E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2009 X5 (E70) 35d: rough idle, half engine sign, and injector codes

10-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 760li, 2012 650i

2009 X5 (E70) 35d: rough idle, half engine sign, and injector codes

The problem is solved on 10/20/18

Hello All,

I have a 2009 X5 35d. It had rough idle, half engine sign and finally it would stop. I checked the codes using a generic OBD2 reader and following codes were found:

Fault Code: P0273 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Low
Fault Code: P0276 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Low
Fault Code: P0305 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
Fault Code: P0300 Fault Explanation: Random Misfire Detected
Fault Code: P3148 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 1 High Pressure Injector High Side Shorted to Coil
Fault Code: P1729 Fault Explanation: Engine High Rotational Irregularity

I took the car to a local mechanic and he said that injector 6 needs to be replaced. He did and the engine was still running rough. He told me that the injector needs to be coded and he is unable to do it. I had the car towed to the dealer and they coded the injector but it did not fix the problem. I had them run a diagnostics and this is what the dealer said:

“PERFORMED SHORT TEST. FOUND FAULT FOR CYLINDER 1 INJECTOR ACTIVATION AND OPERATIONAL SMOOTHNESS FOR CYLINDER 1 AND 5. WORKED THROUGH AVAILABLE TEST PLAN, CORRECTION FUEL INJECTION QUANTITIES FOR CYLINDER 1 AND 5 EXCEEDED LIMITATIONS. PER TEST PLAN, RECOMMENDED INJECTORS 1 AND 5 REPLACEMENT”

I declined the repair (which was ridiculously expensive) and took it to the same local mechanic and had him replace injectors 1 and 5 that I bought from ECS tuning. The mechanic said it was running well. We idled the car at the mechanics and reved it a few times, the rough idle and the half engine sign came back after approximately 5-10 minutes. The mechanic read the codes and they were as follows:

Fault Code: 004593 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004CE7 Fault Explanation: Misfire detection cylinder 2 number of detected failures too high

We took the car home, deleted the codes with Carly and after several minutes of idle, the car started running rough again and sometimes it would show the half engine sign. The codes were as follows:

Fault Code: 004BCF Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 4, control
Fault Code: 004F6F Fault Explanation: :Error hydraulic pump / high torsional vibrations
Fault Code: 00A811 Fault Explanation: :Energy-saving mode active
Fault Code: 00A8C5 Fault Explanation: aytime running lights left defective
Fault Code: 00A83A Fault Explanation: :Lever invalid positio / (Write EEPROM) Internal error: controller / UNDERVOLTAGE

Then, I ordered the Bimmer Geeks’ usb cable and tried to code the injectors 1 & 5 but INPA would not connect. I got the ISTA+ and was able to code injectors 1&5 and verified that all the other injectors are properly coded. Thereafter, I had the car idled for a while until it showed the half engine. I added TECHRON diesel fuel injector cleaner and idled it a few more times. Read the codes again with ISTA+ and here are the codes:

This afternoon, we took it for a slow drive around the neighborhood and it goes into limp mode almost immediately. I read the codes with Carly after the short drive and here they are:

Fault Code: 004592 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 4
Fault Code: 004BCF Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 4, control
Fault Code: 00480A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system
Fault Code: 00481A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system
Fault Code: 004F6F Fault Explanation: Error hydraulic pump / high torsional vibrations
Fault Code: 00A811 Fault Explanation: Energy-saving mode active
Fault Code: 00A8C5 Fault Explanation: Daytime running lights left defective

After clearing the codes with Carly, I had the car idle for 5 minutes or so until half engine sign showed up. Here are the codes by ISTA+:

BTW, the car hardly ever runs without a misfire for 5 minutes continuously.

I would like to get your feedback as to what I should do next short of replacing the injectors. I am new to ISTA+ but if you can tell me how to, I should be able to provide any diagnostics information if it helps.
Thanks in advance!
BMWerkeUS

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 10-20-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: Based on a suggestion by mefferso on xbimmers.com, I ran ISTA+ to see if I had CBU issue. Here are the results:

My swirl flap test is said to be not OK. Does that mean 95% is not good enough or perhaps I did something wrong during the test?
I monitored the set point and the actual value for swirl flap for a short while and they were identical.

BTW, I replaced/coded the injector 4 in the meantime and the engine is still running rough. Here are the new codes:

Fault Code: 004593 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004CE7 Fault Explanation: Misfire detection cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004BC9 Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 2, control
Fault Code: 00480A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system

It is strange that every time we replace an injector, another injector becomes problematic.

BTW: Will resetting the "Correction values of injectors" without CBU cleaning help/hurt anything?

Thanks

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 10-14-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update #2
Here are the minimum/maximum fuel injection correction rates including injector 2 (apperent source of trouble). I ran this diagnostics earlier today:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I would suggest opening up the manifold an inspecting for CBU/or swirl flap issue. Run two tankfuls with hotshots diesel extreme to clean the other injectors and reset all adaptations. Rough idle is a classic sign of CBU. But less usual on x5, unless you are high mileage or do a lot of short trips.

