E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > FRM blown??

06-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
wfo777
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

FRM blown??

2011 328 Xi
Car wouldn’t start ,so I jumped it. After it started the lights ,side marker and windows didn’t work . From what I understand that’s the FRM module problem .
When I change the battery will I still have that issue ? Could the low battery voltage and starting it blow the FRM?
Thx for any input.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #2
s_napster
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 2013 Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo777 View Post
2011 328 Xi
Car wouldn’t start ,so I jumped it. After it started the lights ,side marker and windows didn’t work . From what I understand that’s the FRM module problem .
When I change the battery will I still have that issue ? Could the low battery voltage and starting it blow the FRM?
Thx for any input.
from my experience yes. I had a dying battery. if the car sat for more than 24h it would need jumping. then frm started acting up, a week later it got fried and could not lock the car. had to replace battery, frm, fuel door lock since it got fried too, and coding. expect to be charged anywhere from 4k and up for all of that. I fixed it myself with a help of a friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
ian3924
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i 6MT

Hey how are you guys preventing your FRM from bricking when disconnecting the battery for maintenance? I know theres a recall but its happened to me twice already and I really couldnt be bothered to wait for an appointment through bmw and have been taking it out and bringing it to a local guy to do a eeprom reflash or whatever. Im looking for prevention methods and ordered this cable to give it a try. What do you guys use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MP...b_b_asin_title
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3924 View Post
Hey how are you guys preventing your FRM from bricking when disconnecting the battery for maintenance? I know theres a recall but its happened to me twice already and I really couldnt be bothered to wait for an appointment through bmw and have been taking it out and bringing it to a local guy to do a eeprom reflash or whatever. Im looking for prevention methods and ordered this cable to give it a try. What do you guys use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MP...b_b_asin_title
Did not know this was a problem. So leaving it without power for an extended time is not good? Any more information on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
ian3924
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJ22 View Post
Did not know this was a problem. So leaving it without power for an extended time is not good? Any more information on this?
As far as I know it only affects vehicles equipped with the FRM3. Leaving it without power is fine but to my knowledge the problem comes from voltage changes (disconnecting/reconnecting battery terminals or jump starting) which can lead to 2 problems.

1. Short circuit counter reached X amount and has to be reset via tool32

2. The frm dump file has become corrupt and the frm must be removed and the EEPROM chip must be bench flashed using programs and coding I have no knowledge how to use.

You can read more about it here the first link talks about the easier problem to fix (tool 32 SCC reset) and the second is how to do the eeprom bench flash

https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-footwell-module-frm/
https://carscanners.net/how-to-repair-bmw-frm-module/
Appreciate 0