrac

For a couple of months a have had problems with my car going into limpmode at gearshift just before redline and this has been driving me crazy. The codes i been reading with the bt cable has been more or less 30FF & 30FE. So i left my car at my shop and had a pressuretest done on the car and they found a leak just by one off the tubes to the ic. I was so happy when i picked up the car at shop...thought that now the problem was solved!

Couple of days later i went to my friend enrita (memeber here at e90) to do some pulls together...and guess what...same problem again!! Got limp just before gearshift at redline. Did some testing right after doing hard pulls on map 0 (stock) NO limps what so ever....Now i really begin to thinking of selling the damn car!!!! But i did not....Instead i talked to my dear friend enrita again about my problems and he told me to buy 02sims.....and see if that would make some change. So i did and he helped me install them. Right after this we took the car for a testdrive on map 7 to do some bt-logs and the problems were GONE!!! Finally i had a 100% working car again.

So after that the car has worked almost perfect (for two weeks) besides two random limps when pushing the car to its limits. Checked the car again just out of curiosity and found 30FF and 30FE again but i was not really worried about that then because i thought that it just had to do with me testing a new jb3 beta. So last week i finally recived my helix fmic and left my car at the shop again to install that beauty...at the same time i asked them to remove my cats in my ar dp's just to squeeze out the last few hp's in my car...and increase the exhaust sound a bit.

My mods now:

Jb3 1,4
AR catless dp's
Helix fmic
dci
bastuck
wavetrac lsd

This time i was soooo excited when i got my car back from the shop. I did not had the chance to really try it out at my way home because i had my daughter with me and the wife was out this night with her girlfriends. But when i drove the car home it feelt so much stronger and the sound of it was just amazing. Next morning a had the chance when going in to town for muay thai practice. The car felt amazing i could do pull after pull after pull without any power/boost cut and the ait never rasied above 95-100F and the car felt so much stronger thru the hole rpm/powerband and the boost raised so much faster than before...i could see peaks at 19PSI and the car was boosting solid 15,5-17PSI all the time...I was so happy!!!

After practice i went home again with a new big smile in my face thinking finally all the problems with the car is gone...did some more spiritual driving on my way home...no problem what so ever....I was siting there in my car daydreaming thinking my life was quite nice at the moment when suddenly a hear some monstercar coming up in my back mirrror...guess what? a brand new ferrari california.....He He He.. guess what...now its time to se what this thing could do....not that i thought i would win but i had to try the guy out so i shifted down to third gear and floored it.....so when i shifted up to fourth gear with the ferrari in my tail the car LIMPED!!!!! I thought my fuc*ing god this does no happen to me now...!!!but it just did. So i had to break the race and pulled the car over to the roadside.

When i started the car again i was hearing rattling noise under the car.....when driving home after this incident the car had problem to build boost and the exhaust was sounding quiet weird....and then the car got back on track again and was boosting normally.....and so it has been back and forth now for two days. So i left the car AGAIN at my tuningshop.....And guess what!! BROKEN WATEGATE on the rear turbo....

So now i'll have to pay the damn guys again to take the intercooler and downpipes off !!!

So i'll guess it would be at least a month before im back on track again paying the guys again to install all the parts. I REALLY hope bmw will change the turbos on goodwill?? My car is 2007 years model with 30 000 miles on the meter, should i worry?? And if they change it on goodwill, will the change both turbos because i NOT spending more money on taking this damn things of again if the other turbo/wastegate stops working....

Thanks for listening, just felt like writing this to ease up some anger i have inside me right now....Just about now im thinking of going out to my car with a baseball bat.....

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

sucks Bomis.. when you think all is working fine than this happens... Hope BMW will fix the wastegate asap otherwise where do i find another Stage 3 JB3 Car? Cheer up at least is almost winter, think if this happened in june or something..
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i'm curious.... define 'broken wastegate' ... bad actuator ? or ? ??

(and of course I'm sorry about the troubles..etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

That's some pretty high boost sir.

Sorry to hear your troubles, hopefully you get her back on the road soon. That's one of the reasons I do all my mods myself, so I know everything's installed properly and in the event things go pear shaped, I know how to put it back to stock.