Try posting pics on North America BMW Diesel owner's group on Facebook. You may have people local to you that can better help diagnose. Sprintersupply has injectors a bit cheaper than ECS
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hello dman2b,

I actually inspected the intake for CBU when I replaced injector 4. It was not too bad and ISTA+ Intake Port Sooting diagnostics confirms that. As for the swirl flops, I did not look at them. I will when/if I replace injector 2 but again ISTA+ says they are OK. (I reran the test tonight) As for running two tankfuls with hotshots, the car is not derivable at all. It barely idles in the garage for 5 minutes before going into limp mode. Current tank has TECHRON additive. At this rate, it will probably take me a month to run it through.

It seems to me that as the engine gets hot, the situation gets worse.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Update the SW of your DDE. Some old SW would trigger injector replacements with no results. Read the UIF field of the DDE an post the integration level.
If you found ISTA+ you should be able to find ISTA-P as well (reflash with that). But you will need a good power supply.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Mik325tds for the suggestion!
I will look into getting ISTA/P but I am not even sure how to get UIF. I asked around and one of the local shops can update the DDE for $120. If I cannot figure it out, I will have him update it.
PS: I do have a battery charger/tender that I use pretty much every time I use ISTA+.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #8
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Agree with Mik325tds, update to latest software. Dealer is always a good but expensive option.
Then with injector replacement make sure you reset all adaptations. Mean quantity is one of them. ISTA walks you through that. Chances are kdcan cable is too slow for that. See what you get after that. Then you can always swap injectors around and see if codes follow.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

This has many of the hallmarks of a carbon build-up problem. Check the SIB, which is around here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Yozh and floydarogers!

I want to make sure that I am understanding correctly your statement "reset all adaptations". Are you saying that the following adaptations MUST be reset after injector replacement? Please note that I did not do CBU cleaning.
1) mean quantity adaptions
2) Rail pressure regulating valve
3) Air mass flow sensor
4) Increment wheel
5) injectors

Anything else?

This are take from Mik325tds' post here:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #11
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Yes. But the first two are unlikely to be reset with a simple kdcan cable. Too slow. You need an icon setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:
The new injector arrived today and we replaced the injector 2 and coded it using ISTA+. Then, we reset successfully the following adaptations (BTW, I am using the Beemer Geeks USB cable):
1) Mean quantity adaptions
3) Air mass flow sensor
4) injectors

"Increment wheel" reset did not work for some reason.

Then attempted to start the car. It took about 4 tries. Stopped it and cleared all the spurious codes but Boost-pressure sensor, signal (003F01) came back immediately resulting in the half engine sign (I think). We started the car but it took 3 to 4 cranks and drove it for 90 miles of which 60 miles was on a highway at 60 miles an hour. The highway driving was done to regenerate the DPF per Carly. We will check tomorrow if the regeneration worked. In any case, even though the half engine sign was there, the car appeared to drive normally and the engine is very smooth while driving. At idle, there appears to be still some roughness (compared to an e90 335i) but nowhere near how it was before. I still have the Boost-pressure sensor, signal (003F01) code stored in the DDE. We saw also the following code: Rail Pressure monitoring on engine start (004B90). I am wondering if 4B90 has anything to do with long crank that I am experiencing now? Do these messages indicate that I am going to need new sensors?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/recommendation, I think we are almost there.

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 10-20-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update 2:
This morning I read up on "Boost-pressure sensor, signal (003F01)" and it sounded like either I have a bad boost pressure sensor or I forgot to plug it back in after injector installation. Sure enough, it was not plugged in. I plugged it in and started the engine and now half engine sign is gone. We read the error codes with ISTA+ and deleted them. The only code we have now is the faulty daytime running light. Will go out for a drive and see how it does. The idle is still not as smooth as I would expect compared to N54/55.
I will provide another update. Thereafter I plan to summarize the DIY's, tools and software I used along with what worked for me and what did not.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update 3:
We drove about 110 miles (Highway+in town) this afternoon and did not see any issues whatsoever. I am thinking that the car is fixed for now. We will see if it can handle JBD in the coming weeks.

PS: I plan to post the summary of my experience tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWerkeUSA View Post
Update:
The new injector arrived today and we replaced the injector 2 and coded it using ISTA+. Then, we reset successfully the following adaptations (BTW, I am using the Beemer Geeks USB cable):
1) Mean quantity adaptions
3) Air mass flow sensor
4) injectors

"Increment wheel" reset did not work for some reason.

