E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Grinding noise from auto folding mirrors....worth a complaint?

07-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Grinding noise from auto folding mirrors....worth a complaint?

When I auto fold my mirrors on my car, the passenger side one is either faster or slower than the driver side mirror and also makes a subtle grinding/clicking noise when folding. Something to worry about and is it worth mentioning to the dealer to replace the motor in it so it moves smoothly? Also, do your auto folds move at the same pace with each other? I know the driver side mirror is a decent bit larger naturally, but I highly doubt a few extra grams of weight would affect the folding speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
When I auto fold my mirrors on my car, the passenger side one is either faster or slower than the driver side mirror and also makes a subtle grinding/clicking noise when folding. Something to worry about and is it worth mentioning to the dealer to replace the motor in it so it moves smoothly? Also, do your auto folds move at the same pace with each other? I know the driver side mirror is a decent bit larger naturally, but I highly doubt a few extra grams of weight would affect the folding speed.
I wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer for it, but something to bring up the next time you're there.

My mirrors make the same grinding noise (probably because they are mechanically-driven), but they fold in at the same time and they don't make any clicking noises.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Although the mirrors should fold at the same pace, they will not "arrive" at their final resting positions at the same time. This is because the driver's side mirror has further to travel--the mirrors are not symmetrical in angle in their normal positions (passenger side mirror is angled a few more degrees inboard to account for the offset driving position).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
mine stop or turn in at different speeds
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Although the mirrors should fold at the same pace, they will not "arrive" at their final resting positions at the same time. This is because the driver's side mirror has further to travel--the mirrors are not symmetrical in angle in their normal positions (passenger side mirror is angled a few more degrees inboard to account for the offset driving position).
Even though my car isn't perfectly straight on (it's close), you can see the passenger mirror's angle. It's just as you described. Just slightly in vis a vis the driver mirror.

07-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
fruition3000
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Down Ocean Drive

Mine makes the same noise
      12-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just noticed that my two side mirrors don't "arrive" at the tucked-in position at the same time. The driver's side takes a while longer than the passenger side.

Also, is there a limit as to how many times you can open and close the mirrors in a specific period of time? Because I kept pressing the button to open and close (to see if there is an instance when both will tuck in at the same time), and after a few times, the mirrors were unresponsive.

I waited a while, and then it started operating again.

Thanks for any insights in this.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
the two mirrors go at different speeds, but there should not be any clicking noise from the mirrors
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Deltari09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 3-Series Coupe

i think this is fine. they don't usually come together at the same time for me and there's the whine and the tick-tick-tick-tick-tick when they fold. never had problems with it on any of my bmws
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Funny this was brought up again. As mentioned above, the driver side takes longer to fold because it has a longer distance to travel from open to shut (motor speed is the same). Out of nowhere my mirror stopped clicking on its own and now they act as they should.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
LAfive0
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

I had this same issue, when I took it to the dealer the service guy told me it was a known issue and that they would take care of it. I dont know what they did but the noises went away and its been fine since then.
Appreciate 0