E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oem battery vs lightweight battery

11-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

oem battery vs lightweight battery

My car is in need of a battery change and since it is a 335xi weight is a killer im looking to change it out to a lightweight battery to save a few lbs and a few hundred dollars i cant seem to find the specs on the oem battery though after relentless searching and was wondering if anyone had thoughs,opinions,experience and what not on them!!! here is what im considering
http://hpashop.com/Braille-Lightweig...?categoryId=-1

thank you
      11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
lbernielu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, sp, Bilstein, H&R

Exclamation

Probably more than one battery has been specified, such as 70 and 90 ah capacity, AGM and non-AGM. Those batteries are all listed in the required registration that must be programed for proper charging values (there are numerous posts on this subject). I personally have a Deka Exact fit 95? ah AGM replacement, the largest and heaviest possible at 60 odd pounds. The extreme lightweight batteries probably will not last 5 plus years, and may present cold weather starting issues. The weight savings, even if considerable, are not worth the additional cost over several years and loss of reliability to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbernielu View Post
Probably more than one battery has been specified, such as 70 and 90 ah capacity, AGM and non-AGM. Those batteries are all listed in the required registration that must be programed for proper charging values (there are numerous posts on this subject). I personally have a Deka Exact fit 95? ah AGM replacement, the largest and heaviest possible at 60 odd pounds. The extreme lightweight batteries probably will not last 5 plus years, and may present cold weather starting issues. The weight savings, even if considerable, are not worth the additional cost over several years and loss of reliability to me.
+1. And there are probably 3 or 4 different OEM batteries depending on the OP's equipment, so he really should have a dealer or competent Indy handle it and the registration.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
+1 for the two posters above I don't think it will last as long. You may also go to leave to go somewhere to find out you have a dead battery. The 335i has a lot of components that run after the car is shut off to keep oil in turbos cool and them if you have more options like navi and many other goodies your car needs a larger battery BMW actually requires a minimum amount of miles driven per day or to buy a trickle charger to keep life in the battery. BMW also has made battery's larger because of those issues.

I'd also say that 40 plus pounds keeps you closer to that 50/50 weight ratio I'm sure you need the xdrive but Id reduce weight by going to 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

wow you save like 2lbs? That's a negligible amount relative to the total weight car. If you want weight reduction, sell your 335xi and get a 335i. Then rip out the interior, passenger seats, insulation, cats, replace hood and trunk with carbon fiber counterparts, and replace driver seat with racing seat. Then, you have my permission to get a light weight battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You could go with a Lithium Ion battery...they only weigh like 10 lbs and really aren't all that expensive at all lol $1500
http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/auto.html
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
wow you save like 2lbs? That's a negligible amount relative to the total weight car. If you want weight reduction, sell your 335xi and get a 335i. Then rip out the interior, passenger seats, insulation, cats, replace hood and trunk with carbon fiber counterparts, and replace driver seat with racing seat. Then, you have my permission to get a light weight battery.
saving close to 40 lbs which would be the same as a race seat savings and the total combination of both cf hood and trunk.. in terms of 50/50 the front on xi is I believe 53% of weight and 47% in rear.. the xi sucks weight wise it was impossible to find a aw/cr 335i fully loaded with under 40k miles for the price I wanted and never been modified or in an accident and properly taken care of.. I am not looking to go all out reducing weight and being a race car im happy with a comfortable fast car I am just looking ta the savings of $250 from oem battery and the 40lbs.. take the savings where I can and since a battery is needed why not.. I am still undecided but I will keep you guys up to date.. as far as I am aware some people have run these and they have lasted for 4-5 years never a problem and never having to be coded with the car!