Then attempted to start the car. It took about 4 tries. Stopped it and cleared all the spurious codes but Boost-pressure sensor, signal (003F01) came back immediately resulting in the half engine sign (I think). We started the car but it took 3 to 4 cranks and drove it for 90 miles of which 60 miles was on a highway at 60 miles an hour. The highway driving was done to regenerate the DPF per Carly. We will check tomorrow if the regeneration worked. In any case, even though the half engine sign was there, the car appeared to drive normally and the engine is very smooth while driving. At idle, there appears to be still some roughness (compared to an e90 335i) but nowhere near how it was before. I still have the Boost-pressure sensor, signal (003F01) code stored in the DDE. We saw also the following code: Rail Pressure monitoring on engine start (004B90). I am wondering if 4B90 has anything to do with long crank that I am experiencing now? Do these messages indicate that I am going to need new sensors?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/recommendation, I think we are almost there.
Not being able to reset "increment wheel adaptions" is a definite sign of older DDE SW. That one was introduced in the newest SW to help with rough engine idle after CBU cleaning.
But what I learned recently was that resetting the correction values of the injector was the biggest winner for engine smoothness after CBU cleaning. Yet, this is a moot point since you stated you didn't clean the CBU.
BTW, that would be a good test for you to do. There's a test in ISTA that runs the engine at different speeds and figures out if you have CBU buildup in the intake. I believe it is under service functions, intake sooting.
Definitely safe that old injector. I don't think it is toast necessarily and your codes may come back.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Not being able to reset "increment wheel adaptions" is a definite sign of older DDE SW. That one was introduced in the newest SW to help with rough engine idle after CBU cleaning.
But what I learned recently was that resetting the correction values of the injector was the biggest winner for engine smoothness after CBU cleaning. Yet, this is a moot point since you stated you didn't clean the CBU.
BTW, that would be a good test for you to do. There's a test in ISTA that runs the engine at different speeds and figures out if you have CBU buildup in the intake. I believe it is under service functions, intake sooting.
Definitely safe that old injector. I don't think it is toast necessarily and your codes may come back.
Mik325tds,

I actually ran the the Intake Port Sooting diagnostics test using ISTA+ a few days ago and the results indicated that I don't have a CBU problem. When I was changing the injector 2 (the last one we changed) I did a visual inspection. The ports, the EGR as well as throttle body weren't looking too bad.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Okay. Cool.
I still recommend the SW update.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #18
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I recommend 5 more injectors and CBU cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #19
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

2009 X5 (E70) 35d: rough idle, half engine sign, and injector codes (SOLVED)

As promised, here is the summary of my experience:
  1. DIY's used
  2. What I did differently versus the DIY's
  3. Softwere used

I used the following DIY for removing (or actually tilting) the intake manifold:

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...low-plugs.html

I cannot really improve upon this great DIY except to point out that it is more than just removing the intake manifold. Therefore, if you are just trying to replace the injectors, you do not need to remove the hex bolts (red arrows in the following image) that connect the EGR to the manifold via a bracket (green arrow in the following image. Please note that the nut pointed by the yellow arrow has to be removed). You can keep the EGR and throttle body attached to the intake manifold when you tilt it out of the way (this is actually mentioned in the DIY itself but a bit later).

I used the following DIY for replacing the injectors:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290545

This is another one of great DIY’s out there. A colleague of mine welded a 3/8” nut to an M14 1.5 Lug Nut and he was nice enough to drill and tap the back of the lug nut as well (see image below). I tried for hours but was unable to hammer the injector out. I put a lot of WD40 around the injector and let it soak overnight. I tried in the morning without success. I bought a slide hammer (~$18 with coupon) from Harbor Freight and a long (18”) threaded rod (3/8”). Fortunately, the hole of the 2lb weight was large enough that it could be used as a slider hammer with the 3/8” threaded rod (see image below). It only took 3-5 tries and the injector came out without any problem. Thanks to the double nuts on the rod (see second image below), I used it both to get the old injector out and to tap very gently the new one in place so that I can start the nuts of the bracket of the injector.

I pretty much followed the DIY as is except that Instead of buying 3/8" x 10" lag bolt to get the cupper washer out, I used the Metal Magnet Pick up Tool where the tip of the tool fit just tight enough in the hole of the washer that I was able to pull it out.

The above DIY did not mention anything about resetting the adaptation but in my case based on the feedback from couple of the members, I went ahead and reset the adaptation as was mentioned in my earlier posts.

Software Used:
  1. Generic OBD2 reader (borrowed from AutoZone for ~$250). You get your money back when you return it.
  2. Carly for BMW (Android App + Carly Second Generation Bluetooth adaptor)
  3. ISTA+ and BimmerGeeks' Pro-K+Dcan Cable (~$45). What I like about this cable is that there is a switch that affectively allows you to use the cable with the earlier models (by connecting the pins 7&8) and later models.

In order to code the injectors and reset the adaptations, you will need to have ISTA+. Carly or a generic OBDII reader won’t do it (BTW, I was not able to get INPA communicate with my E70 and so I don't know if it can be done using INPA or not.)

Thanks

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 10-23-2018 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
Owen8183.00
      12-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #20
burt6248
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 3.0sd

Hi did you get rid of error hydraulic pump issue or did it persist. Thanks
Appreciate 0