E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 29CF code... help

08-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

29CF code... help

Hi guys, my car is sick and I need help.

Symptoms:

When going WOT below 3000rpm, the car hesitates, takes a while to build boost. If I go WOT above 4000rpm, no problem, it pulls without hesitation. It has been doing this for over a week now. At first, I was thinking about a boost leak caused by my stock diverter valves because my stock charge pipe was covered with oil on the outside where the front DV connects to the pipe, so I replaced it with an ER charge pipe. Issue not resolved... On the plus side, I now get a sweet PSSHHH sound every time I get off the gas

Tonight, I got tired of the shaking and not seeing any code, so I tried back to back WOT below 3000rpm to trigger a CEL. It finally popped up, WOT in 4th starting at 2000rpm and CEL came up. Code 29CF, cylinder #3 misfire. The car ran on 5 legs, shaking real bad, clearly one of the cylinders stopped firing. I drove it about half a mile, then pulled into a parking lot, turned the engine off. When I turned it back on, CEL was off, and engine stopped shaking, everything back to normal.

My car has 88k miles, with only mods being JB4 (map 5), BMS DCI and now an ER Charge pipe with Tial BOV. I'm going to replace all 6 plugs because they're due at 90k miles anyways, but I really doubt it's the cause for the misfire, otherwise it would also give me trouble above 4k rpm, and not only at low rpm.

Next thing is either the injector, or the coil. I'm going to swap coil #3 with coil #4, and try to trigger another CEL. If the code comes back as a 29CF, then I'll know it's the injector and will take it to the dealership to have it replaced under CPO. If it's the coil, then I'll order one and replace it myself.

Am I overlooking anything? What do you guys think? Is it more likely to be a coil or an injector?

Question, what is the cylinder # arrangement on the n54 engine? Is #1 cylinder the one close to the bumper, or the one close to the firewall?

Question #2, if the issue comes from the injector, I'll remove my JB4 just to be sure, but should replace my ER charge pipe back with the stock charge pipe before taking it in to the dealer? Can they refuse warranty work because of the aftermarket charge pipe and BOV?

Last edited by Gizm0; 08-31-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

what was fix?
Appreciate 0