Damn though, hope it works out for you. How did they gut your cats??
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
sucks Bomis.. when you think all is working fine than this happens... Hope BMW will fix the wastegate asap otherwise where do i find another Stage 3 JB3 Car? Cheer up at least is almost winter, think if this happened in june or something..
Thanks man!! And thanks for all the advices on the way through out all my problems that i have experienced with the damn car....Everything just feels so damn unfair right now....just been paying for the installments and now paying even more to take the damn things of again....and again pay the guys even more after getting my car back from bmw hopefully with new turbos....im thinking of just driving the car fully stock over the winter when its fixed...probably it would feels so much more funnier to drive next spring with all the mods installed back on the car then....

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
i'm curious.... define 'broken wastegate' ... bad actuator ? or ? ??

(and of course I'm sorry about the troubles..etc)
yes, it does not close the wastegate properly....when im doing full throttle sometimes the car acts just like its limping/cutting boost, and it sounds like the exhaust is stucked full with cotton wool when this events occurs....

Last edited by Bomis; 10-05-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I had my wastegate/turbos replaced under warranty with my intercooler and downpipes installed without any issues from the dealer. I had the wastegate rattle issue.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
That's some pretty high boost sir.

Sorry to hear your troubles, hopefully you get her back on the road soon. That's one of the reasons I do all my mods myself, so I know everything's installed properly and in the event things go pear shaped, I know how to put it back to stock.

Damn though, hope it works out for you. How did they gut your cats??
Thanks man, yes hopefully i will....i wished i could do all this things by my self but i suck almost on everyhing that has to do with working with my hands...

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
per
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Sorry to hear Bomis, look at the bright side, perfect time to order a turbo upgrade!
      10-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I had my wastegate/turbos replaced under warranty with my intercooler and downpipes installed without any issues from the dealer. I had the wastegate rattle issue.

Mike
Hi Mike!

Thanks for some awesome products! Just wished the damn car would work properly sometime.....

So you dont think that would make them suspicious or even say that those would be the cause of the failing turbos?? Do you think they will switch both or just the one that is broken?? They refused to switch both the turbos on my friends car when just one of the wastegates was broken....

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by per View Post
Sorry to hear Bomis, look at the bright side, perfect time to order a turbo upgrade!
Hi Per!

Everything fine with you? Really loved your dkg transmission.......Yes i would have been but im not getting the old turbos back from bmw, right?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post
Hi Mike!

Thanks for some awesome products! Just wished the damn car would work properly sometime.....

So you dont think that would make them suspicious or even say that those would be the cause of the failing turbos?? Do you think they will switch both or just the one that is broken?? They refused to switch both the turbos on my friends car when just one of the wastegates was broken....
Can't say for sure... Really depends on the dealer and you would be the only one to know how they treat the locals.

If the dealer is not mod friendly then the DPs should be removed, but I think it would be safe to leave the intercooler. Hard to imagine that being blamed for a wastegate issue which is a know problem to BMW.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #13
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

They keep the turbos unfortunately .. but you can find second hand ones for 350 USD . You could try to buy just the actuator from BMW and let the shop install it and calibrate it.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Wow bro that sucks these cars can really piss a guy off .

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
They keep the turbos unfortunately .. but you can find second hand ones for 350 USD . You could try to buy just the actuator from BMW and let the shop install it and calibrate it.
is that a possability?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
Wow bro that sucks these cars can really piss a guy off .
LOL tell me about it....

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post
is that a possability?
Well the actuator is the problem, not the turbo or wastegate. But hey, if you can get new turbos on good will and insurance than i would go that route.
lets remove piggy, o2 sims and put back OEM intake on sunday. Than remove Dps at the shop , check codes and take the car to BMW .
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Well the actuator is the problem, not the turbo or wastegate. But hey, if you can get new turbos on good will and insurance than i would go that route.
lets remove piggy, o2 sims and put back OEM intake on sunday. Than remove Dps at the shop , check codes and take the car to BMW .
WORD! thanks man you are AWESOME! Do you think i should leave the fmic on?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Hmmm....maybe there should be a market for Aftermarket Wastgate rods and actuators
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Think you can find those on ebay as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Hmmm....maybe there should be a market for Aftermarket Wastgate rods and actuators
Or maybe some sponsor looking for someone to marketing their aftermarket turbos here in Sweden? LOL

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #22
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

I thought the turbo/wastegate on the N54 platform had to be purchased together (in one piece)???
Appreciate 0